covertop damage

mrs p hancox

hi has any else experiancced damage to the paint caused by flamma covertop, we have only had it on the van a month, took it off to go out in van and noticed marks left by covertop, nothing else has been on van and on bonnet the line of damage corresponds with the line where the covertop ended, looks like paint has become matt rather than gloss. It is a new van as was fine prior to cover going on the seller Riverway say they have never heard of this,

Have never used one, but feel it can only be one of two things, if the degraded paintwork is even all over the entire area that it was covered, then I would suggest some form of chemical reaction that may be in the material itself. If the matting of the paint is only in certain areas then that could possible be down to abrasion caused by the wind getting under it. If you do decide to seek compensation then you need to speak to Riversway, as they are the ones who sold it to you.

I would think the only way of correcting what as happened is a good T cut polish all over the roof and bonnet, finished with a quality wax. Not a job for the faint hearted. chas

We considered buying one of these (one was on eBay going cheap!) but when we were able to examine one at the Birmingham show, we found they were just like the normal 'crisp packet' type plastic woven stuff that some tarpaulins are made of and offered no real protection to the underside to stop chaffing so we decided not to risk it. I suspect therefore that you've had a case of chaffing and need to give the van a good buff up and polish to get the shine back, I'd suggest not using the cover anymore until you get to the bottom of it.

Definately sounds like inferior quality materials have caused chaffing on the paintwork. I experienced this with one cover I had on a classic car that I had to temporarily leave out of the garage and because of this it was a very long while before I decided to use a Protec on the motorhome fearing the same would happen, that was only after a friend had used one for two years. Unfortunately in the case of covers you get what you pay for.

Bas

Archived