Hymer electrics split charging relay

will redfearn

The problem is I have the alternator warning light coming on for a prolonged period when driving. I have had it checked and it is putting out a charge at the alternator terminals at the same time the fridge does not operate at 12v when driving. I checked with a wiring diagram and it appears that the relay does both functions of charging and fridge. I do recall a 'chattering' from the relay coming from behind the fuse box area. I have come to the conclusion that the relay requires changing. The problem is 'Where is it'

Taken fuse box off, not seen there. There are odds and sods of relays in the wiring harness anyone got any ideas and where do I buy a replacement from. The vehicle is a 1992 B544 on a Fiat Ducato 2.5Turbo Diesel

Hi Will,

From your first statement I guess that you have a problem with the alternator. The Ignition warning light staying on is the clue This is also the reason it is not energising the split charge/fridge relay as these feed from the same alternator terminal. It could be a duff diode inside the alternator, the brushes in the alternator for the rotating field or even the regulator. Maybe corrosion on the D+ connection?. But after ruling out bad connections and in todays throw away society you replace the alternator (unless you know of a local repair shop with a good reputation).

Part exchange for a new one is probably safest.

Guest peter
If it's the relay you have a big problem, as it's incorporated in the charger panel behind the front seat. But as has already been mentioned it is more likely to be an alternator problem. Re-con unit is best bet, unless you have a friendly breakers near you who has one that's not too old. My old Hymer had same fridge problem but the battery still charged.

Archived