A frames in the u.k.?

fesspark

We live in a Devon village and are thinking again of towing a car?when cornering with a tow frame does a narrow road with a 90 deg turn.restrict you from towing around the corner? also what size car is suitable for towing on a frame? Regards fesspark,p.s this is only for the u.k. use.

As the steering of the car being A-frame towed is not connected to the frame, there is the possibility of jackknifing on very tight corners - but the risk of this actually happening must be fairly small provided that the motorhome's rear overhang is not excessive.

Advice on cars that might be suitable is provided here

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/158397/whats-the-law-on-towing-with-an-a-frame

fesspark - 2020-09-10 1:02 PM

when cornering with a tow frame does a narrow road with a 90 deg turn.restrict you from towing around the corner?

There are a couple of things to consider, how tight the turn is, and how long is the overhang on rear of your van.

There is a clip online somewhere which shows what happens with a tight bend and a long overhang, it ain't pretty, the toad is first pushed the wrong way as the overhang swings across, and then violently yanked back online.

We've had a tow car for 4 years now, and never had a problem,

it's Peugeot 107 from Towbars 2 towcars. In tight corners I just take

it a little wider than normal, never had to reverse it, so I can't comment.

I think the clip Colin refers to is someone trying to reverse into a side

street and drive away in the other direction, (not pretty). Just plan your

manoeuvres to avoid reversing.

Steve.

Gman - 2020-09-10 3:47 PM

We've had a tow car for 4 years now, and never had a problem,

it's Peugeot 107 from Towbars 2 towcars. In tight corners I just take

it a little wider than normal, never had to reverse it, so I can't comment.

I think the clip Colin refers to is someone trying to reverse into a side

street and drive away in the other direction, (not pretty). Just plan your

manoeuvres to avoid reversing.

No, the one I've seen was of a van with a very long overhang pulling out of a tight junction, which might be similar to OP, if you can take a wide line there shouldn't be any problem.

I believe the image below shows the model of Burstner motorhome Robert owns and - if that’s so - the vehicle’s rear overhang is not unduly long.

It’s perhaps worth mentioning that Robert has discussed towing with his Burstner several times and has found the price of installing a tow-bar high (approaching £1500). Add in the cost of a modified car + the A-frame, and possibly modifications to the motorhome itself (air-bellows on rear axle, uprated tyres?), and this would not be a cheap exercise.

burstner.JPG.5690d4783837290080b939e694f6c888.JPG

fesspark - 2020-09-10 1:02 PM

We live in a Devon village and are thinking again of towing a car?when cornering with a tow frame does a narrow road with a 90 deg turn.restrict you from towing around the corner? also what size car is suitable for towing on a frame? Regards fesspark,p.s this is only for the u.k. use.

You shouldn't have an issue negotiating corners as others have said.

Just some other points to consider.

Now, my assisted braking for the Toad is outdated now and uses the Caravan overrun system which operates when the Toad tries to push the MoHo when slowing down by means of a bowden cable to the Toads brake pedal linkage thus operating the brakes. There is no auto reverse devise which there should be which means the cable would have to be detached to allow the Toad to go backwards. Therefore go for a modern braking system.

In Gman's first video the Toad is fitted with a modern system which means the A-frame itself is lighter and no resistance to being reversed. The front wheels will naturally flop over and scrub the tyres this is down to the cars steering geometry whatever A-frame is used. I would assume if someone was in the Toad they could avoid this happening by controlling the steering wheel, yet to try this however.

And we tow a Smart Fortwo Cabrio, short and sweet.

HTH

B-)

A tow bar on a modern MH can presumably get very expensive because of the need for type approval and on some models a chassis extension - which makes towing a car expensive whether you use A frame or a trailer. If you are planning to drive your MH to a holiday destination and stay for a while it might be more convenient and perhaps even cheaper overall to hire a car once you get there.

We found an A frame awkward, mainly because of the precision positioning necessary to hook up, don’t remember ever trying to reverse. We then bought a trailer and towed that way for five years or so, then decided to revert to touring with just the MH because we’d ended up using the car just for shopping trips we could do in the MH anyway. And now I’ve bought a luggage trailer to see if that helps us avoid overloading! There is no “right” answer, it depends how you use your MH and how often and how far you want to roam. Our towbar, which cost only £350 fifteen years ago, has however given us excellent value overall.

Go for it, We don't have to plan before going away, Where's the nearest pub/restaurant, closest bus stop, nearest shops, POI ?

We did 8 days near Sterling last year, Falkirk wheel, Kelpies, Sterling castle, Linlithgow palace, Blackness castle, Wallace memorial, Bowness & Kineill railway, Doon castle, and others. We will be going back, M/H on site, over 250 miles on tow car, we were knacked, but enjoyed every second. You can't do all that on a bus. No need for air suspension, or bigger tyres, A frame and car only adds 9 kilo to tow bar, 45 to 50 kilos for a tow bar from you payload? put losses in the towcar. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Our M/H had a tow bar fitted when we bought it, so saved a bit there. We also Phone to ask if sites charge or the car, if yes, we TELL them we won't be staying, and place our business elsewhere.

Steve.

Hi.

I`ve been "A" frame towing for over 20 years now, Before the Spanish got bolshie about it we went to Spain with a 32ft R-V and a Fiat Punto. The overhang on the pusher configuration was fairly long but I had no adverse experiences. In the UK I have navigated Devon back roads with the same rig. My view is if it has had a bus or the Bin Men get down it, it can be done. Taking the corners wide becomes second nature as does moving to your right (or left on the continent) before making the turn. It`s a similar action to driving a "Wagon and Drag" rig. Indicate early, command the road, you should have very few issue. What you have to watch for is the daft cyclist down your nearside!.

Archived