France - where to go for first timers with dogs

Mel B

Guest Mel B
We're going to France in mid-June for a couple of weeks, getting in at Dunkerque on a Saturday lunchtime. We will have 2 small dogs with us and would appreciate any suggestions on the best direction to go/area to see as first-timers abroad (well for any length of time at least). We like walking with the woofs, paddling and looking at historic towns, homes etc, and also want to get out and use our canoe if possible. If anyone can suggest where to go, or knows of a good book with suggestion of what to do, what to see etc we would appreciate you're telling us. Many thanks in anticipation.

Guest Nick Miller
I am sure you will get a fund of suggestions but for what its worth.....Feeling a little under the weather last autumn i didnt travel too far south but based myself and the dog around the Sarthe river (Alencon/LeMans/Angers) Not far for the dogs to travel plenty of nice municipals (Fresnay/Malicorne )with dog walking and the possibibility to launch the canoe. Always plenty of what to see and do literature in the Camping Acceuil or Tourist Office. That 'effelump' thing that locked you out of your CampingCar and a canoe sounds like another disaster in the making. Wherever you go i am sure you will all enjoy yourselves.

Guest Mel B
Nick Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the heffalump won't be coming with us in June as we only got her in Feb - 18 months old going on 8 weeks and had been in kennels for 6 months due to a family split, no wonder she's so happy to be out of prison but ohhh, will we be happy when she grows up a bit!. She had her rabies etc jabs at the end of that month, so she can't come until our second trip in August/September. So we'll only have our 2 little dogs with us who have already been in the canoe and loved it, although I could swear they were embarrassed by the buoyancy aids! Midge the squidge (cross westie/jack russell) was trying to convince us to chase the ducks and Piggy (cross alsatian/jack russell ... yes, that's right, mother was the jack russell - she's a bit larger than a jack russell with alsation colouring!), well she was complaining because Midge was at the front. I know there are some regions which are better for canoeing than others but we also want to see some of the 'real' France not just the really touristy bits so I'll get my map out and see where the area you suggest is. Oh, we're quite in to caves as well if anyone knows of any good ones to visit (husband was a bat in a former life I think!).

Guest Nick Miller
Ah Caves..Lots a Grottes southeast of Perigueux but you are getting a bit touristy along the Dordogne. Camping at Bois de Couderc behind the Routier (***) cafe at Antonne with the best(i have found) bakers at Trelisac on the N21or a nice Aire at Bourdeilles on t'other side of Perigueux. Bearing in mind that my sole companion & navigator is a miserable old Jack any overnight recommendations bear dogs and not your self in mind.

Archived