Sale of goods act.

jumpstart

jumpstart - 2020-10-28 8:42 PM

Our microwave has just packed up , so 19 months from purchase of new Motorhome.

I see that It has a 1 year warrantee , but can I expect a replacement under the Sale of goods Act as it has not even lasted 2 years.?

Depends on your dealer they might as a good will gesture don't forget to let us know how you get on

jumpstart - 2020-10-28 8:42 PM

Our microwave has just packed up , so 19 months from purchase of new Motorhome.

I see that It has a 1 year warrantee , but can I expect a replacement under the Sale of goods Act as it has not even lasted 2 years.?

The terms and conditions of the Elddis warranty are stated here

https://elddis.co.uk/help-support/warranty

and are as follows

Year 1 Warranty - Covers all original components, including permanently fitted equipment forming part of the original product specification.

Year 2 and 3 Warranty - Covers all original components, including permanently fitted equipment forming part of the original product specification, with the exception of the following items:

- Microwaves

- Tyres

- Batteries

- Windows and glass

- Deterioration of exterior paint work

- Soft furnishings, carpets and floor coverings

- Entertainment equipment

- Fluorescent tubes, bulbs, LEDs and fuses

- Plastic and GRP exterior panels

- Plastic products including A-frame covers, wheel spats and shower trays

- Minor adjustment of blinds, hinges, catches, stays and doors

For you, the relevant legislation will be the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (not the Sale of Goods Act) and there’s guidance on this here

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

As far as I can make out, although one might hope that a microwave oven should survive in a motorhome for more than 19 months, thee wa nothing intrinsically ‘faullty’ with the microwave oven when you bought the motorhome and the oven is only warranted by Elddis for 12 months (and the oven is specifically excluded from the Year 2 warranty).

As witzend has said, see what your motorhome dealer’s attitude is and - if you want more advice - contact Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

(You are certain that the oven is genuinely kaput, rather than not working because of a problem with the power-supply to it?)

Thanks Brian, doing some potatoes in it when it just stopped and all the lights on it went out. I couldn’t get it to restart so unplugged it. This morning checked there was power to the socket, checked the fuse in the plug ...all ok so plugged it in and the lights on it came on again. I was a bit surprised to say the least. I can only assume that as the potatoes produced a lot of steam maybe it was unable to vent itself so switched itself off.

I had two weeks ago talked to the selling agent about the fact I could smell a overheated plastic smell when it was operating,and was concerned it was failing. Maybe it still is.

We’ve only used it about 20 times so had it failed I would certainly go back to the dealer looking for a replacement.

We had a microwave in a Auto Quest 115 a 2015 model.

Our's used to cut out (overheated) after about 8 minutes on full power but was okay after it had cooled down.

Took it back to the dealers and they altered something (I know not what) and it was okay, I noticed that since 2016 the microwave has two air vents instead of one like ours, so perhaps they have fixed the problem now.

Pete

There’s a good deal of on-line discussion about microwave ovens in leisure-vehicles and the need for adequate ventilation (and the draughts that ‘adequate’ ventilation may cause).

https://tinyurl.com/y4776ep9

As the instructions for the make/model (Daewoo, Russell-Hobbs?) of microwave oven that Elddis chose to factory-fit to your 2019 motorhome state that the appliance should only be used freestanding and not be built in or be used in a cabinet, you might want to highlight this to your dealer, particularly as you recently advised them about an overheated plastic smell when the oven was operating and the oven (after little use) is now proving problematical.

Even if there’s no proof that the oven was faulty when installed, as the oven’s instructions insist that it’s a freestanding-only model, the installation method plainly conflicts with the oven’s manufacturer’s guidance with potential safety implications.

(It wouldn’t in the least surprise me if it transpired that most of the small inexpensive microwave ovens commonly fitted as standard to UK-built leisure vehicles are intended for free-standing use only.)

• 1 year later...

We have a Russell Hobbs microwave RHM2063-AH fitted into our 2019 Elddis 185. It cuts out after about 5mins and on contacting RH they confirm it is overheating due to insufficient ventilation. They pointed out that their User Guide clearly states : free standing only, not to be built into a cabinet! If these instructions are not followed, the warranty is void!

Elddis are refusing to replace the microwave with a built-in model because it is out of the 1yr warranty, despite the fact that they have not followed the manufacturers instructions.

Anyone else had the same problem please, not sure where to go from here?

Archived