Break Down

steveandlisa

Hello,

Broke down tuesday on the way home from Poole :-( I`m on the M3 in the centre lane going uphill overtaking a 38 tonner and i`m doing about 63 mph, the next thing "bleep" "bleep" check engine light and into limp mode still in the middle lane mind you :-S I immediately hit the hazard warning lights and try to get over onto the hard shoulder. Some motorists were very considerate letting me over, others blowing me up @~#?!>~# >:-(

Anyway the breakdown service attends after a while and the technician with his plug in thingy diagnoses fault code (P0234 Turbo charger over boost condition). He said there was no evidence of split or damaged hoses and continued to reset the ECU. When he finished he was happy that the warning message had gone and also the amber engine warning light was off ;-). He said it could be just a simple glitch like a sticky wastegate actuator and may not happen again but advised us to have it looked at anyway.

Well we continued our journey home with no further problems so a big thank you to Stewart the technician B-)

Steve

Hi Steve

My son in law has 6 Ford transits and one of them under load will go into limp mode.

It’s something to do with a pipe maybe contracts.

But with this one you can turn the ignition off and it’s good to go.

With my Ford custom 9 seater I had a fault with the headlight.

I had to call out the AA whom sorted the problem and noted no1 heater plug had gone.

He said no problem and that was it.

A few months later the engine management light came on and several hundred £’s later it still caused problems.

The cause of the problem was.

When a fault is detected it stops the regeneration working and the cat clogged up.

I now have a new Ford and I use any fuel and occasionally I fill up with shell premium

Expensive, but it’s amazingly good.

I’m sure it cleans everything out nicely and every time it goes in for a service I make sure they check for error codes.

Don't wish to drag this thread OT, but I'm somewhat wary of the claims made for this or that "premium" fuel. The underpinnings of our vans are commercial vehicles that are built for "rough" use over almost interstellar mileages. I haven't observed many commercial vans queuing up at the "premium" fuel pump on forecourts. Most just seem to go for whatever is cheapest.

My suspicion is that anything that begins to get a van a reputation for unreliability is far more likely to be due to a fault in the vehicle itself rather that the fuel that is used, and that no fuel of whatever "quality" will be able to counter an inherent vehicle fault.

I think it might be more productive to spend the extra on getting the vehicle regularly serviced by an accredited dealership - to ensure any software upgrades/updates, or non-safety related recalls, released/sanctioned by the manufacturer, are installed during normal servicing - than to buy premium fuel.

I’m not a converted premium fuel user.

We have a fleet of vehicles

Transit 16 seaters and the new Ford custom 8 seaters.

The custom ones have been serviced by Ford garages and they did not do the update required for the oil problem and they did not notice the faulty injector.

Mileages range from 85,000 to 589,000 km’s

The build up of deposits are substantial and we have only recently started giving each bus a run on premium.

This was recommended to me by a friend whom purchased my high Milage Renault master and it runs superbly, he only uses Shell fuel.

His last readings on exhaust admissions were extremely low.

Lots of people take supplements.

I’m sure it could be worth giving our very expensive MH’s a little treat.

Archived