Tyre Pressures

_Chris

My Boxer handbook says to use 44 psi front and rear for the 270 model. I have 195/70 R15C tyres. The guy at the tyre shop says that 48 psi is better so that is what I use but I have seen much higher pressures recommended. It's just a standard spec campervan carrying the things you would expect and 2 people.

Is 48 psi about right?

A couple of things to note.

You don't give the load index of tyres, this will be part of determining the tyre pressures.

You state "It's just a standard spec campervan carrying the things you would expect and 2 people.", in many cases this equates to it running at or around maximum plated weight, something which many don't realise.

You say the handbook states 44psi, this seems a bit low for a Boxer 270, I would have guessed the handbook would give 48 to 52 psi.

As Paul has posted, if you weight in at your maximum touring load, you can better judge if you are using the correct pressures.

I believe a 195/70 R15 “CP”-marked ‘camping-car’ tyre has not been marketed for years, which means that the 70psi-plus pressures often recommended for that type of tyre will not apply for Chris’s Year-2000 Symbol.

The load index of a 195/70 R15C tyre (which Chris has said he has) is usually 104, equating to a maximum axle loading of 1800kg.

If Chris’s Boxer handbook advises 44psi front and rear, that sounds OK to me as a 2000 Symbol is pretty compact. However, if Chris chooses to use 48psi (or a bit higher) instead, the difference when driving and in tyre-wear is unlikely to be noticeable.

As has been said above, weighing the Symbol ‘fully loaded’ would confirm its in-use axle loadings.

Yes, the load index is 104/102. I've never had to quote that bit before. I skimmed the technical data section of the Symbol manual a while back and didn't make much sense of the weights. I've had another look and see that the Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) front and rear is 1460kg.

So, from the table that Paul sent a link to, that will indicate a tyre pressure of about 50 psi if the van is fully loaded. So we are in the right area.

Next time we have a trip away I'll go via the weighbridge and refer back to that handy table.

These data (supposedly) relate to a Year-2000 Symbol, with the MTPLM( Laden weight) given as 2800kg and the unladen weight as 2431kg.

https://www.gocaravanning.com/motorhome-specifications/model/autosleepers-symbol_1001.html

The MTPLM, maximum train weight (vehicle + trailer) and maximum front and rear axle loadings will be shown on your Symbol’s Peugeot VIN-plate. Nowadays there would be two data plates showing weight information (as shown in the image below) but that might not have been so in 2000.

In the example image, the top figure is the MTPLM (3500kg), the figure below that is the train weight (5000kg) and below that are the maximum axle loadings. 1 = the front axle loading (1850kg) and 2 = the rear axle loading (2000kg).

1194159487_VINplate.jpg.5c1dc6c7ced413b05f2b9438afb3f1a8.jpg

This has all got a bit confusing. I've located the VIN plate under the bonnet but the figures do not seem to correspond with the ones in the Symbol manual, shown in brackets..

MTPLM 3200kg (2800 kg)

Train Weight 4700kg (4300kg - shown as gross train mass in the manual)

Front Axle Loading 1650kg (1460kg - shown as MTPLM front)

Rear Axle Loading 1750kg (1460kg - shown as MTPLM rear)

I'm not too concerned about the train weight because the 2L petrol engine is a little under powered so I don't plan on doing any towing even though it has a tow bar fitted.

But why is there such a big difference in the numbers and which ones are '"right"?

1994717824_VINplate1.JPG.c489a4f08051b91c6bb0c3f085c63010.JPG

The 2000 petrol Symbol was built as standard on the 2800 MAM base, and I suspect any manual would have been written to reflect this.

It would appear that your particular one has been built on the 3200 base, and in the absence of any second VIN plate from Auto-Sleepers, I'd be inclined to believe and use the figures on the plate.

The reason for any upgrade is not obvious at this point, though I happen to know that A/S would allow a customer, within limits, to specify an alternate base (I know, because I had a previous model Symphony built on an uprated base vehicle), and from time to time converters have to take whichever base happens to be available if there is a shortage.

Edited to add:

the 2800 figure was correct for listings and a review in early 2000, by early 2001 the standard listing was 3200. The comments about the manual still apply.

The figures on the VIN-plate should be correct for your vehicle.

I have some old (1996] UK motorhome magazines that suggest that Auto-Sleepers was then building the "Symphony" panel-van-conversion on either a Peugeot medium wheelbase 270M or 320M chassis and it appears they were doing the same with the later "Symbol" - hence the 3200kg MTPLM relevant to the 320M chassis.

MTPLM is the vehicle's maximum gross weight - it has nothing to do with maximum axle loadings.

https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/how-to-calculate-your-motorhome’s-safe-weight-limits-4104/

MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) and GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) are also used as alternatives to MTPLM.

Archived