Cab Blinds

keen canary

Hi all

Does anyone know of an alternative make of cab blinds other than Remis?. This would be for our 2018 Peugeot Boxer (Eldiss Autoquest) I am refering to the permanently fitted pleated type of blinds.

Thankyou

Regards

Keen Canary (Not quite so keen at the moment :-( )

keen canary - 2020-07-19 4:58 PM

Hi all

Does anyone know of an alternative make of cab blinds other than Remis?. This would be for our 2018 Peugeot Boxer (Eldiss Autoquest) I am refering to the permanently fitted pleated type of blinds.

Thankyou

Regards

Keen Canary (Not quite so keen at the moment :-( )

Dometic (were branded Seitz). Blinds for windscreens and cab side windows. Very similar to the Remis variety. I suspect the Remis are much more readily available. Problems?

The Dometic cab-blind products are listed here

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/climate/blinds/pleated-blinds?at=rv

Assuming that the information is correct (!!!) it should be noted that the FP 200 windscreen blind is only suitable for left-hand drive vehicles, and the FP 300 windscreen blind assumes that the vehicle has no interior rear-view mirror. The Dometic blinds probably provide better insulation than the Remis variety, but are likely to be more vulnerable to damage.

It’s stating the obvious perhaps, but the Dometic and Remis windscreen blinds are quite different, with the former being one-piece and closing bottom-to-top, and the latter being two-piece and closing side-to-centre.

The Dometic cab side-window blinds are advertised here

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan-accessories/caravan-blinds/seitz-blinds/double-pleated-honeycombe-blinds-sides

but I’m not sure if the Dometic windscreen blinds are marketed inthe UK.

We've got Remis blinds on the windscreen and side screens and I must say we never use them. We've also got a curtain that slides from behind the front seats right round to meet in the middle and we much prefer that. I guess yours must be the same?

We find the Remis blinds a real pfaff to use and keep shut, the magnet that holds them closed isn't quite strong enough and condensation is more of a problem. That's just our take on them

This has not been my experience. We've had the Remis blinds on two vans, over nine years. Those on the earlier van were a little more fragile than those on our present van, but in both cases they were the sole means of cab blackout, so were used daily when the vans were being used, and sometimes additionally to shade out sun on hot days.

Providing the bi-parting portions of the windscreen are fully closed I have found the magnetic "catches" reliable adequate, ditto those securing the side window blinds closed.

They do not, and are not intended to, provide any thermal insulation - for that an insulating external windscreen cover would be preferable.

Re the windscreen mounted rear view mirror, there was a version of the blind that had retractable pockets in the leading edges of the two blinds, apparently designed to accommodate the mirror mounting arm, but as neither van had an internal mirror, and the present van has no such provision, I can't comment on how well this might have worked.

Hello again,

Thank you all who replied to my posting on cab blinds. It seems that the Remis are more readily available than the Dometic as you suggest. Also after watching the video on how to install I notice that the Remis screen blind is indeed in two section that come together in the midddle with a flexible section on each to accomodate the rear view mirror bracket (clever).

Also interesting to hear different views on how effective the blinds are and how well they operate.

We do have the curtains in MH as you suggest.

Regards

Keen Canary

I'd rather have the blinds than a curtain, they tend to be less intrusive in use. Mine have the cut-out for the mirror stalk.

Bear in mind that I've expressed my preference above, but you should note the following:

- there is a small gap left at the bottom of the windscreen when closed - given the angles it would be very difficult for anyone to see through it, but it does let light in in the morning (should anyone be sleeping cab-end. (I think, at one time, an additional part was available to mount on the dash and blank the gap, but I think it's no longer available).

- Unless carefully mounted and stowed, the side window blinds might "zizz" or rattle slightly when travelling

- I've not experienced any issue with the magnetic closing of the front blinds, but leaning between two reversed cab-seats to pull together the two blinds (which are at extremes of the windscreen and inevitably want to retract back towards their stored position) is a bit of an acquired art especially if you aren't a "svelte" as you might be :$

- The top windscreen channel obstructs the angle of the sunblinds somewhat (they will not fold fully forward due to the mount being in the way). Remis do adapters/spacers for these that resolve the issue, but appear not to be commonly available in the UK (Looking at the Dometic pictures, it rather looks as though they incorporate such a resolution as standard in their mount). Given I'm relatively tall, I haven't really noticed an issue, your situation might be different.

I use external silver screens when insulation is required.

My 2005 Ford Transit-based Hobby motorhome had Remis cab blinds, as does my 2015 Fiat Ducato-based Rapido.

My experience of Remis cab blinds matches Brian’s and Robinhood’s.

The Hobby had a DIY-produced thick curtain that could be hung around the cab in front of the seats, and the Rapido has similar (sliding) curtains as standard. But, even with the Remis blinds closed and the curtains drawn, in cold weather condensation forms on the cab-glass’s inside surface. In fact, with the Hobby, besides the Remis blinds and curtain, I used to stick interior insulated ‘pads’ to the cab-glass - but condensation still formed. As has been said above, to provide sufficient insulation to prevent condensation forming will require an external insulated blind.

Operating the Rapido’s Remis blinds takes (literally) just a few seconds and I’ve never found the closure magnets inadequate. The Rapido’s windscreen blinds have the retractable mirror ‘pockets’ Brian mentions but, having accidentally knocked the mirror off the Rapido’s windscreen, these are now superfluous to my requirements.

I suggest that all the relevant advice and comments about installing Remis blinds be read VERY carefully. Rapido did not make the best job of mine and, once in place, modifications may not be straightforward.

I’ve had one significant problem with the Rapido’s blinds where, on drawing one of the windscreen blinds, the pleated material detached from its fixing on the screen pillar. I managed to reattach the material using double-sided tape (and plentiful cursing) but not easily.

I have the Remis blinds with the retractable piece at the top to accommodated the reversing monitor (attaches to rear view mirror). I have found them very reliable and easy to use especially if you are looking for a quick get away in the morning. I have the opposite problem with the front magnets ie if the van has been standing for a while I find it difficult to prise them apart. The downside is condensation in winter, I am still looking for a solution as I do not want to use an external blind (impedes a quick getaway and bulky and sodden in winter unless you are on a site for a few days or more not worth the hassle IMHO)

Your ‘magnet’ issue with Remis blinds seems to be quite commonplace and was discussed here in 2017, including advice from the blinds’ manufacturer.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Remis-folding-blinds-stuck-/46996/

As long as the air outside a motorhome’s uninsulated cab-glass is colder than the air inside the vehicle’s cab, condensation forming on the inside surface of the glass is pretty much inevitable. As I’ve said above, despite having Remis blinds, curtains and interior thick insulated material on my Hobby motorome’s cab-glass, condensation still formed on the inside of the glass overnight.

However, I have seen motorhomes at first light with condensation-free cab windows and I’ve guessed this may have been because their complete cab can be fully sealed off from the rest of the vehicle’s interior.

Providing lots of overnight ventilation would also help, but I’d much rather have the condensation than leave windows wide open.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-21 7:31 AM

Your ‘magnet’ issue with Remis blinds seems to be quite commonplace and was discussed here in 2017, including advice from the blinds’ manufacturer.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Remis-folding-blinds-stuck-/46996/

As long as the air outside a motorhome’s uninsulated cab-glass is colder than the air inside the vehicle’s cab, condensation forming on the inside surface of the glass is pretty much inevitable. As I’ve said above, despite having Remis blinds, curtains and interior thick insulated material on my Hobby motorome’s cab-glass, condensation still formed on the inside of the glass overnight.

However, I have seen motorhomes at first light with condensation-free cab windows and I’ve guessed this may have been because their complete cab can be fully sealed off from the rest of the vehicle’s interior.

Providing lots of overnight ventilation would also help, but I’d much rather have the condensation than leave windows wide open.

Thanks for the link, you always think you are the only person with the problem, until you discover your not!

breakaleg - 2020-07-21 9:56 AM

Hi We have the Remis Blinds and think they are great, our's have the cut out for the mirror as for condensation I use a window vac with the small blade ( would be nice if there was a purpose built smaller version for in the van)

Pete

I have recently bought one of those, like yourself have looked high and low for a 'micro' version

Archived