4g & WiFi Antenna with DB gain for max range?

MikeVan

So have been looking at a few options for this - Looking to get as much gain as legally allowed in the UK, both for 4g and WiFi. Don't need 5g.

Wondering whether to go with motorhomewifi.com or another MIMO type antenna.

Also, seems a shame to need 2 antennas (one for WiFi, one for 4g) - Wondering if anyone knew of any that are 2 in 1?

Anybody have experience of this, and range (for WiFi), and signal boost (4g data/call).

Thanks!

Hi Mikevan, we have previously used the MotorhomeWiFi 4g antenna with a Huawei MiFi unit attached to good effect. Good reception far better than your standard mobile reception. However, have just fitted a Maxview Roam to our present van which comes with its own built in Wifi - have a 3 unlimited sim (was an offer at £18 per month) and use it for TV through a Roku box - works a treat, good reception, very fast.

David

david lloyd - 2020-09-21 8:44 AM

Hi Mikevan, we have previously used the MotorhomeWiFi 4g antenna with a Huawei MiFi unit attached to good effect. Good reception far better than your standard mobile reception. However, have just fitted a Maxview Roam to our present van which comes with its own built in Wifi - have a 3 unlimited sim (was an offer at £18 per month) and use it for TV through a Roku box - works a treat, good reception, very fast.

David

I’m having a Roam fitted next week can you give a more in depth review please

Was going to start a new thread but what the hell. Can somebody recommend a small 4G dongle with connections for an external aerial? seem to be a bit of a minefield out there! also a decent external aerial that is either magnetic or suction ? not too keen on permanent fixing.. ta

Adiebt - 2020-09-21 9:20 AM

I’m having a Roam fitted next week can you give a more in depth review please

Not much to say really - I fitted it myself including a cigarette lighter type socket. The plug has a built in on/off switch with LED - it takes a minute or so to boot up when first switched on but has proved very good in terms of reception. I used it near Kendal recently for the first time and it ran the Roku TV box without buffering. Emails and surfing the web seem quicker than our (BT) connection at home. Have two iphones, an ipad, laptop and the TV box connected to it. We had a Teleco Smartsat satellite system fitted on the last van but this is a much, much cheaper option for TV and easier to use.

David

david lloyd - 2020-09-21 7:17 PM

Not much to say really - I fitted it myself including a cigarette lighter type socket. The plug has a built in on/off switch with LED - it takes a minute or so to boot up when first switched on but has proved very good in terms of reception. I used it near Kendal recently for the first time and it ran the Roku TV box without buffering. Emails and surfing the web seem quicker than our (BT) connection at home. Have two iphones, an ipad, laptop and the TV box connected to it. We had a Teleco Smartsat satellite system fitted on the last van but this is a much, much cheaper option for TV and easier to use.

David

What is the Wi-fi boost like and have you connected the TV by Ethernet cable , cheers for your time .

I fitted one of the newer Panorama "Great White" 4G/5G antennas a few weeks ago (the same antenna used by Motorhome WiFi in their 5G kit) and a Huawei E5577C router.

We're currently in the Scottish Highlands and in the last 2 weeks or so have only been in one location where I couldn't get a phone signal at all on the Huawei, although without it we would not have had any signal on our phones more often than not.

I have been using a Smarty unlimited data SIM at £20/month which can be paused at any time for up to 6 months, and also an EE data SIM as backup, because EE have wider coverage in Scotland. I just added a data bundle to the EE SIM; 20GB for 30 days. Again have only been in two locations where I've had to switch to the EE SIM. Often it has been better to force a 3G connection via the router setup, as with a marginal or weaker 4G signal it gives a more stable connection and faster download speed than 4G.

We have a NowTV stick attached to the TV which connects over the router WiFi and gives similar performance to the Roku box David mentioned (We have a Roku box at home) which works happily even on 3G.

I went for the Panorama Great White antenna as, although I see little benefit in having a 5G capability for some time, particularly in remoter areas, the 3G/4G performance of the antenna is apparently better than the older Panorama 4G antenna.

Edit: reading the original post again, I'm not sure what you want in the way of WiFi? The Huawei router received a mobile phone signal and broadcasts it as a local WiFi signal in and around the van, through which you can connect your phone's, TV and other devices. There are versions of the Panorama (and other) MIMO antennas which also have additional WiFi elements and cables that would allow you to connect to other WiFi networks. I would question why you would want to do that though, as any public wifi network, particularly on a campsite or in other public areas where it is being shared by numerous users, is going to be much slower than the private connection over a mobile network. I would say that WiFi boosters are pretty much redundant now you can get reliable internet over mobile network connections.

Adiebt - 2020-09-21 9:43 PM

david lloyd - 2020-09-21 7:17 PM

David

What is the Wi-fi boost like and have you connected the TV by Ethernet cable , cheers for your time .

As deneb mentions above - WiFi boosters are really going to be redundant. We used to have the MotorhomeWiFi booster that you could put outside the rooflight but, to be honest, it was a real faff to connect through an iPad or laptop to lock on and then you seemed to be competing with anyone around you. We never had a satisfactory signal with it. On the other hand, the 4g network antennas like the Maxview Roam give a very good signal strength and, although there is an ethbernet connection and cable for use with such things as TV and have not had any problems so far, I just use the internal WiFi network.

David

• 2 weeks later...
witzend - 2020-09-23 10:23 AM

Has anyone had any success with a stand alone 4G antenna I'm using a Huawei B311 router which occasionally mainly when at home could do with a signal boost

Since the above post I bought and tested the https://tinyurl.com/yyq8p7bq aerial and although it greatly improved my signal strength it did nothing to improve my internet speed which has recently dropped to 3 - 5 mbps so tried a Vodaphone sim and it went up to 10mbps. I've been with 3 for over 2 yrs and its always been fine all over Europe but unless things change by Xmas I shan't be renewing my contract. Aerials for sale for £30 inc P&P if anyone wants it

colin - 2020-10-03 7:27 PM Three had been suffering serious speed problems earlier this year, I thought they had fixed it.

Our problem only started beginning of August we put it down to the number of people holidaying in Cornwall but ever since they just keep telling me that their engineers are working as fast as they can to fix it. After a lot of complaining they've reduced my contract by £7 a month so will go with it now till Dec when it runs out and if no improvement by then look for a alternative

I have not renewed with 3. The signal around here has got steadily worse over the past 18 months. I contacted 3 numerous times and was fobbed off with every excuse under the Sun. I was 6 months into a 2 year contract and very annoyed as the cost of getting out of the contract was high.

They are cheap, so are a popular choice. It's even worse now as many have got the Smarty cheap wifi which runs on the 3 network. :'(

When a network is congested, it can be beneficial to force a 3G connection if you are suffering from poor speed on 4G. Some of the Huawei WiFi routers such as the E5577 allow you to do that. I have found that I can quite often get a more than acceptable speed for streaming on Smarty by forcing a 3G connection, but a lower speed or poor connection on 4G or auto mode.

Three/Smarty have poor or non-existent coverage in many remoter areas though. In the Scottish Highlands the best choice is probably EE.

At home in a fairly densely populated area just north of London, although EE coverage is good, our local cell is always congested. A sign of congestion is to carry out a speed test. .If the download speed is lower than the upload speed it suggests a busy network. Again, by forcing a 3G connection, I find I can double the download speed, even though the 4G speed is acceptable. Smarty 4G speeds are better than EE 4G at home.

witzend - 2020-10-03 6:31 PM

Since the above post I bought and tested the https://tinyurl.com/yyq8p7bq aerial and although it greatly improved my signal strength it did nothing to improve my internet speed which has recently dropped to 3 - 5 mbps so tried a Vodaphone sim and it went up to 10mbps. I've been with 3 for over 2 yrs and its always been fine all over Europe but unless things change by Xmas I shan't be renewing my contract. Aerials for sale for £30 inc P&P if anyone wants it

The category it is listed under and it's description indicates that is intended as a "machine to machine" antenna intended to be installed in vending machines and similar applications.

You would do better with a true MIMO antenna if your router has the facility to accept twin connections, and keeping the antenna leads s short as possible will increase gain.

If it's for a fixed household connection rather than a MH, you will probably also fare better with a directional antenna aligned to your local mast than with a multidirectional type.

Deneb - 2020-10-04 10:16 AM

The category it is listed under and it's description indicates that is intended as a "machine to machine" antenna intended to be installed in vending machines and similar applications.

You would do better with a true MIMO antenna if your router has the facility to accept twin connections, and keeping the antenna leads s short as possible will increase gain.

If it's for a fixed household connection rather than a MH, you will probably also fare better with a directional antenna aligned to your local mast than with a multidirectional type.

1 was recommended for my router by the supplier when I enquired as they do all sorts of antennas

2 Just one connector

3 would be used when traveling more than at home usually 8 mths away but not this year

I just posted as it seems in my situation signal strength has nothing to do with internet speeds and I was offered by 3 that I could cancel my contract at no cost to me but I'd have to return router if I stay with them till end of contract 2 mths I keep it. I have tried altering router connection as did 3 remotely to no avail and as a goodwill gesture they dropped my monthly charge to £12

I've just fitted one of these routers https://teltonika-networks.com/product/rut950/ and aa Poynting antena https://poynting.tech/antennas-accessories/antennas/marine-coastal-antennas/mimo-3-15/?compare=12208,12209

It has dual sim slots and dual antenna for wifi - although as other people have mentioned, I'm not really interested in wifi.

The download speed is approx 5 times quicker using the onboard set-up compared with the phone. I'm using a Smarty sim at the moment and it seems to be a great set-up. I only fitted it about a month ago and I haven't used it in lots of different locations, but so far I’m very pleased with it.

I also fitted a double din Android head unit which works really well when combined with the “always on” internet.

Archived