Earth Strap.

Ninian

Run a tempy lead from a bare metal bit of the engine to a bare metal bit of the bodywork and you should not have any problems as this lead will maintain the 12 volt supply to the van and any habitation electrics you are running..

Hi, If I turn OFF the Sargent EC500 main panel killing the habitation electrics, and as the van won't have anything operating will this be okay as I don't have anything to bridge the connections while I would be changing the strap out.

Thanks.

I cannot see any problem with just changing it ,there will be an earth strap from the battery to the body/chassis so this will keep the radio,ecu etc in circuit, the earth strap from the engine/gearbox is mainly to give an earth return for the starter motor/alternator etc. As long as everything is off when you change it the engine sensors and other electrics should not be effected.

Many people on here have changed this cable and I do not think there have been any problems.

buddy - 2020-08-01 9:12 AM

I cannot see any problem with just changing it ,there will be an earth strap from the battery to the body/chassis so this will keep the radio,ecu etc in circuit, the earth strap from the engine/gearbox is mainly to give an earth return for the starter motor/alternator etc. As long as everything is off when you change it the engine sensors and other electrics should not be effected.

Many people on here have changed this cable and I do not think there have been any problems.

I agree.

However there must be some sensors that use the earth strap as a return path. It is probably these sensors that cause problems when the earth strap is faulty.

If the OP wishes to go to extremes, then he could isolate every supply source to the engine area. The list will include starter battery negative, solar panels if fitted, starter battery maintaining device (eg battery master) if fitted, and mains charger.

Posing the same question on the Fiat Forum, where the vehicle is not identified as a motorhome, will result in different replies.

Alan

Alanb - 2020-08-01 9:39 AM

I agree.

However there must be some sensors that use the earth strap as a return path. It is probably these sensors that cause problems when the earth strap is faulty.

If the OP wishes to go to extremes, then he could isolate every supply source to the engine area. The list will include starter battery negative, solar panels if fitted, starter battery maintaining device (eg battery master) if fitted, and mains charger.

Posing the same question on the Fiat Forum, where the vehicle is not identified as a motorhome, will result in different replies.

Alan

I cannot see any issue with removing and replacing the engine earth strap as long as the ignition is off. However if wishing to take extra precautions, a battery jump lead connected between suitable engine and chassis points will provide protection, as would a relatively thin length of cable connected similarly with a couple of crocodile clips if sensors are the concern, although no engine related sensors should be receiving power with the ignition off, and I'm pretty sure that they are all earthed through their loom connections back to the relevant ECUs which are all earthed through the chassis.

Archived