Black History Month ...

Birdbrain

pelmetman - 2020-10-01 8:41 AM

Sounds a bit racist to me *-) ..........

Wot about the Saxon's or Vikings or Romans etc etc etc? ;-) .........

Wouldnt just 'History Month' be better ... All history is important ... Even the history that some dont like and then find it "funny" to violently erase it ... Funny old inclusive world init ... KAGA xxxx

Birdbrain - 2020-10-01 7:06 AM

... Unsure why its needed ... https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk ... Its not very inclusive is it ... Isnt black history just another part of history, no more or less important than other history ... We've had Chinese folk in the UK for centuries yet I dont see us having a Chinese history month ... Strange world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asian_Heritage_Month#:~:text=South%20Asian%20Heritage%20Month%20runs,are%20present%20throughout%20the%20UK.

https://www.qmsu.org/ahm/

Why are you so bothered? What is wrong with a minority group celebrating their roots and history?

"Black" seems to be a non-racial grouping these days, since the old racial categories (of caucasian, mongol, negro etc) have become obsolete and offensive, and I'm struggling to get my head round who is included. We have lots of mixed race people in our society and some of them seem to favour being classed as "Black", for example Lewis Hamilton seems to do that, and to wear platted hair etc as well as to campaign for BLM. Have we got to the stage of dismantling racial stereotypes so that anyone who identifies as Black is Black?

The main thrust of it seems to be a resentment about being a disadvantaged group (historically speaking) and about what they call white priviledge, which is perhaps saying the same sort of thing the other way around.

Plenty of Blacks seems to have been very successful in life (Sir Trevor McDonald, Lenny Henry, so not just atheletes) and plenty of non-Blacks are just as much low achievers as the low achieving Blacks. Perhaps a greater proportion of Blacks are low achievers and end up as jailbirds because of less opportunity, is that what the beef is?

So what are the ways in which Blacks (whatever that means these days) have less opportunity? Blacks living in UK all have schooling opportunity but maybe the low achievers are clustered in poorer areas where low achievers are congregated, so its the context of clustered low achievers which is the fundamental problem? Are will still allowed to suggest these days that poor parenting and poor community example (gangs, drug use etc) is the root problem - or is that their "Culture", which we're not allowed to disrespect?

StuartO - 2020-10-01 10:15 AM

"Black" seems to be a non-racial grouping these days, since the old racial categories (of caucasian, mongol, negro etc) have become obsolete and offensive, and I'm struggling to get my head round who is included. We have lots of mixed race people in our society and some of them seem to favour being classed as "Black", for example Lewis Hamilton seems to do that, and to wear platted hair etc as well as to campaign for BLM. Have we got to the stage of dismantling racial stereotypes so that anyone who identifies as Black is Black?

The main thrust of it seems to be a resentment about being a disadvantaged group (historically speaking) and about what they call white priviledge, which is perhaps saying the same sort of thing the other way around.

Plenty of Blacks seems to have been very successful in life (Sir Trevor McDonald, Lenny Henry, so not just atheletes) and plenty of non-Blacks are just as much low achievers as the low achieving Blacks. Perhaps a greater proportion of Blacks are low achievers and end up as jailbirds because of less opportunity, is that what the beef is?

So what are the ways in which Blacks (whatever that means these days) have less opportunity? Blacks living in UK all have schooling opportunity but maybe the low achievers are clustered in poorer areas where low achievers are congregated, so its the context of clustered low achievers which is the fundamental problem? Are will still allowed to suggest these days that poor parenting and poor community example (gangs, drug use etc) is the root problem - or is that their "Culture", which we're not allowed to disrespect?

I think what black people want is just to be equal to white people. Lets face it, they are not treated as equal by some (many?). There is inherent racism throughout the UK right up to our governments and has been for centuries. Yes its not as bad as some other countries but its undeniably present. Of course there are examples of successful black people all over the world but that does not detract from the fact that black people are simply not born equal to white people in western society if for no other reason than the inherent racism that exists.

pelmetman - 2020-10-01 8:41 AM

Sounds a bit racist to me *-) ..........

Wot about the Saxon's or Vikings or Romans etc etc etc? ;-) .........

The difference is Dave, that Black is a colour.

Saxon, Roman and Viking are not the names of colours, they are nationalities.

:-|

Barryd999 - 2020-10-01 11:02 AM

I think what black people want is just to be equal to white people. Lets face it, they are not treated as equal by some (many?). There is inherent racism throughout the UK right up to our governments and has been for centuries. Yes its not as bad as some other countries but its undeniably present. Of course there are examples of successful black people all over the world but that does not detract from the fact that black people are simply not born equal to white people in western society if for no other reason than the inherent racism that exists.

But it is a matter of fact, is it not, that the people in UK who identify with Blacks as a group, are substantially over-represented among low achievers in our society and also in the prison population. While one possible explanation for this is that they have been actively disadvantaged over many generations (by non-Black anti-Blacks, they would claim) I don't see all that much evidence to support active discrimination being the main cause at all - and the other main possibility is that, as a Group, they are simply lower achievers on average and more inclined to criminal behaviour. In other words although there are many obvious exceptions (like Sir Trevor and Lenny, who are high achievers) it's possible that blaming the non-Blacks has no real basis (eg slavery ended the best part of 200 years ago, Blacks get adequate schooling in UK etc) and the fundamental problem is that a higher proportion of Blacks are low achievers because they have poor personal aptitude. Blacks fail as a Group because individually too many of them lack the personal qualities to become even moderate achievers.

When I went to Medical School in 1962, I shared a body in the Anatomy Disection Room with a Black guy from Nigeria. He was a lovely guy, modest but clever and diligent. To cut a long story short he ended up as an extremly extrovert, gregarious multi-millionaire Orhopaedic Surgeon in Texas because he invented a very clever finger splint which was adopted world-wide. He came to our reunions dressed as a Texan and was wonderful company. He succeeded because he had the aptitude. His Dad had been a judge back in Nigeria so it's likely he had a good genetic inheritance of aptitude and drive. But I've also known Blacks who were clearly not very intelligent and/or lazy and as had no work in them, as it were, so they were a deadwood burden on the NHS, which seemed to have no way of handling them. Plenty of Blacks I've known through work were really good workers, but mostly in semi-skilled or labouring-type jobs. I can't remember ever seeing anyone of any racial or ethnic group being personally discriminated against for that reason but I have seen quite a few chips on the shoulder being exhibited by low achievers of all racial and ethnic types.

So I'm petty unconvinced that White Priviledge is much of a factor or that Blacks, as a Group, whatever than means these days, face much more unfair discrimination in society than the rest of us. I was brought up in a working class home (with good old-fashioned working class ethics) and had the aptitude to make progress in life but most of my fellow pupils at primary school didn't make similar progress - and not for a second were they discriminated against, they just didn't have what it took. Could it not be largely the same with the majority of today's Blacks?

StuartO - 2020-10-01 12:15 PM

But it is a matter of fact, is it not, that the people in UK who identify with Blacks as a group, are substantially over-represented among low achievers in our society and also in the prison population. While one possible explanation for this is that they have been actively disadvantaged over many generations (by non-Black anti-Blacks, they would claim) I don't see all that much evidence to support active discrimination being the main cause at all - and the other main possibility is that, as a Group, they are simply lower achievers on average and more inclined to criminal behaviour. In other words although there are many obvious exceptions (like Sir Trevor and Lenny, who are high achievers) it's possible that blaming the non-Blacks has no real basis (eg slavery ended the best part of 200 years ago, Blacks get adequate schooling in UK etc) and the fundamental problem is that a higher proportion of Blacks are low achievers because they have poor personal aptitude. Blacks fail as a Group because individually too many of them lack the personal qualities to become even moderate achievers.

When I went to Medical School in 1962, I shared a body in the Anatomy Disection Room with a Black guy from Nigeria. He was a lovely guy, modest but clever and diligent. To cut a long story short he ended up as an extremly extrovert, gregarious multi-millionaire Orhopaedic Surgeon in Texas because he invented a very clever finger splint which was adopted world-wide. He came to our reunions dressed as a Texan and was wonderful company. He succeeded because he had the aptitude. His Dad had been a judge back in Nigeria so it's likely he had a good genetic inheritance of aptitude and drive. But I've also known Blacks who were clearly not very intelligent and/or lazy and as had no work in them, as it were, so they were a deadwood burden on the NHS, which seemed to have no way of handling them. Plenty of Blacks I've known through work were really good workers, but mostly in semi-skilled or labouring-type jobs. I can't remember ever seeing anyone of any racial or ethnic group being personally discriminated against for that reason but I have seen quite a few chips on the shoulder being exhibited by low achievers of all racial and ethnic types.

So I'm petty unconvinced that White Priviledge is much of a factor or that Blacks, as a Group, whatever than means these days, face much more unfair discrimination in society than the rest of us. I was brought up in a working class home (with good old-fashioned working class ethics) and had the aptitude to make progress in life but most of my fellow pupils at primary school didn't make similar progress - and not for a second were they discriminated against, they just didn't have what it took. Could it not be largely the same with the majority of today's Blacks?

So in a nutshell you are claiming that Black people are just naturally by the colour of their skin less intelligent than white people overall. I dont buy that. If you are white and from a poor background its much more likely you will "do less well" than if you came from a wealthy background, not always but in the main. There is white privilege within the white population for sure. Bar none that I can think of everyone who I grew up with that was from a middle class background has done well, not so the kids I knew from poorer backgrounds. Now add into that equation being black and also from a poorer background. So not only do you not have the same opportunities through decent schools, parents that take an active interest, being able to go on into further education etc you will also face the same inherent racism that has being going on for centuries. Not only that you face all the distractions also. Gang culture, drugs, crime etc all around you. Same for poor white kids without the racism added into the mix.

Look at America for example. Its only in our living memory that they passed the human rights act to make black people equal and not that long ago they were classed as property as slaves. South Africa is even more recent. Here its been much more liberal in comparison and you can see the difference as black people in the UK are generally treat better than America or South Africa and are less likely to be criminals or under achievers but they are still a long way from being equal, even here.

The sad fact is I dont think equality will ever happen. People will always be racist. It may change over time, a long time but just look at the reactions we have had towards the recent revolution across the world for equality for black people. People dont want to change and are frightened of any change that puts other races on the same level as them. I dont think they have much to worry about sadly.

StuartO - 2020-10-01 12:15 PM

Blacks fail as a Group because individually too many of them lack the personal qualities to become even moderate achievers.

Where have you drawn that from? :-S

But I've also known Blacks who were clearly not very intelligent and/or lazy and as had no work in them, as it were, so they were a deadwood burden on the NHS, which seemed to have no way of handling them.

Many white folk have no work in them too, possibly a higher percent than ethnics, but i wouldn't know how many are a 'deadwood burden' on the NHS. Some might go through life without ever needing it......just as some ethnics may.

Bulletguy - 2020-10-01 2:34 PM ..... Many white folk have no work in them too, possibly a higher percent than ethnics ....

Where did you get that last bit from, when it's well known that blacks are disproportionately represented in low pay jobs etc? Wishful thinking? Your first bit is true and they form the "poor white trash" element in society.

Barryd999 - 2020-10-01 12:44 PM .... So in a nutshell you are claiming that Black people are just naturally by the colour of their skin less intelligent than white people overall.

No, that's not what I said at all. Some Blacks are extremely intelligent and/or talented. Likewise some "whites" are stupid and/or lazy and criminally inclined. All categories of humans contain members with a spectrum or intelligence (or aptitude, as I prefer to say) which follows a Normal Curve of distribution. The causes of many (not all) Blacks being low achievers have nothing at all to do with the colour of their skin, everything to do with whether they, as individuals, have the necessary aptitude to achieve in life. The low achieving Blacks congregate in communities because they have things in common, not least their low achieving status. I've also made it clear that the term "Blacks" no longer applies to what used to be called negro peoples, a racial term which is now obsolete and discredited as a way of categorising people; "Blacks" now means a much broader and looser category which has a lot less to do with geographical or racial origin. Read my post again.

StuartO - 2020-10-01 4:39 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-10-01 12:44 PM .... So in a nutshell you are claiming that Black people are just naturally by the colour of their skin less intelligent than white people overall.

No, that's not what I said at all. Some Blacks are extremely intelligent and/or talented. Likewise some "whites" are stupid and/or lazy and criminally inclined. All categories of humans contain members with a spectrum or intelligence (or aptitude, as I prefer to say) which follows a Normal Curve of distribution. The causes of many (not all) Blacks being low achievers have nothing at all to do with the colour of their skin, everything to do with whether they, as individuals, have the necessary aptitude to achieve in life. The low achieving Blacks congregate in communities because they have things in common, not least their low achieving status. I've also made it clear that the term "Blacks" no longer applies to what used to be called negro peoples, a racial term which is now obsolete and discredited as a way of categorising people; "Blacks" now means a much broader and looser category which has a lot less to do with geographical or racial origin. Read my post again.

You said and I quote "I don't see all that much evidence to support active discrimination being the main cause at all - and the other main possibility is that, as a Group, they are simply lower achievers on average and more inclined to criminal behaviour". and also "a higher proportion of Blacks are low achievers because they have poor personal aptitude. Blacks fail as a Group because individually too many of them lack the personal qualities to become even moderate achievers". but you don't really explain why that is the case. It appears that you think thats just the way black people are. Forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree but it kind of sounded like you meant that black people are somehow naturally more dense than white people. I am sure now that is not what you meant but if it is true that they are generally lower achievers, have poor aptitude or just a lack of qualities to become even moderate achievers then if its not because they are naturally thicker than white then what is the reason?

Its seems fairly obvious to me. They are held back by prejudice, poverty and probably their own culture but which came first the chicken or the egg? Minorities that feel oppressed will create their own bubbles and gangs I guess which in some cases just make the situation worse as has to some extent the entire BLM protests we have seen over the last few months.

I dont have any answers, just questions really. The one thing I do know is racism is alive and well and helps nobody. I find it abhorrent and disgusting but the rise of Populism over the past few years has certainly brought the racists to the surface and this is the result.

StuartO - 2020-10-01 4:29 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-10-01 2:34 PM ..... Many white folk have no work in them too, possibly a higher percent than ethnics ....

Where did you get that last bit from, when it's well known that blacks are disproportionately represented in low pay jobs etc? Wishful thinking? Your first bit is true and they form the "poor white trash" element in society.

Whilst black unemployment is higher it's actually decreased where white unemployment has increased over the same period according to this govt link.

https://tinyurl.com/y58wh8jf

So there is no study or figures showing 'black people lack the personal qualities to become even moderate achievers' or how many are a 'deadwood burden' on the NHS?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-10-01 9:30 AM

... Unsure why its needed ... https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk ... Its not very inclusive is it ... Isnt black history just another part of history, no more or less important than other history ... We've had Chinese folk in the UK for centuries yet I dont see us having a Chinese history month ... Strange world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asian_Heritage_Month#:~:text=South%20Asian%20Heritage%20Month%20runs,are%20present%20throughout%20the%20UK.

Why are you so bothered? What is wrong with a minority group celebrating their roots and history?

So when can I expect to see White East End Cockney's celebrating thier ethnic cleansing? :-| ...........

Both of you, Bulletguy and Barryd999 are socialists and you believe deeply in your socialist hearts that all men are born equal, at least as far as their aptitude or potential is concerned whereas I believe that stupid people (regardless of colour) breed stupid people and probably bring them up less successfully too - just as we can observe that in other species that breeding has a big impact on aptitude or achievement. Unfortunately we don't get to choose our parents, so some of us are lucky and some are not.

In the early part of the 20th Centuary there was a lot of scientific interest in the effects on human development, especially in the USA (but later of course in Germany) and this area of study was called Eugenics and the aim was to help human development along a bit by actively managing human breeding. It became discredited, especially after it led to Hitler's genetic cleansing policies (i.e. The Holocost) that it became unacceptable to do any scientific enquiry or engage in any active management of human breeding and this is still the case. Since then the former racial categories (Caucasian etc) have all become discredited and are no longer considered either polite or scientifically useful.

However the scientific studies of the Eugenics era (before WW2) did measure things such as the comparative intelligence of different racial groups and even though these results are now considered morally tainted and unreliable as accurate reflections of reality, especially in the modern era, they did show marked differences. For example the IQ test devised by Hans Eysenck scored intelligence among Caucasians and was callibrated to deliver an average score for a population of 100. There would be a spectrum of intelligence in a population of normal distribution with most people scoring within one standard deviation of the average (i.e. relatively close) and much smaller numbers of people of very high and very low intelligence as the graph tapered out at each end of the curve. The same test, although intended only for use with Caucasians, was applied to other racial groups and there were differences, sometimes quite marked. The average score among Negros (which is not the same grouping as Blacks, the modern ethnic or racial grouping) was dramatically lower than the average score for Caucasians. (By the way at least one other racial type was significantly higher than Causcasians.)

I must emphasise that the Eysenck IQ Test was not developed for this comparative purpose and anyway the racial classifications of Caucacsian and Negro are no longer considered valid. But the result was broadly consistent with the sorts of jobs (or lack of job) which the racial groups were doing at the time. Make of that what you will.

I think that common sense tells us that people have varying level of aptitude and that who ouur parents are makes quite a difference. There are other factors too of course.

Throughout my childhood and up until I married and left home at 24 my parents fostered Nigerian children and guess their colour, until recently I've never had to differentiate people by their skin pigmentation now it is rammed down my throat on a daily basis. I'm still in touch with one and consider her to be my sister and am proud of her achievements, all this public ranting is doing is driving a wedge between people of varying skin pigmentation and the country is a poorer place for it.

pelmetman - 2020-10-01 6:32 PM

So when can I expect to see White East End Cockney's celebrating thier ethnic cleansing? :-| ...........

Dave the original cockneys were coster mongers and they were Jewish. My Father did work for them sometimes and they were lovely people if you were a young male child.

Guest pelmetman
teflon2 - 2020-10-01 6:50 PM

Throughout my childhood and up until I married and left home at 24 my parents fostered Nigerian children and guess their colour, until recently I've never had to differentiate people by their skin pigmentation now it is rammed down my throat on a daily basis. I'm still in touch with one and consider her to be my sister and am proud of her achievements, all this public ranting is doing is driving a wedge between people of varying skin pigmentation and the country is a poorer place for it.

Yep I agree ;-) ........The BLM gang are not trying to do anything positive *-) ........

They're just using history as their hobby horse to batter white folk :-| ......

Coz they're THE rascists ;-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
teflon2 - 2020-10-01 6:54 PM

Dave the original cockneys were coster mongers and they were Jewish. My Father did work for them sometimes and they were lovely people if you were a young male child.

Were you born in the East End ;-) .......

Did you have generations of family in the East End? :-| .....

Just askin?........

pelmetman - 2020-10-01 7:01 PM

teflon2 - 2020-10-01 6:54 PM

Were you born in the East End ;-) .......

Did you have generations of family in the East End? :-| .....

Just askin?........

Yes my sister was born within the sound of Bow bells. Just saying :-D

Archived