eurotunnel

Poppy

Hi Poppy,

Eurotunnel is fine, as long as you don't get in the same queue as the village idiot for the automatic check in machines. You just drive onto the train, sit in your van and 35 minutes later, drive off again. There is a big Auchan a couple of miles away to top up with essentials such as booze, food and diesel and the motorway south (or not) is another couple of miles.

John.

Hi Poppy,

We found it clausterphobic and prohibitively expensive, I wouldn't get my wife or family near it again. The time we used it it took longer than using the ferry start to finish, the ferries are quite quick on turn around and loading and are a far more relaxed way to travel in our opinion.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

we used it last summer for the first time and enjoyed the speed and convenience - if you book in advance its not to expensive.

Have booked it again for our summer trip, but using conventional (cheaper)

ferries for Easter and short breaks.

problem is it gets more expensive the longer you leave it - but not to bad if you travel in the evenings.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Eurotunnel is brilliant and as for claustrophobic, well, I consider myself claustrophobic and didn't in any way feel hemmed in on the Eurotunnel train. I think that it's the finest way to travel to France, if you're on that general route of course.

Needless to say, if you consider the cost more important than anything else you'll probably look elsewhere but I've never objected to paying extra to travel first-class.

My advice is to give it a try - it's the only way to be sure as it's obvious that what some like, others don't.

eurotunnel is a great way of crossing to france i have used it a number of times with a car and caravan i found it much better than using the ferry this saturday i will be using it for the first time with a m/home i do not expect it to be a problem the best part is that they give you no hassle if you arrive at the wrong time not like the ferry the first they do is try to charge you a re booking fee. look on the net for the best price this year i got it cheaper than the ferry,some years it is cheaper on the ferry, so watch out for best deals.

Derrick

We pay for the tunnel with Tesco vouchers so it costs sweet Fanny Adams. We're also going to Paris on Eurostar in July for my 60th which is also courtesy of Tesco. Obviously we aren't taking the van on Eurostar. I asked if I could hitch it to the back of the train but they wouldn't have it

John

Guest starspirit

The tunnel is fine, fast and frequent and the check in process is quick and simple.

Like all things second time is even easier and if you can travel early morning or late evening a fare of £60 ish each way is easily found on-line.

Even the dog check in on the way home is easy.

Poppy - 2007-03-23 9:37 AM

Anyone used it? We never have but fancy trying it this year.

Hi poppy

We have used eurotunnel before and are about to book again for our trip to Germany this August.

We also use Tesco Clubcard deals so this is a very cheap way to go.

Three main reasons:

1. It is just so easy to book in, drive on and drive off.

2. Wife had an aversion to sea crossings - I don't mind sea crossings - it's sinking I have an aversion to!

3. The dogs stay in the van with you so bo trauma for them and the pets passport office on the Calais side is very good compared to the last time we went via P&O ferry.

The cost can be higher than some of the ferries (especially when you add two dogs on at £30 each) but if cost isn't your main worry then give it a try.

Regards, David

Just does not appeal, for one thing we still have to schlep down to the dreaded corner of hell, and for another - it takes me all my time to handle the longer of the Mersey tunnels - [not that keen on the shorter one :-( ]

B-)

Guest starspirit

You must have the super deluxe toilet Michele in order for it to be able to enjoy a cup of tea with you?

Does it talk too?

We have used the tunnel several times mainly because of our two dogs, always found it hastle free. If you can be flexible about travelling times and dates the web site shows the various prices. We are going in May £180 return including the dogs which are £30 each. Tried getting the dogs to contribute but they are tight with the cash.

I have never understood why the Tunnel gets such a bad press from the media.We have used many times and always found the organisation very slick on both sides of the channel.

It is unbeatable if you are travelling with dogs.

Yes it can be a tad more expensive , call me old fashioned but I prefer to sit in my camping car rather than be surrounded by Lager louts getting as much down their throats as they can

Poppy - 2007-03-23 9:37 AM

Anyone used it? We never have but fancy trying it this year.

poppy its great by the time you have had something to eat and been to the loo you are there. We didnt find it claustrophobic and you can get out and walk along the sides of your vehicle, at least you could when we went in our car last october weve never been in the van in tunnel but I would think it is the same.

And its ideal if you have a pet with you and dont like leaving them as on the ferry.

We used the tunnel quite happily until last year, when we encountered problems travelling back to the UK. The tickets say to arrive at least 30mins before departure, which we did. However, they had recently introduced an automated (so-called!) checking-in system. The problems with it are that (1) it is in only 2 languages, French and English - so how do the Germans, Spanish etc cope? (2) it asks stupid questions, such as - are you carrying pets, do you have LPG? A foreigner does not understand these words, especially as LPG in Europe is known as GPL!!!

No wonder then that it took 25 mins to check-in, by which time we were too late for our booked train. We then had to wait another hour and a half before we could leave.

We have now reverted to the ferry - it is also now much cheaper - £50ish. :-D

CAN I JUST SAY TO YOU ALL...................DOGS AS WELL

If you join the frequent travelers club with the shuttle its only £390 per year . For this you can go 10 times so there & back 5 times .

All you do is phone give them your frequent traveller number and that's it hey presto .. So £39 is a good deal obviously they get to get your money in advance but its worth it now the £39 quoted is for your car and how ever many passengers. If you then say you want to take your van they add on another £9.75p ...making the total £48.75 obviously still cheap .

the good thing is you can do it last minute they are never fully booked they run extra trains and you have the convience of sitting onyour own loo and making tea if you wish whilst eating your own sandwiches out of your own camper . saving money not going up on top deck and you can stay with your dog and if you wish go to sleep until the ladie say's bonjour you have arrived in frances enjoy your journey and dont forget to travel on the right. cant be bad . Our summer july & august trip has only cost us the above seems to me to be cheaper than all these ferries. ...but you have to be aware the people who go past you looking for the loo often jesture for the cup of tea in my hand ... of course I laugh :D :D :D :D go away no your not coming in its mine all mine...........te he.........

michele - 2007-03-25 11:42 AM

If you join the frequent travelers club with the shuttle its only £390 per year . For this you can go 10 times so there & back 5 times .

All you do is phone give them your frequent traveller number and that's it hey presto .. So £39 is a good deal obviously they get to get your money in advance but its worth it now the £39 quoted is for your car and how ever many passengers. If you then say you want to take your van they add on another £9.75p ...making the total £48.75 obviously still cheap .

Hi Michele,

Whilst I agree with you that for some the tunnel is fine, clearly for others it is not but I can see the benefit if you are taking the family animal with you, fortunately not something we have to consider.

I would just like to clarify your statement of only costing £39. If I understand your post correctly that is a single journey for a CAR with a number of passengers, pre booked as one of a block paid in advance flexible booking. So your actual cost for a return is £39 plus the supplement for the motorhome of £9.75 making £48.75 times 2 equals a total return cost for a motorhome of £97.50.

Now that might be cheap for a Tunnel crossing but I don't consider that cheap against a ferry crossing, ours three this year have cost us £48.40 in April £52.40 in June and £43.80 in September all for return crossings with P&O for the motorhome and up to 5 passengers.

Bas

Bas ,

sorry stand corrected . On reading some of the posts they are paying well into the hundreds . I was just trying to help people especially those that dont mind the shuttle and have an animal ?. obviously the shuttle is near for us straight there . But I can't argue with them prices .. better than the shuttle then. ;-)

Hi Michele,

No problem, I am sure the tunnel is good for those that like it, we just like the relaxing cruise at the start and finish of the holiday. Still i was having a clearout of a drawer the other day and found some old tickets some of the past crossing costs, back in the late 70's (yes I know, don't know why I still have them) with Townsend Thoresen, Dover Calais the cost was £278 return for car and caravan, but that was good because the caravan went free!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bas

Guest starspirit

So to sum it all up 'you pays your money and takes your choice'

Do your internet research on price comparisons first and take the best price that suits your personal preferences.

Simple enough init?

If it wasn't for the tunnel we'd not be able to travel to the continent, for two reasons:

The only time we took a ferry to France I was extremely seasick and had to spend the entire journey out on the deck in the cold wind and sea spray. That was twenty years ago and I said then, never again.

The second reason is our two extremely spoiled dogs. I know if we left them on their own in the van on a ferry they'd be traumatised by the end of it.

So, we think it's absolutely brilliant. Yes, it can be a bit pricy but then again so is flying. And as Michelle says, you have your own comfortable facilities.

Archived