Good Place to Stop Near Dover

enodreven

Hi,

We have the 8:15am Seafrance ferry booked for Wednesday morning, and i was intending to leave home at around 5:00am but as we hope to follow a similar route to Don, we will have a 300+ mile drive for our first over night stop. So i think it would probably be better if we booked into somewhere close to Dover for tomorrow night, has anyone any suggestions, also can we park in Dover docks over night ??

Brian

Why not change your sailing time, go over Tuesday night, and stay on Calais docks? You will have a fresh start in the morning with the crossing already behind you. Overnight parking is allowed and you can be right near the booking booths if you feel insecure.

Have fun.

Hi Brian,

You can stop on the seafront at Dover, from around 6pm to 8.30 am there is no parking charge, just don't park in the Bus parking bays, you will be moved on.

Its a bit noisy although not to bad in the early hours. Otherwise if you subscribe to CC or C&CC there are two sites, one of each within 30 mins drive of Dover, I've stayed on both - at different days/nights of course (lol)

Regards Terry

We overnoght if needed at Samphire Hoe. Very quiet perhaps a few fishermen there with rod and line. Head out of Dover toward Folkstone on the A20 it's well sign posted, single etrack through a tunnel controlled by traffic lights. It was created by the spoil from the channel tunnel.

Bill Ord

I got this e-m from Dover Port last year, and made use of the facility. You drive up the ramp as if going to the multi, and turn off just before the height barrier. It's actually on the roof of the terminal.

If you want the actual e-m (which will show it came from them) send me a PM with your e-mail address & I'll forward it.

Tony

Message read:

We have a multi-storey car park located at the terminal, within short walking distance from the Travel Centre, however this park has a height restriction of 2 m. For overheight vehicles we allow parking in our "Staff & Permit holders car park", adjacent to the multi-storey, all car parks are accessible 24hrs a day. To get to this car park, simply follow the signage for the multi storey, and the park is located on the left hand side, just before the entrance to the Multi storey. The cost for 12 hours parking would be £8.00.

Guest starspirit

I understand that to be allowed to stay at Samphire Hoe overnight you have to be a fisherman and to have paid the £2 fee for a 24 hour fishing permit.

To get the permit you need to be there prior to dusk which is when the office shuts or you run the risk of being turfed out as an unauthorised user by the security patrols because there is apparently no night time unauthorised access to the Hoe for members of the public other than paid up fishermen.

I don't know as we live a long way from Dover.

Perhaps someone living there might be able to clarify as it does sound too good to be true and runs the risk of filling up with Motorhomes?

We have many times in previous years travelled to Dover in the afternoon, nipped into town to pick up a take away then driven back up the hill and parked in one of the ample lay by,s frequented by the lorries. However we then get the fidgets, toddle back to the docks and blag an early evening boat and stop near Calais at Cap griz nez. But alas this spot is now totally useless unless you can limbo dance your MH under a barrier. (RIP) So we go a bit further. We find Calais town parking a tad noisy.

But each to their own!

Archived