driving from Montenegro to Macedonia.....

regmcm

I know this is a long shot but.....has anybody driven from Montenegro to Bulgaria? we are currently on the border or Montenegro and Croatia in a beautiful place called Kotor. We are in a 7m MH and need to make a decision as to whether to drive south through Albania or north over the mountains into Kosovo. Neither fills us with confidence! any advice would be appreciated .....

I don't see a problem going either way on the main roads. I've been on most of those roads, many were new back in 2011 when we last went from MN through Kosovo & Macedonia then back through Albania so I imagine there's even more now. The only slightly worse one, and I'm guessing it wouldn't even be on your radar, was the Kolašin - Andrijevica - Berane.

There are trucks and busses driving around every day so why would a 7m MH be a problem? Unless you seek out some side roads into remote mountain valleys like we did for climbing, you're fine whatever you're driving.

Same thing with Serbia and Bulgaria (last time was 2 years ago mid winter when we went skiing).

many thanks for the advice. We opted to go Albania, first hop from Montenegro to shkoder was a bit hairy over the mountain single track road, but we made it! ....5500km so far....now to Sofia, then north east Bulgaria then Izmir Turkey....

spirou - 2020-11-01 6:33 PM

Yup, I'd avoid eastern Turkey right now. Magnitude 7 earthquake doesn't go down without major disruptions.

Thanks for the advice but we really have no choice as my wife is from Izmir and we own an apartment there. She has not been directly affected by the quake but has relatives of friends who have sadly died. It has shaken us a bit though (pun intended) and so we are extending our intended eta to allow things to settle down. We are heading to Bulgaria to mooch around and look at property there which at the moment is incredibly cheap.

regmcm - 2020-11-02 6:34 AM

spirou - 2020-11-01 6:33 PM

Yup, I'd avoid eastern Turkey right now. Magnitude 7 earthquake doesn't go down without major disruptions.

We are heading to Bulgaria to mooch around and look at property there which at the moment is incredibly cheap.

Sorry to read of your friends/relatives lives lost in the earthquake. Re Bulgaria, property has always been cheap there and (dependent on what you want) it's easy to find a 'ready to move into' house around 30,000 euro. Apartments even less unless you want coastal.

Don't forget to buy a Vignette as soon as you enter BG because the police are very active there with roadside checks and they target unsuspecting tourists. Cost is peanut money for one week, 2 weeks or a month. The fine is not peanuts though!

Archived