Île d'Oléron and the area?

Guest rael

Hi all. After some help/advice. Having now decided not to go to our usual spot in Croatia we are going to try to west coast of France. Never really done France. I'm currently looking at Île d'Oléron and the surrounding area. I've looked on Search For Sites, Camper Contact etc and there seems to be lots of possibilities. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. We tend to like small sites, but would like ones with beach access, as have just bought a SUP. We'll also be taking our bikes as the cycling looks good. Also any recommendations for aires on the way down from the tunnel would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check for availability with camp sites before travelling. Oleron and Re are usually fully booked July and August and you cannot wild camp anywhere on those islands except some supermarket car parks, and even then the Gendarmerie have been known to move people off. All the west coast of France gets very busy in normal years and this year is anything but normal with many French camping-caristes staying in France rather than venturing abroad.

Hi

We stayed at the ACSI site in Marennes which was fine and sounds what you are looking for. Definitely Ile D'Oleron rather than Ile de Re as there is no toll bridge to get on / off the island- or at least ther wasn't the last time we were there!

Enjoy

Bob

Been a few times as Mrs D's Grandfather is buried there. I dont want to put you off as it might be right up your alley but Ive always found those islands a bit dull really. Dont get me wrong, if you like flat islands and sandy beaches they are ideal, great for cycling on the flat but for me there are thousands of more interesting places to visit in France. It is however very popular and I remember the first time we went in 2009 peak season the traffic getting on the island was pretty bad with long queues. There are a few Aires and they are quite good and not expensive. Probably a better choice than a campsite in peak season I would say. Nearby La Rochelle is a lovely seaside old town and there are a few nice small resorts down the estuary towards Bordeaux.

Depends how long you have and when you are going. Its nice down towards Biarritz to St Jean du Luz but you are almost into Spain by then.

This is likely to be the article weldted mentions

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Coronavirus-which-parts-of-France-are-seeing-more-cases-Interactive-map-as-health-authorities-issue-warnings

Yesterday “Le Figaro” reported that the ARS (l’Agence Régionale de Santé) was concerned that a COVID-19 ’spike’ in Nouvelle-Aquitaine (where Île de Ré and Île d’Oléron are) had particularly affected people in the 15-44 age group - presumably because this is a popular area for French family tourism.

The customers I have who run gites are fully booked typically with French holidaymakers from the cities, mostly Paris. This could be the reason that there is a spike in this area. Given that at the peak Angouleme hospital which has almost 1200 beds only had a maximum of 6 COVID patients at any one time. So no need to get alarmed.

For once I agre with Barry. I'm sure it won't happen again (lol) but I too am not too fond of the islands, or the crowds that go with them. You can see all that the Ils have along the Vendee and Charente-Maritime coast south of the Loire, and the area inland called the Marais-Poitevin is lovely and a lot quieter.

Archived