Given the response ...

Birdbrain

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 6:30 AM

... They obviously dont matter anymore ... https://news.sky.com/story/burnley-condemn-white-lives-matter-banner-flown-over-manchester-city-match-12012848

They do but you are missing the point. To quote Sanjay Bhandari: "The point of Black Lives Matter is not to diminish the importance of other people's lives.

"It is to highlight that black people are being denied certain human rights simply by virtue of the colour of their skin."

I dont think anyone denies that this is true so why the anti protests? Surely anything that raises awareness and helps tackle inherent and institutional racism is a good thing isnt it? Why would anyone be against that I wonder.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-23 10:04 AM

... They obviously dont matter anymore ... https://news.sky.com/story/burnley-condemn-white-lives-matter-banner-flown-over-manchester-city-match-12012848

They do but you are missing the point. To quote Sanjay Bhandari: "The point of Black Lives Matter is not to diminish the importance of other people's lives.

"It is to highlight that black people are being denied certain human rights simply by virtue of the colour of their skin."

I dont think anyone denies that this is true so why the anti protests? Surely anything that raises awareness and helps tackle inherent and institutional racism is a good thing isnt it? Why would anyone be against that I wonder.

Why is 'White Lives Matter' an "anti protest" ??? ... After the events of the weekend would a plane flying over saying 'Gay Lives Matter' be an "anti protest" ??? No of course it wouldnt ... What human rights exactly are being denied to blacks because of their skin colour ???

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 11:01 AM

Why is 'White Lives Matter' an "anti protest" ??? ... After the events of the weekend would a plane flying over saying 'Gay Lives Matter' be an "anti protest" ??? No of course it wouldnt ... What human rights exactly are being denied to blacks because of their skin colour ???

I think there is no doubt in my mind that its an anti protest. The usual subjects have been pretty vocal speaking out against the recent protests about Black lives. If you have to ask what rights are being denied blacks because of their skin colour after everything thats been discussed then it kind of emphasises the scale of the problem. You do know though as we have discussed it many times recently.

I think the objections are because blacks are seen by lots of whites as perpetually whinging rather than entirely deserving and as demanding too much in the way of apologies and reparations for stuff that happened long before any of us were born. There aren't many who will think that white police killing blacks when they shouldn't have in America justifies a big demonstration over here which breaks the lockdown rules and increases the risk to all of us of virus infection. Nor will there be sympathy for BLM demonstrations which turn violent because some supporters take the opportunity to hurt a bobby or two.

Not that many whites will have much sympathy for the white violent counter-demonstrators either but the current generation of blacks (in UK) is seen by many as primarily a bunch of unwelcome poor workers and losers and drug users and criminals who are in many ways choosing to behave badly and playing the race card and trying to blame others for their troubles. That's not the full picture of course because there are very many positives and lots of good black workers and successful blacks and the UK middle class is more sympathetic, but you asked so I've spelled out how the overall picture looks to me.

StuartO - 2020-06-23 11:36 AM

I think the objections are because blacks are seen by lots of whites as perpetually whinging rather than entirely deserving and as demanding too much in the way of apologies and reparations for stuff that happened long before any of us were born. There aren't many who will think that white police killing blacks when they shouldn't have in America justifies a big demonstration over here which breaks the lockdown rules and increases the risk to all of us of virus infection. Nor will there be sympathy for BLM demonstrations which turn violent because some supporters take the opportunity to hurt a bobby or two.

Not that many whites will have much sympathy for the white violent counter-demonstrators either but the current generation of blacks (in UK) is seen by many as primarily a bunch of unwelcome poor workers and losers and drug users and criminals who are in many ways choosing to behave badly and playing the race card and trying to blame others for their troubles. That's not the full picture of course because there are very many positives and lots of good black workers and successful blacks and the UK middle class is more sympathetic, but you asked so I've spelled out how the overall picture looks to me.

I never agreed with the protests under lockdown Stuart. The timing is terrible but I agree with the fight against racism. Its doomed though because like you say there are too many idiots focusing on defacing or pulling down statues rather than looking to change the future rather than the past. Its created a lot of division amongst the very people they needed onside. I and many others were already onside. I suppose I fall into the "sympathetic middle class" bracket.

If there is a disproportionate number of "poor workers and losers and drug users and criminals" amongst black people then we have to ask why that is. Are black people just thick, naturally bad or disadvantaged?

Barryd999 - 2020-06-23 11:27 AM

I think there is no doubt in my mind that its an anti protest. The usual subjects have been pretty vocal speaking out against the recent protests about Black lives. If you have to ask what rights are being denied blacks because of their skin colour after everything thats been discussed then it kind of emphasises the scale of the problem. You do know though as we have discussed it many times recently.

Given I have asked you umpteen times for those denied rights or white priveleges you bang on about and you either ignore the question or give an answer without an answer I can only say the scale of the problem is very small , but you would like it to be much bigger ... Maybe its your whites only village privilege that lets you make things up

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 12:00 PM

Given I have asked you umpteen times for those denied rights or white priveleges you bang on about and you either ignore the question or give an answer without an answer I can only say the scale of the problem is very small , but you would like it to be much bigger ... Maybe its your whites only village privilege that lets you make things up

I dont know what else I can say to you. Are you looking for a definitive list or something? I honestly dont know the scale of the problem but why on earth would you think I would like it to be much bigger? What a ridiculous thing to say.

I felt somewhat ignorant on these matters when all these BLM protests kicked off so I started doing some research. Firstly I was totally shocked to learn of the history of the depth of institutional racism within all our governments from the war to the present day. unbelievable. (I posted about it elsewhere). Then I started looking at the stats and polls and without doubt it seems you are at a disadvantage if your black. Take a look at this one (scroll down the list to Bias in Britain). https://www.icmunlimited.com/historical-polls/ This was taken in 2018 so long before this latest revolution. A lot of it could be unconscious bias but its still bias. The figures in that poll speak for themselves.

So the question is. Are black people just making it up or is it true? I say its probably true. What do we do about it?

What if it said Palestinian Lives Matter. They have human rights too.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-23 2:33 PM

I dont know what else I can say to you. Are you looking for a definitive list or something? I honestly dont know the scale of the problem but why on earth would you think I would like it to be much bigger? What a ridiculous thing to say.

I felt somewhat ignorant on these matters when all these BLM protests kicked off so I started doing some research. Firstly I was totally shocked to learn of the history of the depth of institutional racism within all our governments from the war to the present day. unbelievable. (I posted about it elsewhere). Then I started looking at the stats and polls and without doubt it seems you are at a disadvantage if your black. Take a look at this one (scroll down the list to Bias in Britain). https://www.icmunlimited.com/historical-polls/ This was taken in 2018 so long before this latest revolution. A lot of it could be unconscious bias but its still bias. The figures in that poll speak for themselves.

So the question is. Are black people just making it up or is it true? I say its probably true. What do we do about it?

Maybe you ought to look at the roots of black family life to look at the route of much of the problem ... 70% of black Americans are born to a single mother , no biological father but possibly many black stepfathers ... Now stable family counts for a lot , not for everyone but if blacks as they seem to be are immediately born into instability and no family structure many of them look elsewhere for that and thats where gangs come insist it and criminality and that has nothing to do with white privilege or institutional racism , maybe you can educate blacks about family life , it could be a starting point and given your lecturing skills could work ... Did you do any homework on the most persecuted in our world or are they just an inconvenient side issue ??? ... Maybe you a white privileged whites only village type could take the lead and move into an inner city area while giving your house up to a desperate black family and show the world your new latest 'concern' is real

jumpstart - 2020-06-23 4:10 PM

What if it said Palestinian Lives Matter. They have human rights too.

No issue with that at all ... Maybe let those Palestinians know though who dress their kids up with suicide bombs to kill all those Israelis you boast are "fair game" ... After all if Palestinians dont think all lives matter , especially kids how can the rest of the world get on board ... Regards sweetie

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 5:46 PM

Maybe you ought to look at the roots of black family life to look at the route of much of the problem ... 70% of black Americans are born to a single mother , no biological father but possibly many black stepfathers ... Now stable family counts for a lot , not for everyone but if blacks as they seem to be are immediately born into instability and no family structure many of them look elsewhere for that and thats where gangs come insist it and criminality and that has nothing to do with white privilege or institutional racism , maybe you can educate blacks about family life , it could be a starting point and given your lecturing skills could work ... Did you do any homework on the most persecuted in our world or are they just an inconvenient side issue ??? ... Maybe you a white privileged whites only village type could take the lead and move into an inner city area while giving your house up to a desperate black family and show the world your new latest 'concern' is real

So you think a stable family means having a father, hmmm, a lot of gay families are gonna hate you.

jumpstart - 2020-06-23 6:18 PM

So you think a stable family means having a father, hmmm, a lot of gay families are gonna hate you.

Que ??? Why are a lot of gay families going to hate me exactly

I dont pay much attention to what goes on in America to be honest. Its not my country and there is enough to focus on here. I dont know what the stats are for the UK. As I mentioned to you before, I deplore all racism. Always have. I certainly wouldnt shy away from calling out racism towards myself or my white friends its just that Ive never witnessed it.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-23 6:52 PM

I dont pay much attention to what goes on in America to be honest. .

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

I think I may have just pee'd myself laughing 8-) ........

I dont pay much attention to what goes on in America to be honest. Its not my country and there is enough to focus on here. I dont know what the stats are for the UK. As I mentioned to you before, I deplore all racism. Always have. I certainly wouldnt shy away from calling out racism towards myself or my white friends its just that Ive never witnessed it.

Chuckle ... Shouldn't you "deplore all" discrimination ??? Why is racism so much more important to your whites only world ??? By the way you and your friend have never experienced black racism either but you seem pretty keen to preach to the world about it ... Hate on fella/maybe not a fella

pelmetman - 2020-06-23 6:55 PM

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

I think he means half of America

Did you make it to the shed?

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-06-23 7:49 PM

Did you make it to the shed?

I haven't installed the bucket yet ;-) ........

So next to it was close enough :D ......

Birdbrain - 2020-06-23 6:57 PM

Chuckle ... Shouldn't you "deplore all" discrimination ??? Why is racism so much more important to your whites only world ??? By the way you and your friend have never experienced black racism either but you seem pretty keen to preach to the world about it ... Hate on fella/maybe not a fella

Eh? What friend? I told you I have experienced first had racism over the years. .I have mixed race family. Yes we should deplore all discrimination.

Why? When have you ever seen me start a thread about America? I might take part in one if it effects the UK or if someone else brings it up but its feck all to do with me really day to day.

Archived