Giving the Knee

StuartO

malc d - 2020-06-10 11:49 AM

I agree with Stuart.

I think this comes under the heading of " Virtue Signalling ".

( … although, on the positive side - it does upset Donald Trump ! )

:-D

But on the other thread you said this asking why anyone would object to it;

malc d - 2020-06-10 11:42 AM

Anyone who can read the link will know that Starmer " took the knee " in support of the " Black Lives Matter " campaign - and to support those who are against anti-black racism.

Why would anyone object to that - unless they oppose his views on that subject.

:-(

Whilst it is a well meaning show of support, I've always thought that the act of "Taking the knee" (not "giving"), as with any other such "gesture", is something that should only really be carried out by someone who is of the "minority" or "discriminated against" group?

So when "white" folk do such things, out of context - especially older, well-to-do types- it does just look a bit too much like "virtue signalling" (and besides that, it just looks a bit cringey! )...

This current wave of "Taking the knee" for nine minutes, also strikes me as being in somewhat bad taste, considering the manner of George Floyd's death? I get the relevance...but really?... :-S

StuartO - 2020-06-10 11:22 AM

I can't see this sort of gesture doing any good really. Especially the images of policemen doing it on duty.

How does it compare with Elected leaders of this and other countries being expected to bow or curtsey to our Unelected one *-)

John52 - 2020-06-10 5:00 PM

I can't see this sort of gesture doing any good really. Especially the images of policemen doing it on duty.

How does it compare with Elected leaders of this and other countries being expected to bow or curtsey to our Unelected one *-)

Oh gawd !

Johns' off again.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-10 2:41 PM

I agree with Stuart.

Anyone who can read the link will know that Starmer " took the knee " in support of the " Black Lives Matter " campaign - and to support those who are against anti-black racism.

I'm not saying anyone should object to it, - I just can't see the point, especially among politicians.

:-|

malc d - 2020-06-10 5:08 PM

I agree with Stuart.

I'm not saying anyone should object to it, - I just can't see the point, especially among politicians.

:-|

Oh ok. Well it may well revert back to the raised right fist 'salute' which goes back over a century and still used.

I agree with Stuart.

( … although, on the positive side - it does upset Donald Trump ! ) :-D

Why would anyone object to that - unless they oppose his views on that subject. :-(

I'm not saying anyone should object to it, - I just can't see the point, especially among politicians. :-|

Votes? Or am I being too cynical? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-10 5:50 PM

I agree with Stuart.

Why would anyone object to that - unless they oppose his views on that subject. :-(

I'm not saying anyone should object to it, - I just can't see the point, especially among politicians. :-|

I wonder what Cummings will tell Boris Johnson to do.

;-)

malc d - 2020-06-10 9:08 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-10 5:50 PM

I agree with Stuart.

I wonder what Cummings will tell Boris Johnson to do.

;-)

He told him to make a speech saying black lives matter and he "totally gets it". But coming from a man who referred to black people as "piccaninnies", Muslim women as "letterboxes" and "bank robbers", Malaysian women "only go to university to find men to marry", amidst many other bigoted racist remarks, his sincerity is somewhat flawed!

Guest pelmetman

Have to agree with you :-| ..........

Just tokenism for the sake of tokenism *-) ..........

• 2 weeks later...

People have been kneeling like that at war memorials and graves to honour the dead for as long as I can remember.

So whats wrong with doing it to honour black people who have died?

Isn't it just saying Black Lives Matter too?

John52 - 2020-06-22 10:55 AM

People have been kneeling like that at war memorials and graves to honour the dead for as long as I can remember.

The kneeling here is just because the cops knelt on his neck. Though absolutely wrong,I don’t have a great deal of sympathy for him.

Then why dont they go to the grave of a black person ???

jumpstart - 2020-06-22 11:31 AM

The kneeling here is just because the cops knelt on his neck. .

Taking the knee has been going on for long before that ... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/18/dominic-raab-taking-the-knee-feels-like-symbol-of-subjugation

The pictures I have seen appear to show a policeman kneeling on the shoulder blades of the man on the floor, but we shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story should we.

There was a football match this evening somewhere up North, and the TV made a considerable effort to show this demonstration of poeple kneeling down in support of BLM as comprehensively as they could.

No effort was made to show any pictures of the light plane towing a banner bearing the statement " White Lives Matter " above the ground, and there has been total condemnation of this act. So what is it then, Black lives matter more than White lives, or should we perhaps start to think a little more about what is reported in the media before we encourage something we really don't want, .

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2020-06-22 11:16 PM

The pictures I have seen appear to show a policeman kneeling on the shoulder blades of the man on the floor, but we shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story should we.

There was a football match this evening somewhere up North, and the TV made a considerable effort to show this demonstration of poeple kneeling down in support of BLM as comprehensively as they could.

No effort was made to show any pictures of the light plane towing a banner bearing the statement " White Lives Matter " above the ground, and there has been total condemnation of this act. So what is it then, Black lives matter more than White lives, or should we perhaps start to think a little more about what is reported in the media before we encourage something we really don't want, .

AGD

The event that started this was 9 mins of a US cop kneeling on the neck of George Floyd. It’s on video. Quite clear. I think you are referring to another later event in the UK.

As far as kneeling at the match it’s all a little daft,but hay if people want to do fine.

Archived