License Warning

RonB

The law in several contries abroad is that you must carry your license when driving. Therefore anyone in the Kent area looking to go abroad in the near future should be extra wary of any kind of endorsement. I picked up a three point speeding endorsement and so far have been without my license for over six weeks. Kent police will only quote 'a long delay'.

Although I say Kent I imagine that all the licenses end up at the DVLA so this could be the case country wide. With a backlog like this old Gordon in No 11 must be laughing.

Hi Ron,

Just a thought - its always worth photocopying or printing copies your drivers licence, part one and two, Insurance documents, NHI card, ASCI card, Passport, credit cards, favorite £20 note etc...!!

Perhaps not the last item, unless you make a cake with a file in it!

Regards Terry

I agree that you should get a duplicate licence, it may cost you a few quid but just lately, friends of mine have had their licences returned with motorbike,hgv or psv entitlements missing. When you contact the DVLA they claim not to have any record of said entitlement, and how many people actually keep copies of their pass certificate.

3 people I know have had to re take their driving tests because of this,despite sending in photocopies etc,one even had the local police officer send a letter confirming he had passed his test, however, if you have a licence that shows you've passed the test, they cannot argue with that.

You would squirm if you knew how many V5s and licences they lose each week.

Hi,

DVLA microfilm every document they receive. That microfilm is given a unique number. If you send then £5, they will send you a computer generated copy of your driving licence history, starting with when you sent them your red book licence in circa 1973. It won't mean much to Joe Public, but staff at DVLA can identify the type of document from the reference number, and retrieve a hard copy.

I don't know how long they keep those microfilm nowadays, but if your history showed you passed your test twice, its a fair indication that you have two seperate groups on your licence.

Me? I photocopy everything I send to DVLA.

I think that you are slightly missing the point chaps. My concern is about the delay rather than the losing of licenses. Somehow I don't think that waving a copy of your license at Senor Cop is going to cut much ice.

Hi Ron,

I pretty sure we all got the point, its brave of you to bring the subject up. Not everybody will automatically think of moves to make before sending important documents of any sort through the post. So your warning is a good reminder of what can happen, others subscribing to the thread voicing their ideas of a workaround is also very useful.

I like the idea of the International licence and applying for a replacement licence, is a good idea and worth considering, given the probability of us all getting caught going a few miles per hour over the speed limit at some time or even when stationary! I expect you saw the program on TV the other day?

Regards Terry

I,ve got to send my license off to DVLA (both the plastic bit and the counterpart) to get my HGV up dated following todays medical (I Passsed!)

It will ALL be scanned into this computer first!

Suggest you do the same.

C.

I have two licences ? I,m not sure how it happened that's the truth .

One the old address the other this address . I suppose I should shred it really never got round to it . I really cannot remember why might come in handy one day ........ *-)

Clive - 2007-03-12 11:52 PM

I,ve got to send my license off to DVLA (both the plastic bit and the counterpart) to get my HGV up dated following todays medical (I Passsed!)

It will ALL be scanned into this computer first!

Suggest you do the same.

C.

Gee Clive, didn't realise you were THAT old! (lol)

gf lost lisence, went to post office and got 'checking' done and form sent off, got new lisence with wrong name, returned to dvla asking for new lisence and return of post office fee, got letter today saying fee will not be refunded as po got it right and heres your new lisence, guess what wrong name again >:-(

Hi Colin,

I don't suppose the name on your licence is Mr Asabove?

Seriously, that was a big problem many years ago. The data input girls were trained to "key what they see". One girl was hitting the keyboard 13 times a second (with zero error rate). About 4 times a second was the required speed....but that didn't leave much time to analyze that "AS ABOVE" was not the applicants new name.

Doesn't give you a lot of faith in the security of issuing lisence, friend at works son just got new passport, was sent by normal post to house, then he got card to tell him to pick up letter, it was his old passport that they sent out secure.

Archived