2003 T4 Tailgate

Randonneur

Randonneur - 2020-08-28 7:50 PM

Already did.

So what was the answer?

As far as I could see there was no consensus, with the open-tailgate-from-inside capability depending on the particular model and specification. If you asked about this on the T4 forum and just said your vehicle was a 2003 VW T4-based Leisuredrive Crusader campervan, I doubt you’d get a simple black-or-white answer.

(My Skoda car has a button on the centre console that allows the tailgate to be unlocked from within the vehicle. Unless your Crusader has something similar, or there’s an obvious internal handle on the tailgate, I would have thoyght that opening the tailgate from inside won’t be practicable.)

I have had a 2002 reg. LWB T4 (converted by Bilbo) from new. It is really a 2001 base vehicle.  The rear hinge up tailgate can be opened from the inside although I very rarely use the facility.  There is no opening handle as such, rather it is a hole in the inside trim through which a finger can operate the internal mechanism of tailgate in order to open it.  It seems to me to be more of an emergency means of opening the tailgate rather than for daily use. Hope that helps.

Stuwsmith - 2020-08-29 8:23 AM

I have had a 2002 reg. LWB T4 (converted by Bilbo) from new. It is really a 2001 base vehicle.  The rear hinge up tailgate can be opened from the inside although I very rarely use the facility.  There is no opening handle as such, rather it is a hole in the inside trim through which a finger can operate the internal mechanism of tailgate in order to open it.  It seems to me to be more of an emergency means of opening the tailgate rather than for daily use. Hope that helps.

Our old T25 was similar, I seem to recall the 'proper' release mechanism was an optional extra.

Archived