Killing for pleasure exempt from Covid restrictions

John52

And I suppose your scruples wouldn't allow you to kill anything; not even an attacking wasp and you certainly wouldn't use slug pellets in the garden to protect your produce.

Your objection to shooting is presumably rooted in your assumption that it is predominantly a hobby for the wealthy and priviledged and since you personally don't go shooting it should be banned. But in my part of the world there's a wide social spectrum who engage in shooting, including lots of ordinary working men, including the guy who does our odd jobs and painting.

Would you deny them their shooting hobby just so you could spite the wealthier ones? I suspect you might.

StuartO - 2020-09-15 9:59 AM

And I suppose your scruples wouldn't allow you to kill anything; not even an attacking wasp and you certainly wouldn't use slug pellets in the garden to protect your produce.

Your objection to shooting is presumably rooted in your assumption that it is predominantly a hobby for the wealthy and priviledged and since you personally don't go shooting it should be banned. But in my part of the world there's a wide social spectrum who engage in shooting, including lots of ordinary working men, including the guy who does our odd jobs and painting.

Would you deny them their shooting hobby just so you could spite the wealthier ones? I suspect you might.

I would agree with that. As long as social distancing is carried out arriving at the event or moving around the moors I see no reason why it should not be allowed. This is a shooting, fishing and hunting community where I live and everyone is welcome to take part. I was up on the Grouse shooting moors yesterday on the bike. Couple of people about but just miles and miles of space.

You are completely missing the point which I have put in the thread title.

I eat creatures that have been killed for me and I kill flies. I don't know much about grouse or foxes

But thats irrelevant.

Is the mentality of people who kill FOR PLEASURE that I find so disturbing.

And that the Government considers it more important than visiting friends & family.

I dont have a problem with it if you are going to eat it. Trophy hunting is IMO disgusting. Bears, Lions etc.

But fishing (again game fishing), shooting a grouse or some dumb bird like a Pheasant that shouldnt even be here in the UK. No problem.

Its good sport. Not so sure about Fox hunting but mainly because me and horses have never got on. (lol)

John52 - 2020-09-15 1:06 PM

We are talking about people who even have a servant to put the toothpaste on their toothbrush

But apparently enjoy killing so much they choose to do that themselves

Are we? I Dont have a servant to put my toothpaste on but have been known (not for some time) to blow the odd bird out of the sky. As Stuart says its a bit of a myth that shooting and hunting is the sport of the toffs. You could be forgiven I guess if you rolled up outside our local pub when the hunt are assembling in their finest quaffing sherry on horseback for thinking it was an inbred Aristos big day out but truth is (up in Yorkshire and Teesdale that is) they are a mixed bag.

Ive been on shoots here in the past with people from all walks of life. People are obsessed with class in this country. It means nothing here thank goodness.

Barryd999 - 2020-09-15 1:14 PM

I Dont have a servant to put my toothpaste on

People try to turn it into a discussion about killing for food, or to control the animal population, etc

But its not about that.

I just use the toothpaste illustration to show some get their servants to do everything else.

If they want to kill for food thats fine - let them get a job in an abbatior killing humanely for food - I would respect them for that as I like eating meat and would hate the job - so am glad other people will do it.

Its just the mentality of people who kill for pleasure I find so disturbing.

And the fact the Government considers it more important than visiting friends & family.

Ive been on shoots here in the past with people from all walks of life. People are obsessed with class in this country. It means nothing here thank goodness.

It means everything because if it hadn't been an upper class pursuit it would have been banned

I read a case of working class yobs firing catapults at swans who got into serious trouble - and rightly so.

But whats the difference between them and toffs firing guns at other animals for pleasure?

OK, so I've looked into it further.

It seems that the Guardian are publishing discriminating stories, well there's a surprise *-) , The rules allow for "organised sport or exercises classes or licensed outdoor physical activity" Shooting is one of these, to object to this and be non discriminatory they would need to object to all sports, instead they term it as being able to go ahead due to a 'loop hole', that's complete bulls**t, It's a rag no better than the Daily Fail in it's prejudice against sections of society.

John52 - 2020-09-15 12:03 PM

You are completely missing the point which I have put in the thread title.

I eat creatures that have been killed for me and I kill flies. I don't know much about grouse or foxes

But thats irrelevant.

Is the mentality of people who kill FOR PLEASURE that I find so disturbing.

And that the Government considers it more important than visiting friends & family.

Or more accurately, the Government considers shooting to be less risky as far as transmitting COVID-19 is concerned. I doubt if they assessed it for “importance” although I dare say it is economically important for some people - those whose job depends on shooting.

John52 - 2020-09-15 2:29 PM

It means everything because if it hadn't been an upper class pursuit it would have been banned

I read a case of working class yobs firing catapults at swans who got into serious trouble - and rightly so.

But whats the difference between them and toffs firing guns at other animals for pleasure?

Well I am arguing that its not an upper class pursuit. Maybe it is down south I dunno.

I think swans are protected without looking. Fishing generally isnt an upper class pursuit so what about blokes dragging trouts out of a stocked lake. Is that any different to shooting a pheasant that has been reared and stocked just for someone to come along and shoot it?

A Rabbit shoot is generally classed as vermin control but they dont get wasted, they get eaten! Same with Pigeons. Pigeon pie is lovely. There is skill and sport in shooting and fishing. I dont think its necessarily about the joy of killing something. If you eat meat then you have to accept its been killed by someone. From what I have heard abattoirs are not exactly pleasant places and at least a Pheasant that has been reared to be shot gets to live out its life naturally before getting blown out of the sky. Mind you most of them round here seem to get wiped out on the road.

John52 - 2020-09-15 3:04 PM

colin - 2020-09-15 2:31 PM

OK, so I've looked into it further.

It seems that the Guardian ....

Its not from the Guardian

I read the same story in the Guardian, but if you want to include Huffpost as publishing stories which tell us more about their prejudices than anything else, then it's hard to disagree.

Archived