In search of bunk beds!

davida

Good morning all,

It’s soon time to change vans, currently have 2 fixed double beds though children will not want to share in the not too distant future, so time for a bunk each I reckon.

I’m finding it a struggle to find vans with the right layout, I would prefer a small A class, though coachbuilt would do it, although not with an over cab bed, preferably sub 6m. The Knaus Van i 550 MD would be perfect if it had rear bunks, the layout and size is otherwise perfect. It doesn’t have to be new though.

Hymers B504 had a fixed rear single bed which could be specified as bunks as a cost option, though it seems few did. That would also be perfect, although older than I would prefer I would go for one if the mileage and condition were right. I can find only one for sale in Germany, LHD and too many miles, I wouldn’t rule out LHD.

I’m looking for any ideas on alternative vans providing that layout, or is their an other layout which might work that I have missed?

TIA

davida

Thanks all, great forum.

Those van conversions especially the dreamer is bang on for the layout.

Still in search of an A class with the same layout.

Derek thank you I wasn’t aware of the search facility. I’ve spent hours trawling classified sites entering bunks with few results so far

The O&AL Buyers Guide can be used to search for A-Class models with a bunk bed layout, but your wish for a very short length cuts down the possibilities (and this will apply to other motorhome designs, not just A-Class models).

There’s also the matter of your budget and the earliest vehicle age that would be acceptable to you.

(Do you really NEED a sub-6m length?)

I believe you mean "Pilote" not "Polite"... ;-)

These vehicles were built down to a price and were pretty odd-looking. The other thing is that all City Van models will be quite old. (There's a 2008 example here)

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/pilote-cityvan-cv57-4-berth-4-travelling-seats-bunk-beds-comapct-a-class-motorhome-for-sale

Try Itineo for an A Class with bunks. They do an SB700 (7m) and an SB740 (7.4m).

We have the longer 740 model and they are so good for families.

Sure, its longer than you wanted, but more space makes for a more relaxed time away! Remember, layout is everything.

Roller Team also have a few coachbuilts with Bunks, i seem to recall.

What was the reason for the 6m limit? If its so it will fit on your drive etc., then this post probably doesn't help (sorry).

If its because you're worried about driving or parking a longer Van, I can tell you its fine.. we've had 7.4m vans for years and travelled to tiny campsites via single track (and worse) roads..

Most importantly, our kids love it and we have had the most amazing holidays.

Good luck

Itineo produced the SD 610 bunk-beds model with a length of 6.15m - but this was back in the late-2000s and it sure wasn’t externally beautiful...

https://www.yakartautocaravanas.com/ocasion/134

The Wingamm range includes really short (5.9m-long) models with a drop-down roof bed and rear bunk beds.

https://wingamm.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/W-20-Scheda-BROWNIE_GB.pdf

But Wingamms are very rare in the UK (as are Wingamm dealerships), prices are high

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhomes/used-motorhomes/wingamm

and - if both rear bunk beds are in use - this impacts significantly on storage spce.

6m is a preference rather than a need. I manage well in 5.41m at the moment, family of 4. Fellow campers are often very surprised!

The Dreamer Family has surprised me, and having started the search asking for an A class, I'm 99% certain will be going for one of these as I do like the PVC's.

So thanks to all, I don't think I would have found this van without the guidance here.

Just have a slight reservation on a French van, built by Rapido, I have a very Germanic Hymercar currently, albeit on a Fiat base - Derek I see you have Rapido, would you mind commenting on build and reliability on the Rapido bits?

“Dreamer” camping-cars were first marketed in 2015 to provide an ‘entry level’ panel-van-conversion (PVC) brand within the Rapido Group.

I can’t see much profit comparing my coachbuilt motorhome with a PVC, but if you are used to Hymer’s build methodology and interior ‘look', you probably won’t much care for a Dreamer.

3 years ago I met an Irish couple at the Rapido factory at Mayenne. They were trying to decide between an A-class motorhome built by Hymer or Rapido and asked my opinion. I said that, if everything was equal (specification, price, etc.) choose the Hymer. They asked why and I said “Because it’s likely you’ll be least disappointed!”.

Archived