Back to spain sat dishes?

fesspark

Just been researching the 85cm sat seeker auto dish with box,comes expensive but long Guarantee and U.K. Tv and many others well down in Spain,anyone have one of these and can report on their opinion or anyone knowledge of the capability of this dish and satellites it can log onto for uk and europe t.v. inc sky eurosport/?

Fesspark

I stand to be corrected but since the footprints reduced a few years ago I doubt there will be any roof mounted dish big enough to get a reliable UK tv signal much further south than northern Spain.

I seem to remember some saying there were "pockets" in certain areas where you could. My personal view is Satellite TV in the van will become a bit old school. As data charges plummet surely streaming is the way to go. That brings its issues with licencing and having to install VPN's etc in order to receive UK broadcasts but it has to be the way forward I think. Its happening in our homes where everything is becoming internet based so I see no reason why the same wont happen in our vans.

Im selling my old Kontiki soon. It has a Camos Dome on the roof. I was going to transfer it to the new van but I think ill leave it. I probably wont bother installing a new dish or dome on the new van for the reasons above. Plus UK live TV is crap anyway.

Agree live u.k.t.v. is C R A P but we like some sport on T V ,and other channels such as news ect; This dish with its extras fitted

picks up other satellites not astra 2 for u.k. tv ect; and I am interested for anyones opinions if they have this fitted on their M,Home fesspark

Barryd999 - 2020-07-25 11:21 AM

Im selling my old Kontiki soon.

So what is "Hank the Tank mark 2" ? Took you long enough to find a suitable replacement.

Returning to the thread:

We have an 85cm Oyster dish but haven't found any of the hotspots around Valencia for receiving Astra 2.

When in Spain we use Astra 1 for news, F1 etc.

Robbo - 2020-07-25 2:18 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-07-25 11:21 AM

Im selling my old Kontiki soon.

So what is "Hank the Tank mark 2" ? Took you long enough to find a suitable replacement.

Returning to the thread:

We have an 85cm Oyster dish but haven't found any of the hotspots around Valencia for receiving Astra 2.

When in Spain we use Astra 1 for news, F1 etc.

LOL! Still not there yet. Probably either a Bailey Approach 760SE or a Swift Esprit 496 (overcab highline) but finding them isnt easy. Will wait until winter.

Back to the topic. As Fesspark rightly says, news channels like Sky news were on a different beam traditionally I think but their footprint is much stronger so may still work well into Spain.

Our Camos Dome has the facility to switch satellites at the press of a button on the receiver (I think there are five or six). So you will always be able to tune into something anywhere in Europe where there is generally a few English speaking news channels.

We have experience of 85cm Teleco Smartsat twin lnb auto skew dish linked to an Icecrypt box but have not tried it in Spain due to the present situation. We did try it out in the south of france last year and it did work very well - also came in handy in the UK when there were high objects in the line of sight to Astra.

As I understand it the Icecrypt box picks up the encrypted signals that the main TV broadcasters have to put out from the Intelsat 907 satellite as a backup to Astra. I have seen UK motorhomers on the south coast of Spain receiving UK TV using Intelsat with very good reception.

I have also used a fixed WiFi aerial mounted on the roof with a Three sim card - mainly for browsing, emails etc - and found it excellent as it does receive a stronger signal than a typical mobile phone giving better quality reception. So I agree that streaming is possibly the way to go in the future - given the cost of my system was close to £3k fitted.

David

We've got an 85cm Mecatronic automatic dish that was installed in 2014. Great in Spain for the majority of Sky pay channels. We use a Samsung tablet with a Sky Mobile sim card for UK channels (except BBC). Either watch live or download with the Sky Go app. All the ITV/C4/C5 channels are available on Sky Go.

Sky Mobile customers with Sky can watch/download an unlimited amount without using any data allowance.

We did similar soul searching last year when we went back to an Aclass as we thought it was our last :Big: buy and we would be using it a lot more. So we decided to go for a Quicksat setup with the: Magic: box.(Fitted by the excellently setup Falcon) we did a good tour of Spain last winter and it got all the main UK channels as far down as we had the time for Gibralter. We were to venture into Portugal but the dreaded CV saw us back in th UK by the end of February. We also use the 3g mobile broadband on two devices 20 gb each and that picks up most UK tv abroad. I think I tend to agree that the way forward is going to be internet Tv but that is not as reliable yet to just make us rely on that solely.

fesspark - 2020-07-27 11:05 AM

Thanks for your replies,It looks as though the system 85cm dish plus the extra box works then, My worry now is if I buy this kit fitted and we do not go to spain again it will be a couple of Grand ill spent. fesspark

Last time I was in Spain it seemed a lot of the Brits were using free-standing 1.0 metre dishes. One chap told me he'd gone this route because a) he wanted to be able to park his van in shade, which made roof mounted dishes more or less useless, and b) because smaller dishes could not pick up the UK signal.

You are right Brian small sat dishes under shades and trees do not work very well but I never go in the summer to spain or Portugal I wait until it cools a little,unfortunately the small type snipe ect is no use in Spain. fesspark

Archived