Windscreen repair

ColinM50

Coming home from Norfolk last Friday lunchtime I was behind a works type Transit and saw a small stone fly up from his wheel and shoot up towards me. Instinctively I ducked and heard it hit the screen and sure enough there was a small star shaped crack, about 15mm dia just below my eyeline but within the steering wheel zone.

When I got home, Friday afternoon I thought I'd just phone my insurers, Comfort, and see what they recommend. Got as far as saying I've got a cracked windscreen and the chappie said, hold on I'll put you through to Aviva, the insurer. Click click click and same again. Got as far as telling the girlie at Aviva I'd got a cracked windscreen and she said, "hold on, I'll put you through to Autoglass". Chap there went through the details, name address, inside leg etc and booked an appointment for their technician to attend and since it wasn't an emergency, arranged it for yesterday.

Sure enough tech arrived 4pm and had a look and said it's repairable, so free of charge. But if I want/prefer a new screen then £75. So we agreed he'd fix it. He added that if MoT tester says it's too close to vision zone which is the width of the steering wheel but top to bottom, they'll replace the screen free then. So 45 mins later job done and dusted and in the words of Eric Morecambe, you really can't see the join.

Excellent service from all concerned and I'm really sorry that I can't have a moan or whinge about anything.

Finally I would add that if you haven't got windscreen cover (check your policy) and you'd have to pay for it yourself, a repair is £150-£180 (I think) and a new screen is around £2,500

Well done to all. Just thought I'd share a good luck story

ColinM50 - 2020-07-15 11:18 AM

Coming home from Norfolk last Friday lunchtime I was behind a works type Transit and saw a small stone fly up from his wheel and shoot up towards me. Instinctively I ducked and heard it hit the screen and sure enough there was a small star shaped crack, about 15mm dia just below my eyeline but within the steering wheel zone.

When I got home, Friday afternoon I thought I'd just phone my insurers, Comfort, and see what they recommend. Got as far as saying I've got a cracked windscreen and the chappie said, hold on I'll put you through to Aviva, the insurer. Click click click and same again. Got as far as telling the girlie at Aviva I'd got a cracked windscreen and she said, "hold on, I'll put you through to Autoglass". Chap there went through the details, name address, inside leg etc and booked an appointment for their technician to attend and since it wasn't an emergency, arranged it for yesterday.

Sure enough tech arrived 4pm and had a look and said it's repairable, so free of charge. But if I want/prefer a new screen then £75. So we agreed he'd fix it. He added that if MoT tester says it's too close to vision zone which is the width of the steering wheel but top to bottom, they'll replace the screen free then. So 45 mins later job done and dusted and in the words of Eric Morecambe, you really can't see the join.

Excellent service from all concerned and I'm really sorry that I can't have a moan or whinge about anything.

Finally I would add that if you haven't got windscreen cover (check your policy) and you'd have to pay for it yourself, a repair is £150-£180 (I think) and a new screen is around £2,500

Well done to all. Just thought I'd share a good luck story

Pleased it worker out, they replaced the windscreen on my Ducato a month ago and I thought the service was exceptional, they handled the reversing camera monitor which is attached to the rear view mirror, replaced the French toll unit and even replaced the ticket holder in the bottom right hand corner and replaced the stickers in the top corner coupled with a friendly manner, like yourself can only recommend.

A screen for an A class may well cost that much but a standard Ducato screen will be nowhere near, probably closer to one tenth of that figure.

aandy - 2020-07-15 1:38 PM

A screen for an A class may well cost that much but a standard Ducato screen will be nowhere near, probably closer to one tenth of that figure.

My Ducato was obviously an insurance job, however, I did look on line and I could have had it replaced privately for around £350 to £400

I have used and always carry one of these kits https://tinyurl.com/y6wgku9v repaired a large chip and can't even point it out now. I had a large chip once that after a few weeks turned into a crack waited until mot time and had it replaced but £75 excess so now make sure I have the means to carry out a diy repair before chips turn to cracks

uTube videos on how to use

Archived