Thetford cassette cleaning

Deffheads

I have just had the delightful job of changing the lip seal on a C200 cassette, I cleaned as much as possible through the hole with a brush, but fail to see how the inside walls of the cassette are cleaned. I am thinking of using a strong decalcifier liquid and upending the cassette, and leave for the potion to do it's work.

Has anyone better suggestions?

Kevin

There is plenty of on-line advice on cassette cleaning methods

https://tinyurl.com/y3ehpev8

Thetford markets a specific product

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilet-care-products/waste-holding-tank-products/cassette-tank-cleaner

or you could do as I do and use a strongish citric acid solution. (Say 100g of citric acid powder in 4 litres of hot water.)

Most of the on-line videos focus on the types of Thetford cassette where removal of the operating mechanism is (usually) quite easy, leaving a large circular hole in the cassette’s top surface through which access to the cassette’s interior can be gained to scrape off any thick layers of scale inside. However, it’s more difficult to get into a C200 cassette.

I recently cleaned my Rapido’s Thetford C403 cassette using a citric acid solution. Even though I had scraped off a fair amount of ‘loose’ scale first, it still took more than 2 days for the cassette to become really clean inside. I put in the citric acid solution and sloshed it around and left the cassette flat on the ground for several hours. Then I sloshed the solution round again, laid the cassette on one side and left it in that position for several hours, Then I repeated that process for the cassette’s other side, followed by laying the cassette upside down on the ground. After a day the cassette’s interior was pretty clean, but I chose to drain the cassette, replace the citric acid solution and repeat the procedure above. As the complete operating mechanism of a C403 cassette is not difficult to remove, I then took it out, disassembled it and used a stiff brush to clean any (softened) off. And, while I was at it, I replaced the lip seal...

Any acid should do the cleaning job (and the more concentrated the acid the quicker the cleaning task should be) but citric acid in powder form is safe, whereas liquid battery acid is not!

Paul- - 2020-09-11 3:44 PM

Phosphoric acid is very good at cleaning the calcium deposits and whats normally used in toilet cleaners and Coca-Cola

The percentage of phosphoric acid in Coca-Cola drinks is tiny (otherwise goodbye teeth and stomach).

Thetford's guidance is shown here

The ingredients of Thetford' Cassette Tank Cleaner are shown here

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/30312AK%20Thetford%20Cassette%20Tank%20Cleaner%201Ltr.pdf

And it will be seen that citric acid is part of the formula.

According to this Thetford webpage, the product is no longer marketed.

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilet-care-products/waste-holding-tank-products/cassette-tank-cleaner

The Thetford instructions booklet for my Rapido’s C-403L cassette toilet advises in the Cleaning and Maintenance section

Note: Never use bleach, vinegar or other powerful household cleaners that contain these substances. These may cause permanent damage to the seals and other toilet components.

The percentage of phosphoric acid in Coca-Cola is 0.017% by voume.

My Thetford C-403L toilet’s cassette has a capacity of 19.3 litres and, if I half-filled it with Coca-Cola (say 9 litres), this MIGHT descale it.

But why should I choose to do that when I’ve used a citric acid solution for some 20 years to descale toilet cassettes and this method has proven to be very effective, inexpensive and harmless to the cassette’s seals and mechanism?

Archived