Is the End in Sight

witzend

I rather think that this quote by Sir Winston Churchill sums up the situation?

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Winston Churchill, 10th November 1942 (after the Army had given Rommel a bloody nose at El Alamein)

EJB - 2020-07-20 1:12 PM

The best probable outcome is that only 25,000 will die each year if a suitable vaccine is found!

In other words the same as Flu!

Sorry, but it's nothing like flu. It's estimated that worldwide, 500,000 people die from flu annually. There are 195 countries in the world, so that averages about 2500 per country per year. The last recorded year for flu deaths in the UK was under 1800. Covid-19 worldwide has so far killed 600,000 people and that's in six months and it's only just started to take hold in many less developed countries. In another six months deaths will be greater that the current 600,000. And those figures are after strict lockdowns in most countries. Imagine the number of deaths if we hadn't taken such strict precautions?

This isn't a Motorhome Matters subject but I'm afraid that people who trot out the 'no worse than flu' argument are deluded and this attitude encourages others to be less careful than they would be otherwise.

Please, do not make the mistake of assuming that it's just like flu. It's serious, spreads more easily and the effect on many people is much worse that flu, with some suffering permanent damage.

I should have said 'The best possible outcome'

The lowest flu figure for the UK I can find is 15,000 in 2018...there are higher numbers.

I make no mistake about underestimating the virus.

I did make a mistake with one word....Sorry!

I am also sorry if this is not a very relevant subject to people who habitually travel through many countries each year.

jumpstart - 2020-07-20 7:38 PM

Certainly not good for those who get it, probably worse for those(NHS) who have to deal with it but not close yet to world top ten causes of death.

Yes. I've said on here before that my 42 year old daughter caught covid whilst treating patients in ICU despite full medical grade PPE. She had a very hard time and was off work for almost 6 weeks.

And I suspect some NHS staff will suffer PTSD from what my daughter describes - people suffocating to death unable to see their loved ones in their final hours. She's treated dying patients in normal situations, seen patients die, but not in the numbers involved. In one 12 hour shift 3 covid patients died in ICU.

Its not flu and it irritates health professionals when some take covid lightly. Why should she risk her life when the selfish and disrepectful don't care.

stevec176 - 2020-07-20 10:04 PM

Totally agree but there's always those who think they're invincible and nothing will change their minds so what can you do.

Time for another Churchill quote I think?

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills: we shall never surrender"

So we should carry on trying to change their minds. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better!

Archived