health cover after dec; if in spain or france?

fesspark

fesspark - 2020-09-30 12:25 PM

Can anyone advise me as to what cover if any we will get from Spain or France after Brexit

or must we rely on our own insurance policies? and also will we need any new documentation to enter these countries ?

Fesspark.

Plenty of people will speculate, but I doubt if many FACTS will be available until the end of this year - when / if a new deal is signed.

:-|

Our travel insurance is with our Nationwide bank account and they seem to be saying that travel cover is available even if you are travelling against FCO advice, but I think you need to check the small print of whatever policy you have and even then suspect that if you make a any claim your insurer's Claims Dept will set about finding an excuse to reject it.

That's exactly what happened to us when we claimed for cancellation of a cruise in February; the Claims people (of UK Insurance Ltd, a subsidiary of Direct Line, to whom Nationwide had outsourced travel cover) were horrible and mean and it wasn't until Nationwide leant on them that they were even willing to start considering the claim - and eight months later they are still dragging their heels and being nit-pickingly unreasonable, wanting us to prove ever detail - to the extent of asking us to prove a negative (that we didn't get a refund from the airline) when it's perfectly obvious (including to their own Complaints Dept) that no airline in the world would do so. I sent them a copy of the car rental which spells out the cancellation charge (of only a few pounds) but they are insisting that I obtain an invoice for the sppecified cancellation fee (which the car rental company haven't issued, so they want me to ask for one) to really, really, really prove we had to pay it.

So whether you can actually trust any travel insurer to play fair if you have a substantial medical problem while abroad in the present situation seems to me to be very uncertain. And the costs of hospital care abroad and then medical repatriation can be enormous if you are really unlucky, for example a serious stroke with lung and heart complications,coming home on a ventilator. The risks of that happening are of course rare but they can happen (a friend of mine had to be flown home from S America that way some years ago) and in that case you want your insurer to cover it and be helpful rather than playing silly buggers and being awkward for awkward's sake for months on end. I think you've really, really got to want to go abroad pretty desperately to trust any sort of travel insurance during this coronavirus outbreak, even if the policy seems to say you're covered.

It's pretty much a given that there will be no ehic card for sure so it's just travel insurance and as posted above buyer beware. It's possible pre conditions could be a problem getting insurance for as well as long trips but you will be limited to 90 days max travel in Europe anyway.

Thanks all, ref Nationwide I have recently cancelled my Bank account as when we had our holiday cut short they paid us a little took £100 of it to start with,cancelled the insurance I had paid 12 months for after only 10 weeks .this year was the most expensive one we have had in 40 years wintering abroad and it was for the shortest time, it,s time the ombudsman took them to task but I got in touch with them in April and still waiting for an answer,another waste of tax payers money on them fesspark

Archived