Halfords: Beware

Guest rael

Guest rael

Just got of the phone with my son. His girlfriend, who knows very little about cars. took her car into Halfords the other day to sort out a brake issue. She ended up paying over £200 to have new brake linings fitted. Whilst the car was in they 'looked' it over and told her she also needed new wishbones fitting at a cost of £700. They told her the car was due an MOT (28th May, which she knew) and would not pass for numerous other reasons. They also lied and told her the car was exempt from the MOT extension scheme.

This morning she and my son took the car to get a second opinion at another garage. After picking himself up off the floor when told the cost of fitting brake pads at Halfords, the mechanic kindly checked the car over. He said there were no issues at all with the wishbones and no other issues that would prevent it passing an MOT.

What makes it even more galling is she needs the car for work and works on a Covid-19 ward in Manchester, which she explained at Halfords. They were at the point of not letting her take the car as it was 'unsafe' and wanted to do the work immediately. Lesson learnt for her, but Halfords need to be having words with some of their staff.

Guest rael
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-23 1:17 PM

Well, you've told us, but has anyone affected made a formal complaint to Halfords?

All done and dusted.

Guest rael
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-23 1:46 PM

rael - 2020-05-23 12:31 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-23 1:17 PM

Well, you've told us, but has anyone affected made a formal complaint to Halfords?

All done and dusted.

Good. Result?

I'll post back, letting them sort it out.

Sometimes its difficult because there can be a genuine difference of opinion on whether components need replacing.

I take mine to a place that only does MOTS - so they have no incentive to advise unnecessary work.

One tester advised tyres were perished, I left them on and the following years they passed without comment.

Another one got an advisory for rusty wishbones, next year it went through without comment after the wishbones had been brushed with gear oil for corrosion protection.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-24 11:27 AM

They are not called Halfrauds for nothing. Find a trusted local garage and stick with them.

I agree with that.

From what I have seen their prices are about the same as Euro Car parts before the online discount (up to 50% if you use the new customer code) is taken off.

Archived