Rear Carriage of Windsurf Board

Windsurf1

Hi, I seem to be going round in circles with my local Motorhome Agent. I want to carry a windsurf board vertically on the rear wall of my 2010 Mercedes Devon Autosleeper. Unfortunately I don't have a tow bar or bike rack fitted. So do I need a towbar fitting to rest the board on, then a bike rack to secure to the rear wall? Surely a bracket assembly from the chassis to hold the bottom of the board/mast and a bar further up the rear wall would work? The only consideration would be the nose of the board protruding above the roof line in the airflow causing the rear wall to flex? Thoughts suggestions please? Carrying on the roof is not really an option. Thanks J C.

Hi..

This question has come up on here in the past...can't recall a specific, one size fits all, solution..

Personally, I wouldn't hold out to much hope with going via a "Motorhome Agent" (presumably just a dealer, with a bit of a "fettling" workshop? )

It's probabaly best if you looked at something possibly a bit more "bespoke"?

Have you looked at images online of what others have come up with?

(I would be concerned about it sticking too far above the roof line though?)

What about one of those drop down racks, that hinge/slide down the side of the van (to load/unload), at least in principal?

Thankyou for the replies and pictures. Yes I have seen a motorhome carrying a board with a similar carrier using the towbar as support with manufactured bars near the roof line. I guess there are no carriers on the market to fit so the alternative is to find a fabrication company. Incidentally I beleve there is a height limit for the roof loading systems? Thanks again John C.

Whatever you do you are going to have to get it sideways to the wind like some in the links shown. On a full size windsurfer its going to protrude a good metre or more above the back of the van and if its flat to the wind I wouldnt want to chance the strain of that on the back of the van.

Archived