Replacement parts for Hymer 544

rogerrichards

I have a 1993 Hymer B544 on a Fiat 2.5TD, and would like to get RHD headlights and a MPH speedo. Are the parts standard Fiat parts, and if so what model? Perhaps I could get them at a breakers.

Sorry if this is a basic question but have only just bought my first MH.

Roger

Hi Roger

You can buy a Fiat speedo unit from the breakers and it will fit no problem ( making sure you get the right year model ) I changed mine for £25. The headlights don't seem to need changed as they passed the MOT and nobody has flashed me to say that I'm blinding them with faulty beem alignment.

regards

Graham

Guest peter
Headlights are standard parts. I would change them as the lens pattern is different. Compare yours to a RHD and you will see. As for Speedo it is dead easy to remove from panel and mark it off in MPH or fit a replacement or an overlay you can purchase easily.

You can legally use beam benders on the headlamps and the van will pass MoT with these if correctly fitted.

To comply with UK regs, the speedo has to show MPH and to remain legible when it is otherwise dark.  You may be able to get an overlay which would be the best solution, otherwise you could use Letraset or similar transfer numbers and stick them to the dial face.  If you get a MPH speedo from a yard, make sure the model, overall gearing, and wheel/tyre sizes are correct.  It'll probably have been "clocked" back to zero as well, so check when your next service is due!

A 1993 Hymer 544 should be using Talbot Express/Ducato MK1 rectangular headlamps, much like my 1996 Dethleffs. I got RHD ones for mine from a guy on eBay for £80 the pair new. Well worth doing-the difference between the new ones and old LHD ones with beam benders is astounding!!

We have a 1996 Hymer 534, the Headlamps as far as I can tell are the standard Fiat Ducato ones, I have beam benders on and having come from older VW Camper vans the lighting is so much better than what the beam benders may loose I have not noticed. Anyway drive in the light park and drink cider in the dark.

Speedo in ours looks as though it should be easy enough to get at the face and mark on the MPH required.

Roger

We have a 1992 B654 LHD Hymer. We have left the LHD headlamps in, simply use beambenders in the UK. They really aren't a problem, personally I wouldn't go to the expense of changing them unless one was broken. Bear in mind that if you plan to travel abroad you will need beambenders if you have RHD lights, just as you need them for LHD in the UK.

And yes, the parts are standard Fiat Ducato. You can pick a pair of lamps up for about £60 to £80.

I see a number of people have answered the MPH speedo question. as I understand things, older imported vehicles (1993 included) do not need to show MPH??

FWIW when searching for spares (eg headlamps) you can search for PEUGEOT BOXER / FIAT DUCATO / CITROEN (can't remember the model). Same parts in some cases - I think that includes headlamps.

HTH

Roger

Archived