how do I use leisure battery?

hotglassjo

Hi everybody

I am new to campervans and am looking for advice . My Peugeot Horizon has a leisure battery and a double socket for 3 pin plugs but I am cautious about what appliances I can safely plug in.

Can I get a small kettle and toaster?

I assume I can charge my phone ?

Laptop?

Basically the 240 volt plugs will only work when your van is connected by cable to a mains supply..

Virtually everything else operates at 12 volts, although your fridge is likely to have 240 volts when on hook up, gas for when not and 12 volt supply when traveling to maintain cold temperature.

It is possible to run items from your battery via an inverter but this will put a large demand on your battery and will flatten it quite quickly unless you drive frequently or have solar panels to slowly top up the leisure battery. You can probably charge phones and laptops from a cigarette lighter with a USB adapter.

A few search’s on forums will soon get you up to speed on what you can and can’t do. And no doubt a few others will offer advice on here.

Welcome and enjoy your Motorhome.

Davy

Can I get a small kettle and toaster?

Generally speaking you will need a mains supply (aka electric hookup. Or EHU) connected to run these.

You can get 12v / 24v versions but these are for vehicles with a lot of battery power. Lorries / marine installations

I assume I can charge my phone ?

From a 12v socket and USB adapter. The socket in the dashboard is normally only useable if the engine is running. There maybe other 12v sockets Around

Laptop?

Similarly you can obtain a 12v to laptop adapter. Some laptops AC adapters output two separate voltages from the same plug that goes into the laptop so you will need a dedicated 12v to whatever laptop you have.

Whatever you plug into a leisure battery will discharge the battery at varying rates so you need to keep an eye on the voltage and make suture it does not fall to a value ( 12v ?, others can advise) before recharging or the battery will become sulphated and more and more unusable.

Rgds

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Joanne.

I’m guessing that your motorhome might have been built by Horizons Leisure Vehicles Ltd (see following link) - and, if that’s so, could you say which model it is and how old, please?

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/general/horizons-leisure-vehicles-ltd

The following webpage may help with the mysteries of motorhome electrics.

https://thegapdecaders.com/motorhome-electrics/

Archived