first time on camp site

KD

hi all, having only ever stayed in a static caravan on site, we have no idea of what to do on arrival, hook up and toilet contents disposal or any thing else on our first outing in our new motorhome. any advise no matter how obvious would be very much appreciated. we are also planing our first trip to be in derbyshire advice on good sites recommended would also be appreciated, thanks dean

Hi K&D

Hope you enjoy your motorhome I know we enjoy ours.

~We have found it is easier to sort the cassette toilet out before we set off then we can use it if needed en route. You will need to put some water and fluid in. Thetford have a video on their website. You can probably get away with emptying every couple days,

You can either fill up with water at home or on site. It is easier to do this before you actually get onto your pitch. Most people forget once in a while.

You will need to pay at some point.

Once onto a pitch make sure you're level then put the hook up in.

Derbyshire there are loads of sites, Caravan CLub and Camping and Caravanning club have lots.

Enjoy yourself and don't worry too much, practise at home filling up etc if you are worried.

K&D. Welcome.

First off, ask.

The site operators should tell you where everything is anyway. But.

Don't forget to ask about the m/home grey water dump point they often forget about that and assume you are equipped as a caravan with a grey water roll along cassette.

Take it slowly and enjoy yourself.

Hi K&D

There is a 'proper' sequence to hooking up to avoid the possibility of accidents.

Switch off your mains electric at the mains box in the motorhome.

Plug the blue socket into the motorhome first.

Then unwind the cable fully and plug the other end into the hook up post on site. (Don't forget if you use Caravan Club sites that you will need to twist the blue plug once it is inserted into the hook up post to make the contact. When disconnecting there is a red button at the side of the plug to release it).

Go back to the motorhome and switch on the mains power.

If you have a plug in tester use this to test for any electrical problems with the site supply (particularly important on many continental sites).

Get kettle out of cupbaord and make first cup of tea before proceeding.

Have a great time - best regards, David

PS - The Caravan Club site at Castleton in Derbyshire is very good - especially if you are into walking etc.

Derek500

Can you tell me if your inverter is a plugin one or connected to the battery and if a plugin one, does it make a noise? We have a 300W plugin inverter which makes a noise like a fan when switched on and because I don't have contact with anyone who has one I don't know whether this is right.

Sylvia

When we bought our MH the dealer fitted a 300w inverter directly to the battery. You could hear the fan all the time.

That inverter packed up on the way to the UK at Christmas, and we bought a replacement in Maplins (£29.99, 300w).

It came with a cigar lighter plug or cables for direct connection. I fixed it in the same place where the broken one had been and used the existing wiring.

The Maplins one runs silently. If there's a bit of a surge when the TV switches on the fan runs for a split second but that's all.

My TV/SAT/Laptop combined are only using +/- 90 watts, I suppose if I were to increase the load to near 300w the fan might kick in more.

Archived