Picked up new motorhome....(Broken down already)

Elaine

Picked up new motorhome today from Hymer uk. Went through all the checks as advised. Only found 3 faults which were rectified by hymer within an hour.

Was driving home and only got to junction 33 on the M6 when i suddenly lost power. I called Hymer to let them know and the AA were there within half an hour. I explained what had happened so he asked me to pull the bonnett. He went straight to one of the hoses that had came off completely. He fitted a jubilee clip and the problem was solved.

As you can imagine everything went through my mind when the van broke down, new engine? how do i get home and who will pay for all this. The end conclusion was panic over nothing.

The rest of the drive home was problem free, so now hoping to enjoy our new van and our childrens inheritence is once again spent

Hi Elaine

Sorry you had such a fraught experience on your first journey in the new van. Here's hoping for many happy miles in future.

Think of it as getting the problem out of the way immediately and all will now be OK & an Easter trip to look forward to.

Flicka

Yes looking forward to our first trip it was only a minor fault so not worrying. Only thing is waiting for my daughter to making me a gran before I can get away, she was supposed to have the baby last Sunday I think she is holding on so we can't get away. So heres hoping for some sleepless nights.

Guest JudgeMental

Have had lots of faults on new vehicles over the years....

So what's it like then - when its working that is! :-D

picking mine up on Monday *-)

Only had time to drive it as yet, but it is like driving a car it is really smooth and handles well. The gear changing on the new gear stick which is in the dashboard is a piece of cake. Ford in my opinion have done well. Although it has electric windows it has to be locked by the key, that is the only down point I could see just now. Hope you have better luck on Monday.

That problem happened to us too. Again there was a loose hose and this was after a service so blame the technicians who did not attach it correctly. Nice to know it is a simple fault though.

Enjoy your motorhome

Chris

Sorry to read about your problem Elaine.

Make sure that the correct concentration of 'coolant' (used to be known as anti-freeze) went back in.

This is essential in modern engines to maintain performance and durability.

Coolant hose clips are not screw on 'jubilee' clips any more, they are just bent bits of wire with a spring action. When checked at PDI/service, they always seem tight but are not always fitted far enough along the hose therefore blow off when engine temperature and water pressure rises.

Good luck and happy days for the rest of your ownership.

I can say the same for our British car bought five years ago just put petrol in and had it serviced each year. I don't think the country of origin really makes a lot of difference nowdays after all some of the best Japanese cars are built in Britain anyway!

Bas

Hello Elaine,

If your Hymer is based on the Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer was it the hose between the Turbo and the intercooler? Have had this problem on two Fiats exactly as you specified, a sudden loss of power preceded by a loud POP as the hose comes off.

This is a common problem with both these vehicles caused by the hose clip being of the one use torque bolt type. Having failed it cannot be re-used and is best replaced with a Jubilee Clip type. If not already done it may be worth getting this one off type of clip on the other hoses replaced as well. They are at both ends of the inlet pipe.

Another common problem is the circlip used to hold the clutch master cylinder hydraulic pipe which is often found not to have been seated correctly. All these should have been checked at the PDI.

None of these are serious problems and are fixed under warranty but do cause inconvenience.

Enjoy your new Hymer.

Regards,

Mike.

Guest JudgeMental
Elaine - 2007-03-23 6:38 AM

Hope you have better luck on Monday.

Yes indeed!

someone else who has had 4 previous new campers and has bought a ford based hymer was saying how car like and what an improvement it is.

I hope events have not cast to much of a cloud over your buying experience. the best antidote is to get out and enjoy it!

making sure you have adequate breakdown insurance :-D

Didn't get the chance to see if our new MH was going to break down.  Just had a call from the dealer to say there's been a hitch and we cannot now collect our vehicle tomorrow as planned.  The only 'slot' he now has is 9:30 next Thursday.

What was worrying is that ours was amongst a batch of four that were delivered.  Ours was perfectly fine apparently but two of them have been returned to the manufacturer because their backs were de-laminated!! 

Sounds expensive and not what you'd expect in a brand new vehicle.  How on earth did they pass quality control?

I hope you are still on target for Monday Judge?

Mike the Hymer is a ford based vehicle, as you said it was the clip that had came off or wasn`t fitted at all. The AA guy fitted a new jubillee clip on it. My next port of call is Halfords to buy some spare jubilee clips, better safe than sorry!

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2007-03-23 12:40 PM

hope you are still on target for Monday Judge?

Yes...

everything organised, but you no what they say the best laid plans and all that!

its always worth carrying some tie raps these are very strong and will do the trick - tightened with a pair of pliers

No need to appoligise Mike to us newbies all comments are welcome. I am quite sure your post would be appreciated by many on the forum. I am just feeling my way in the world of motorhomes and read all threads to see if I can pick up any new tips. So keep the posts coming they are most welcome!

Elaine.

Elaine - 2007-03-23 1:13 PM Mike the Hymer is a ford based vehicle, as you said it was the clip that had came off or wasn`t fitted at all. The AA guy fitted a new jubillee clip on it. My next port of call is Halfords to buy some spare jubilee clips, better safe than sorry!

Elaine,

Don't pay over the odds at Halfords.

Order them online from Screwfix -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18898&ts=39455

If your used to a caravan elaine its too easy to lock the habitation door when going out and leave the cab doors unlocked (we have) so its a good habit to get used to locking the front doors as soon as you stop on site and only use the habitation door .

Way2Go - 2007-03-23 12:40 PM

is that ours was amongst a batch of four that were delivered.  Ours was perfectly fine apparently but two of them have been returned to the manufacturer because their backs were de-laminated!!

W2G. what happenend to the two that were good I think you said yours was fine. Could you of not taken one of the two left that were fine.

I suppose they were given to other customers I hate that when you are excited and waiting a dead line only to be dashed at the last moment.

Never mind Thursday isn't long . As for your Jump leads stick with the biggies. I watched our silly car ones fry and never again ,we went and bought the industrial ones. Q! wheres your first trip going to be to for a check out and a drive !.......Nosey me.

Well Michele,

Camper delay was due to incompetence.  The two faulty ones were returned and ours is still there so I couldn't understand why we couldn't collect it as arranged.  The fault apparently lies with the underlings.

The salesman passed our insurance details to a colleague and asked him to send it to DVLA to get a tax disk, also to put it through the workshop for the ladder and bike-rack to be fitted as well as the preparation.  The salesman then went off on holiday for a few days.

When he came back, DVLA form and insurance still sat on his desk and camper still in the compound.

Jump Leads I think you're right, I'll get a couple of pylon strength I think ;-)

First trip will be 6 days off over Easter visiting 3 separate locations in Warwickshire and the Cotswolds.

Soooooo it's out of that comfy chair then O&A for you .

I must say not a good show with the saleman DVLA bit never mind these things are sent to try us. I hope you have many a happy time to come .

I,m sure you will. good luck enjoy every minute. :D

wave as you go keep the happy smile on the face .

You know the smug one that say's mines new.....have fun (lol)

Archived