Should My Fridge Have a Light?

_Chris

I've tried to google it but no joy. Just got an exploded view (German) with no legend.

It's an Electrolux RM4213S Product No. 92 1070 446.

There is something in the bottom left corner that looks as though it could house a light but I'm not sure.

Reluctant to fiddle with it as everything else is working well & spares look expensive.

Cheers

P.S.

Just back from a few nights away on edge of Snowdonia. Good walking, great views & lucky with the weather

98346161_ElectroluxRM4213S921070446anno.thumb.JPG.20f0c1b1bcbd12b1443482c8b898fea5.JPG

I doubt it very much. Our 2004 Dometic certainly does not.

Is the 'something in the bottom left corner' a round sight glass? If so it is to check the burner is alight when on gas.

Keith.

PS And no photo when I posted so good guess on my part :D

Which does make me wonder why these fridges don’t have a light. Every time I peer into the gloom that is my fridge I think ‘if only’. It would have been so straightforward to include a light and door switch and would consumed a trivial amount of power.

BruceM - 2020-09-06 6:30 PM

Which does make me wonder why these fridges don’t have a light. Every time I peer into the gloom that is my fridge I think ‘if only’. It would have been so straightforward to include a light and door switch and would consumed a trivial amount of power.

Mine's got one.

Are you sure they haven't reversed the switch on yours so that the light comes on when the door is shut?

B-)

...there isn't one.

If you search carefully you can download the manual for the RM4212, which also covers the RM4213. The "sight window" is clearly described (though only in conjunction with the RM4212, which I think is because that is the piezo ignition version - which you would need to check - whereas the RM4213 is electronic ignition, which shouldn't need a check, though I would be surprised if it didn't allow visibility on the latter once lit).

They used to be very common on almost all fridges until electronic ignition became the norm (and, if the model was available in both forms, the window still might be left in situ).

I've been used to more modern fridges for a while, but the one in the last 'van was push-button ignition (albeit battery) and had dispensed with the "sight glass" in favour of a galvanometer/needle arrangement to indicate the flame was still alight. Apart from the fact that you could check without opening the fridge, I'm not convinced it was an improvement.

Guest pelmetman
_Chris - 2020-09-06 5:22 PM

I've tried to google it but no joy. Just got an exploded view (German) with no legend.

It's an Electrolux RM4213S Product No. 92 1070 446.

There is something in the bottom left corner that looks as though it could house a light but I'm not sure.

Reluctant to fiddle with it as everything else is working well & spares look expensive.

Cheers

P.S.

Just back from a few nights away on edge of Snowdonia. Good walking, great views & lucky with the weather

My new fridge looks like that on the inside ;-) .......and it has a light :-| .......

I had it fitted a few years ago to replace a 25 year old fridge coz I was conned into thinking my fridge couldn't be repaired >:-( .......

I've had it repaired umpteen times since *-) .......

Historically 3-way fridges did not have an interior light because operation of ‘basic’ versions (with piezo gas ignition) did nor require a PERMANENT 12V power-supply..

Gas operation on older fridges involved the gas burner being continuously lit (‘pilot light’ principle), so a “sight glass” was provided so that the fact that the burner had lit/was alight could easily be confirmed. This was particularly important with piezo-ignition fridges that had no gas ‘auto-relight’ capability. (The sight glass was also handy to allow the appearance of the gas flame to be checked.)

This Electrolux RM 4212/RM4213 Operating Instructions document mentions the sight glass on Page 8.

https://manualzz.com/doc/1257996/electrolux-rm-4213-operating-instructions

When 3-way fridges became ‘smarter’ a permanent 12V supply became necessary to power the fridge’s electronics and, at this point, it was straightforward to provide an interior light. Gas operation was no longer based on a ‘pilot light’ arrangement - instead the gas-burner lit, shut down and then relit at irregular intervals based on the how much cooling was required to maintain whatever fridge interior temperature the owner had chosen. Consequently, the sight glass became redundant.

Thank you Derek, that’s useful historical background. My absorption fridge is about 17 years old. So given their permanent connection to the habitation 12v supply, do the latest motorhome absorption fridges have a door activated interior light?

My 1996-built Herald Templar motorhome had an Electrolux RM 4213 fridge, so the ‘Series 4’ range has been around for a long while.

My 2005-built Hobby motorhome had a large Dometic Series 7 fridge/freezer and that had an interior light.

The latest Dometic range of ‘motorhome’ fridges is shown here

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/fridges/motorhome-fridges?at=rv

and Series 5 3-way models are described as follows

Based on the popular Series 4 fridge, the Series 5 are enhanced and more modern versions with useful interior LED lights, energy-saving temperature control and handy door storage. They have been perfectly tailored to the available space available in motorhomes whilst featuring a remarkably spacious interior. Available in sizes ranging from 60–80 l in volume.

the implication being that no Series 4 models had interior lighting.

Glancing through archived Dometic documentation, I note that the manuals for smaller Series 6 and 7 fridges (not the fridge/freezers) refer to an "Interior light (when fitted)” and that those lights would be bulb-type not LED.

It’s perhaps worth adding that - although Dometic and Thetford are the makes of 3-way fridge most commonly fitted to new motorhomes as standard equipment - there are other brands. This link is to Vitrifrigo 3-way products

https://www.vitrifrigo.com/ww/en/vtr5090dg

So (as Robinhood has said) there may still be fridges without interior lighting being marketed.

Six years ago, when we got our new van and fridge , we had to phone the dealer to ask about the fridge light which we could not see. Turns out to be two tiny holes under the control unit which id just above the top of the door with LEDs in them. They shine downwards onto the fridge but, in daylight, cannot be seen unless you get down on hands and knees and look upwards with the door open. Not a lot of use in dark either as they do not illuminate the fridge contents and do shine in your eyes. Certainly could not be called “ interior lights”.

I don’t think you’ve ever provided any details of the make and model of motorhome you own, but the description of the hard-to-see light suggests that your fridge may be made by Thetford.

My 2015 Rapido 640F motorhome has a Thetford N3000-A 2-door fridge/freezer and its lighting is ‘exterior’ and of the type you’ve mentioned.

On the underside of the control-panel section are two small holes well spaced apart and (when the appliance is switched on and the fridge door is opened) a LED shines downwards through each hole illuminating the front part of the fridge (image attached below). There’s nothing in the Thetford N3000 User Manual about this and - after taking delivery of the Rapido - I’m pretty sure I remember thinking “Where is the fridge light?”

My wife (who is Empress of the Kitchen) has never complained to me about the inadequacy of the Thetford fridge’s lighting, so I assume she either thinks it is OK or doesn’t care.

lights.png.40e043a23e4afce39788c6ac73185f2f.png

On the subject of fridge lights, our Thetford fridge has a little blue light to the front switch panel. It tells you the fridge is on. Hardly noticeable during the day but at night when it's dark it lights up the rear half of the van. This is then compounded by the fridge being located directly opposite the wardrobe door mirror. This reflects the little blue light's glare such that the van is lit up internally like Blackpool. Not a big issue as we simply put a cover over the light at night but it really is a poor bit of design!

FD

As a matter of interest the Dometic frig (circa 2015) has excellent blue led lighting. Shame the light designer was not employed to design the plastic shelving that likes to crack . Overall a very efficient frig. It is the T version with double fans to help the airflow.. cheers,

Hi all - as an answer to Fred Duck's comment re the Thetford 'blue LED Power On' light being difficult to see during daytime ! At our 2009 new purchase of our Bessie E695, the very same experience we also encountered. This was cured very easy by just applying a 'small blob' of clear silicone over the 'blue light', this provides a wide refraction of the blue light - with (in my case), a quick glance to the left to see with clarity the Fridge has (or not) switched itself over to 12volt operation after leaving site ! Take Care All - Dave Adams.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2020-09-07 1:42 PM

My 1996-built Herald Templar motorhome had an Electrolux RM 4213 fridge, so the ‘Series 4’ range has been around for a long while.

My 2005-built Hobby motorhome had a large Dometic Series 7 fridge/freezer and that had an interior light.

The latest Dometic range of ‘motorhome’ fridges is shown here

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/fridges/motorhome-fridges?at=rv

and Series 5 3-way models are described as follows

Based on the popular Series 4 fridge, the Series 5 are enhanced and more modern versions with useful interior LED lights, energy-saving temperature control and handy door storage. They have been perfectly tailored to the available space available in motorhomes whilst featuring a remarkably spacious interior. Available in sizes ranging from 60–80 l in volume.

the implication being that no Series 4 models had interior lighting.

Glancing through archived Dometic documentation, I note that the manuals for smaller Series 6 and 7 fridges (not the fridge/freezers) refer to an "Interior light (when fitted)” and that those lights would be bulb-type not LED.

It’s perhaps worth adding that - although Dometic and Thetford are the makes of 3-way fridge most commonly fitted to new motorhomes as standard equipment - there are other brands. This link is to Vitrifrigo 3-way products

https://www.vitrifrigo.com/ww/en/vtr5090dg

So (as Robinhood has said) there may still be fridges without interior lighting being marketed.

Having replaced my 25 year old fridge that had a switch that ticked and flashed until it relit in windy weather, or didn't because the gas had run out B-) ......

With a Twendy Wendy piece of cack with blue light that has broken down every other year since I bought it *-) ........

I urge anyone who is told their 30 year old fridge cant be repaired to persevere to find someone who can ;-) .....

P1010899.JPG.0f46783b1dc82212424ab25d2a66f440.JPG

Fred Duck - 2020-09-08 11:18 AM

On the subject of fridge lights, our Thetford fridge has a little blue light to the front switch panel. It tells you the fridge is on. Hardly noticeable during the day but at night when it's dark it lights up the rear half of the van. This is then compounded by the fridge being located directly opposite the wardrobe door mirror. This reflects the little blue light's glare such that the van is lit up internally like Blackpool. Not a big issue as we simply put a cover over the light at night but it really is a poor bit of design!

FD

I used to need a fully dark room to sleep well in, but that’s no longer the case - in fact, I’d like the tiny green LED that shows my Thetford fridge is operating to be brighter so it was more visible at night as well as during the day. I still can’t bear hearing a clock or watch ticking in a bedroom, though...

Archived