Waiting until the School Holodays are over

StuartO

This year there seems to be a mad rush for campsite pitches and i expect the campsites will be busy with familes until at least early September. We don't usually resort to touring in UK during the schoolholidays and this year looks less inviting that usual. If we get an irresistable urge to go somewhere I think it will have to be an adult only campsite or a quiet CL.

We won't be heading off on any kind of lengthy trip until mid-September but are half expecting things to have taken a turn for the worse by then and most countries to be once again out of bounds. I'm still not tempted to rush off abroad now though but I have this feeling that those who have done so (and seem to be enjoying themselves in the new normal) may be only the only ones to get a foreign holiday this year. If the situation is still OK come September then it'll be Northern Germany and perhaps Denmark for us, not the Norway trip that was planned.

At the moment we're having days out, plus the occasional overnighter, in the East of Scotland; the glorious Angus glens, Strathdon, Deeside and up towards Moray. Thankfully these are areas that are still off the beaten motorhome track and not known to the hoards bent on heading NC500-wards. We did take a detour over West on the way home last Sunday, down through Fort William and Glencoe, but we won't be making that mistake again until it all quietens down in October.

I would have thought if you pick your CL or CS carefully you should be able to avoid hordes of kids even in July and August. They can only have five vans max anyway and one of them will be you.

The few tours we have done in the UK have almost always been either wilding or CL's. I would have been away by now but Im waiting on getting two new French doors and windows put in the back lounge (house not van). (lol)

No plans to go abroad this year but a spot reserved on my favourite CL (and rally field) on the coast whenever we can make it. If its bedlam ill just come home again. To be honest Im not that fussed. I actually enjoyed Lock down and just scootering about in my local area. Im hoping next year will bring a new van and a big European tour but I guess we will just have to see how it pans out.

Well our family is leaving Cardiff for a week in Swanage on Saturday. Both my partner and myself are frontline NHS staff and have endured the worst five months of our career. I have lost colleagues due to covid 19.

You just have to be sensible. We can be fairly self contained in our van with little need to use amenities and a massive garage to store food and supplies. You can't trust the public to social distance and behave themselves but you can look after yourself. I do 12 hour shifts in operating theatre wearing PPE and hood masks so I'm well drilled in Covid management infection control. I also realize that you can never 100% protect yourself no matter what PPE you have but life must go on.

It will not be a normal holiday but it will be a break from the responsibility of work. My five year old is desperate to go away so I will try and make the trip as normal as we can. With school returning in September we have to go away so it's now or never.

So Saturday is our day. Lots of alcohol gel and facemasks packed. Swanage here we come!! Stay safe everybody!!

We've just returned from 3 nights at St Agnes site in Cornwall, no wash block so easy to socially distance using our own facilities. Walked 2 sections of the SW coast path and with the exception of one couple everybody we met stepped to one side of the often narrow path to allow a safe distance when passing. Stepping aside to wait for someone to pass was a good excuse to catch one's breath on the uphill sections. Beaches were pretty full (Perranporth and Porthtowan) but still space to socially distance. Toilets were open as were takeways for coffee etc

Our first time to St Agnes, a regular fellow camper commented they had been several times and have never known it as full as it was.

stevec176 - 2020-07-23 10:21 PM

Trailrider, THANK YOU for all you and your colleagues have done for us, you deserve your holiday and a lot more, relax and enjoy.

I would like to add my personal thanks too. Well done and have a good holiday.

Hi Trailfinder.

My son works for the medical engineers department in a hospital and I’ve seen him very upset.

For those whom have seen the Tv and thought it was bad.

It was worse than most people could ever imagine and I’m sure it will take a long time for NHS personal to leave it behind them.

Stay safe and have an amazing holiday.

Den

Archived