Thule Bike Racks

whisturx

Fitting a towbar to my Hobby 750 so as to have the option of a detachable bike rack or scooter rack when the knees go, or towing a car when the balance goes !! Have been looking at a Thule bike rack. Has anyone got one or any recommendations. I have had to leave previous fitted bike racks on vans when selling and they always block my rear window. ( open the window an inch and the bikes have to come off to shut it !!) We have looked at electric bikes which are too heavy for a conventional rack.

Ian

Hi Ian- We have a Thule bike rack which holds 2 bikes. The wheels locate in U shaped supports, and the bikes are seperated by an upright post which folds down when not in use. I did find that this upright post was not quite high enough to lash the cross bar to, and extended it to make a more ridgid hold. It all came with lighting board and lighting plug lead. It mounts to the tow ball a treat and feels very secure when 2 bikes are mounted. Its quite a heavy unit and together with the 2 bikes on makes a fair load on the tow bar, it is inportant in my opinion that the bikes should not be too heavy, I think the max bike loading was around 32kilo. chas

Chas

Many thanks for your comments. The Thule 2 bike rack we are looking at can carry 51 kg and the electric bikes are 22.5 kg each, so by the time the Nimh batteries are off I should just get away with it. I was originally thinking of a 50cc scooter and rack but its many years since I rode a moped and two up,helmets, bike tax,insurance etc and the traffic nowadays !!! Think I would be safer on a cycle route off road with a bit of battery assistance and saving the planet !!

Ian

Archived