Scotland. And possibly other places

Will86

Yesterday our daughter returned from Scotland (not known where she stayed)

I was very surprised at all the pre booking that has to be carried out in Museums and places of interest, also eating our has to be booked in advance with strict times for arrival and limited eating time.

We are currently in Scotland and have both been very impressed with the approach that the Scottish Government and many businesses are taking, compared to the shambolic situation in England. I installed the NHS Scotland tracing app this morning, which only went live today, but they are already working on integrating it with the apps used in other European countries, so that foreign visitors using their domestic apps will be able to automatically connect to the system, as will Scots travelling abroad. Meanwhile in England we have moonshots and oven ready deals ??

I have been travelling in Scotland for the last 6 weeks and haven't found any NT or private stately attractions that allow a walk up entrance; you must book a time slot in advance. Also virtually all homes, castles and indoor attractions are closed until next year. The few that are open require prebooking, masks etc. However, pubs and restaurants we have used didn't require prebooking.

On the value of the so called tracking apps the jury is out. Bluetooth doesn't lend itself to accurate range measurement and on buses and trains there are multiple reflections of the signal so determining if you have been close to a reported infected person and for how long is probably little more than random reporting. Don't believe what you read about the German system; it produces numerous false reports.

Dick

Archived