site fees AGAIN!

charleydog

Had two nights booked at m/home caravan club site at Grafham water. After pitching up `went for a bike ride to return to a nice shower. Found the toilet/shower door locked. Went to see the warder who told me that it is now a non-facility site. The fee was £25.70 per night (bit reduced the second night due to v.a.t reduction). The fee is the same as a full facility site.The warder then told me that the boiler broke at the end of last season and the cost to replace it was £23000.So decided to close the very nice toilet shower block Two things......£23000 is about one months takings on Brighton site in full season, peanuts to this multi-million business.And to charge this rate for C.L camping is a rip off! Did not stay or pay for the second night. >:-)

Hmm, £25:70 for a site with basically no facilities, no thanks.

£42:50 for 2 people if like me you are not a member!! Crazy.

These people are glorified insurance brokers and travel agents. How many other companies charge 'customers' a membership fee? Multiply the annual membership fee c£50pa by the number of members and these people are streets ahead of the opposition. They're multi-millionaires before they even open their doors.

That is scandalous for a parking fee for a night with no services. I doubt many on here could rent their house out for that much per day with full facilities.

Why do we put up with paying a £54 annual fee then top whack prices to basically park for the night? There is no way they can justify those charges

Ron - 2020-07-15 9:59 PM

...Why do we put up with paying a £54 annual fee then top whack prices to basically park for the night?...

The Caravan and Motorhome Club’s website (link below) describes the advantages/benefits of being a Club member and states that the current annual membership fee is £54.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/

Presumably C&MC members generally believe that the £54 membership fee is worth paying or they wouldn’t pay it. The alternative would be that many C&MC members are masochists where spending their money is concerned.

There is a shortage of campsites in UK and there are very few equivalents of Aires/Stellplatz so the availability determines the price. Same with CL/CSS, lots of them are charging over £20 on these days. And there are enough people willing to pay so prices will continue to rise. If you don’t like it go abroad, where sites and Aires are plentiful and it’s much easier and cheaper. Tough on those with short holidays but great for retirees.

Anyone who wants a break staying for a limited time can attend any of the hundreds of vehicle events all over the country, the cost is usually a few pounds with lots of interest.

Better still join a group and stay for free, the only 'charge' is to provide assistance.

When we were Caravan club members we always thought that Members thought they were something special, bit like a private members club,and we often saw members in suits and ties [ Caravan Club Ties ] around the sites, you had to book all the weekend meets you wanted to attend and send a £2 cheque in advance and could not just turn up un booked, , We only stayed members because we liked to visit London for a week before Christmas and used their Crystal Palace site or Abbey wood, So with that attitude [ perceived ] one has to pay for exclusivity ? we are no longer Members , we prefer the rough and ready CCC and are Vintage members , but do not use the main sites unless a Rally is being held on one.

We are members of the C&CC and will be vintage in the next year or so. Here in N. Ireland they only have one site and a handful of c.s. sites, so theoretically membership might be seen as poor value.

I look on the membership fee in the same way as having an ACSI discount card or France Passion membership. An outlay that allows cheaper usage of sites or access to vineyards etc.

I also make use of the weekend meets £10 or temporary holiday sites, again saving money from not using sites which I find crowded and with facilities I don’t require or want.

The local associations still largely provide the route to accessing the original ethos of the club, cheap basic camping with friendly people of like mind.

I also find access to the RAC Arrival scheme with its many features useful.

Davy

I have to fully agree with CharleyDog and all other replies re the High Charges the C&MHC ask.

Having to Pre-Book many months in advance was the reason we cancelled our membership back in the early 1970's (Caravaner's those days, Forgive Us !) - The very same Pre-Booking Lark is STILL Promoted to this day ?. This results in sites booked up in advance, so unable to be visited when our (limited) late opportunities have arisen !

THE ONLY JUSTIFICATION for our continued membership is (or should I say WAS ?) when 'Cross Channel Ferry' cost savings where brought into the equation, this usually saved (against Brittany's website) around £150 per crossing in our (MH & Car) example.

But, the abysmal treatment received, (ie:-) beyond a brief telephone call from C&MHC to inform "Brittany Ferries had cancelled your May crossing", "refund is via Credit Voucher ONLY" (still not received ?), No contact since - nothing - Therefore we have very little reason or belief to continue with our membership...

Dave A.

Steve H - 2020-07-15 9:36 PM

These people are glorified insurance brokers and travel agents. How many other companies charge 'customers' a membership fee? Multiply the annual membership fee c£50pa by the number of members and these people are streets ahead of the opposition. They're multi-millionaires before they even open their doors.

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of this thread that £25.50 is a lot for no facilities, a lot of companies do charge a ‘membership’ fee eg ACSI, France Passion, C&CC, Dobbies Privilege Club, Brittany Ferries, Working Men’s Clubs, Tastecard etc etc. It’s more common than you think.

vindiboy - 2020-07-16 10:49 AM

When we were Caravan club members we always thought that Members thought they were something special, bit like a private members club,and we often saw members in suits and ties [ Caravan Club Ties ] around the sites, you had to book all the weekend meets you wanted to attend and send a £2 cheque in advance and could not just turn up un booked, , We only stayed members because we liked to visit London for a week before Christmas and used their Crystal Palace site or Abbey wood, So with that attitude [ perceived ] one has to pay for exclusivity ? we are no longer Members , we prefer the rough and ready CCC and are Vintage members , but do not use the main sites unless a Rally is being held on one.

This must have been a long time ago. We have been CC (CAMC) members since 2002 and have never experienced what you described.

To call CCC "rough and ready" seems rather unfair and, in my experience, doesn't accurately describe their sites. Whilst some are less modern and smart than others I wouldn't use that description.

Archived