Water from breather pipe

g4oip

I have read the article in this months MMM on back-flow from the water tank via. the breather pipe and being somewhat new to M/H-ing would like to cut the plain 12mm pipe from tank to filler and install a plastic one -way valve to prevent water going backwards but with a light enough return spring to allow ingress of air for water useage when req'd. , into it.Other ideas to remove this problem would also be appreciated and would possibly help others who dont like to dump 1/3 rd of a tank out whilst travelling.

Hi Alec,

Never had that problem with the underfloor fresh water tank on an 2003/2004 Autocruise Starblazer. The breather/overflow pipe is sealed into the top of the tank with only about half inch protrusion into the tank. I always fill the tank until water pours out of the overflow, there is no discernible water loss during travel with a full tank.

Perhaps you need to reduce the overflow pipe protrusion into the tank, or perhaps your overflow is on the side of the tank? in which case you could consider shifting it to the top of the tank if possible.

I would query the following, If you were to fit a one way valve into the overflow, the overflow when filling would not overflow? I wonder were the excess water would go?

Regards Terry

Point taken Terry ,but I use the inside inspection hatch for easy filling and of course anyone contemplating doing something like this must not use any pressure fill arrangement.Also the pipe is connected on side so makes the situation more prevalent. I may have to completely mod the system if cannot use existing pipe.

Of course there is only enough pipe to fit the present installation but is easy got at to fit a long piece and take it to a higher point. This is probably the most cost effective approach. Murky buckets.

Guest starspirit

I extended the overflow on my Starspirit in addition to which I extended the pick up pipe at the bottom of the tank and now the water lasts at least one if not two days more.

When extending the pick up pipe be aware that it could pick up grit etc from the bottom of the tank (according to Terry - and I agree) so pull the bung out and flush it out frequently.

Archived