Downsizing?

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

Tried it once and didn't like it so went back to a coachbuilt?

HOWEVER!

Perhaps the A/S Symbol was just too small after a Talisman, it being neither homely nor nimble - just cramped and no better on the road than a Nuevo?

So we're thinking again of maybe a smaller van - when we aren't thinking of a bigger van that is?

I know the Renault Master Van is highly regarded so any thoughts or experiences of the practicalities of the Devon Monaco or Monte Carlo, or of similar layouts from other converters would be appreciated please.

Any thoughts on the diesel powered hobs and 12v compressor fridges (any motor noise at night when 'tis quiet around) anyone, as a gas free van sure has it's appeal?

Many thanks

Thanks

Have heard mixed views and had mixed reception from Devon. Looked at the MC when it first came out at one of the shows - the demo man was clueless - I asked how easy it was to make up the bed, he said 'oh yes really easy - you just shift this, move that err no first you shift this then slide that then move the other so you can move err - it's really easy' So then I spoke to one of the main men - allegedly Mr Devon, and said 'I'm not too keen on that can I have it adapt.. .. .. ..' The response was no - don't like it - tough.

Now this really surprised me because a few years earlier we'd gone to their Cold Hesledon site - met Mr Devon [ mark1], - nothing was too much trouble.

Since then I've spoken to someone who used to work for them - very scathing wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

We've progressively downsized and wouldn't dream of going back. Seem to remember someone [Don Madge?] wrote a lengthy thread on downsizing. I think he now has a Trigano Trib.

Go for it Rich - you know it makes sense :-> :->

If I were you I would perhaps look for a small converter who would be prepared to adapt to my requirements, and if you get a decent 2nd hand base vehicle it would reduce the cost.

I don't know how much they've changed but I've heard good reports of Wigan's Nu Venture.

http://www.nuventure.co.uk/

http://www.nuventurecampers.co.uk/

2 brothers apparently who went their separate ways a few years ago.

I would def think about contacting them when we are due to replace our current 'van

B-)

Master/ Movano is a nice van to drive.

I have considered Devon in past but three things have put me off.

Bed is too small, I consider 4'6" to be minimum width of bed for us.

The one's I have seen at shows always have 'ragged' edges or not quite finished bits.

The shower is not designed to be used, see MMM? report about shower hose storage.

p.s. like twooks I found 'Mr Devon' to be unhelpful

Guest peter
Trugano Tribute's a nice van. Also a compresor frige isn't that noisy, I have one on my boat, it's also kinder on the batteries.

Hi all, Well I have just gone from a small van to a larger one, The small van based on a mk6 transit, and a larger Hymer 544. This is whatI found. The transit is a better base then the Fiat anyday. But the great thing about the smaller van is that I could just slip it in any parking space, it did not cry out motorhome to all the little sods on the look out for my tv etc. My other half used all the time, easy for her to drive, she can,t drive the hymer at all.

loads of free load weight, so we could go shopping mad, etc. fits on the drive.

Why did we get a larger hymer??? well two people and two dogs don,t work in a small van for 12 weeks or more at a time. The bed was 2 inches to short for me at just over 5,10. she was ok at 5,2. so I ended up sleeping on the make up bed at the front. The hymer as a better shower, setting etc,and more storage space even thoe it will not carry the weight of the transit.

after taking the transit all over europe in sun and snow, I must say that if it was not for that that missing 2 inches on the bed, and the fact that we always have 2 dogs in tow, I would be keeping the transit and selling the hymer, also one feels safer surounded by metal then I do surrounded by plastic and alloy.

terry

twooks - 2007-03-23 8:31 PM

We've progressively downsized and wouldn't dream of going back. Seem to remember someone [Don Madge?] wrote a lengthy thread on downsizing. I think he now has a Trigano Trib.

B-)

Hi Twooks,

We did downsize to a Timberland, would not touch a tribute with a barge pole 8-) Just MHO of course.

There's our thoughts on downsizing at http://tinyurl.com/2lg9g4

Don

starspirit - 2007-03-23 7:56 PM

Tried it once and didn't like it so went back to a coachbuilt?

Thanks

Then why make the same mistake again Richard. I believe you run a second vehicle for everyday use, and as in my case our van conversion was bought as a dual purpose vehicle to save on costs. Other factors come in to it of course, and for the last four years we have enjoyed every minute of it. Circumstances have now changed where we now have a car again and have decided to go back to a coachbuilt.

Like you we are aware of the benifits and limitations of both type of motorhome, but it seems in your case that you simply fancy a change. Not good enough i,m afraid and requires more thought on your part.

Guest starspirit

Thanks one and all for your comments.

It's not just a case of changing on a whim Howie it's more a case of making sure that our kids have less of our money to spend when we pop our clogs.

We have a hankering to do more long distance trips and whilst the Starspirit is a very good van, something a little more compact would make long distances driving and local lane exploration easier and more pleasurable.

However this applies only as long as it can be done in comfort for we are not about to consign ourselves to a life of misery clambering over each other in a small van with inadequate storage.

I share Don's lowly opinion of the Trigano - poor finish and furnishings, built down to a price and feels uncomfortable.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

There's no arguing the fact that for comfortable long-distance driving and then being able to explore the narrow lanes and hill villages of Europe you need a nice car and a moderately-sized touring caravan.

Park up the 'van on a lovely site, plug in the electrics and enjoy TV etc. and then explore the area to your heart's content for a day or two.

I can only contribute from the point of caravanning. We have had a variety of single axle caravans and toured Britain, France, Sweden and Holland with them and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. HOWEVER my step son (aka the brat) decided it wasn't COOL to caravan so we bought ourselves a big all singing twin axle all dancing twin axle and used it as a static for weekends and short breaks on a lovely site in Angelsy. Again, we enjoyed this very much. The brat has departed to uni and we are now FREE. We tried touring with the twin axle in Scotland last year (We have a large 4 wheel car ) and discovered that while we loved touring again and we loved the van once on site, it was not actually a lot of fun to tour with and very heavy to hitch unhitch etc. We did wonder about a smaller caravan but my husband has always wanted to try motor caravanning and we could keep a motorhome at home (but not a caravan) and thought this would just be so much more convenient especially for weekends away.At first I wanted a large motorhome and to tow a small car etc. However we read the excellent Go Motor Homing book and read about some of the disadvantages of larger motorhomes. They also made the very sensible sugestion that if for some reason you occasionally felt the need for a car, why not rent one locally.This makes so much sense financially as well as anything else.We went to look at the vanmaster troodos and very much liked it but then read about and went to see the Hymer Van. It was love at first sight as it has most of the practicality of the Vanmaster but just that LITTLE extra space and size that made all the difference. We like fixed bed layouts and having the table ready and in position to be used instead of having to drag it out/put it away etc. appealed as well. Its not the smallest motorhome in the world but while we wanted practicality we also wanted some comfort as well. We are quite excited now and hope we have made the right decision (and so does the dog who has her passport now so we can revisit France this year.)

peter - 2007-03-23 9:00 PM Trugano Tribute's a nice van. Also a compresor frige isn't that noisy, I have one on my boat, it's also kinder on the batteries.

Peter, somehow I feel you're missing out on something!  You have a home that is immobile, one that floats and one with wheels.  You can only occupy one at a time.

If your boat was smaller you could tow it behind your 'van.  Then, live in the van and use the boat for boating.  Alternatively, if you boat was bigger, you could carry a car on your boat.  Then, live in the boat, and use the car for touring.  Either would save you one mobile home. 

Are you quite sure you aren't making life just that bit overcomplicated? :-)

starspirit - 2007-03-24 2:45 PM Thanks one and all for your comments. It's not just a case of changing on a whim Howie it's more a case of making sure that our kids have less of our money to spend when we pop our clogs. We have a hankering to do more long distance trips and whilst the Starspirit is a very good van, something a little more compact would make long distances driving and local lane exploration easier and more pleasurable. However this applies only as long as it can be done in comfort for we are not about to consign ourselves to a life of misery clambering over each other in a small van with inadequate storage. I share Don's lowly opinion of the Trigano - poor finish and furnishings, built down to a price and feels uncomfortable.

Richard

Might it be worth your while to look at the newish batch of "compact" coachbuilts and even, since you want to spend to the hilt, the A classes.  Dethleffs, Knaus, Hymer, Eriba and Hobby all make somethig with "van" in the name.  They are all around 6 meters long, which is only squat longer than the new Ducato, and are down to 2070mm wide, which is about the same proportion wider than the new Ducato.

They nearly all have transverse rear beds over a garage - but if you don't like that arrangement, look at the A class Globebus, one version of which has an A class drop down double bed with a U shaped rear lounge.  Also Knaus V Liner and C Liner and the new Hymer Excis, which looks a vast improvement on the old one.

In addition, most of the above are on a MWB chassis (Ford or Fiat), which seems to offer much better manoeuverability over the LWB van conversions.

Food for thought?

Guest starspirit
since you want to spend to the hilt

Did I say that Brian - must be gettin' old.

No I don't want to spend silly money which is why the Devon pair at around £34k seemed good value at a sensible price when compared to the undoubted quality, but at a price of the likes of Timberland and IH for a heck of a lot more.

Whilst I generally agree that 'yer gets what yer pays for' I would much rather drive my Toyota Verso than the very nice BMW 320D that I had before and it cost £7k less for similar performance.

There is only so much in the kitty and 'er indoors also wants a mobile home in France and a narrowboat on the canals here to play with as well as the apartment in Spain and a Motorhome and two cars - oh yes and a helicopter too!

Please thank the other kind contributor (sorry can't remember who it was) for reminding me about towing a caravan - I never though of that? Perhaps not methinks!

Guest starspirit
This is also very true oh wise one from the east but am I deluding myself in thinking that a panel van as opposed to a coachbuilt is a tad less insecure (not to be confused with more secure?).

Hi SS, sorry but I think you are wrong on one point, hi can a metal panel van with more upto date locks, Well mine as anyway, there are no outside locks on the rear, or both side doors, the fact that metal is stronger then plastic for one think, also one can add inner door locks to the rear and side doors that know one can open from the outside.

Metal vans are much much better in this respect, and always will be over plastic or soft alloy anyday.

terry

terry1956 - 2007-03-24 8:00 PM

Hi SS, sorry but I think you are wrong on one point, hi can a metal panel van with more upto date locks, Well mine as anyway, there are no outside locks on the rear, or both side doors, the fact that metal is stronger then plastic for one think, also one can add inner door locks to the rear and side doors that know one can open from the outside.

Metal vans are much much better in this respect, and always will be over plastic or soft alloy anyday.

terry

I believe that is immeterial (no pun intended), if they want it they will get it irrespective of the build material. I would lay money there are more steel vans stolen than coachbuilt motorhomes, it is just that the contents of a van makes them a more lucrative steal than a motorhome.

Richard and all others that have done it I salute you, I couldn't live with less than a 7 metre approx coachbuilt even that feels cramped at times, I have never found a problem going where I want just a bit of forward planning required, JMO.

Bas

Guest starspirit

Premature salutations Basil as it's only a thought at the moment and may well yet join the ever growing pile of discarded brainwaves.

On the other hand you don't get nowhere by not considering all the options prior to making the wrong choice do you?

Forward planning is all very well but going forward is never a problem - it's when you can't go any more forwarder that the fun begins and I just feel that a panel van might make that urge 'to boldly go where no van has gone before' a little less fraught?

Hi Basel, I am with you with the fact if they want it they will have it, but what i was stating was that metal is harded to break into then plastic, and as panel vans are metal then they are harder to break into. My ford only as one lock on the outside, Yes they can use a slip iron to get in, but not many ass holes carry one of these do they, the old way of taking a van was to cut the rubber surround from the rear window, well they can,t be done these days as the windows are bonded. Its harder to break into then a motorhome thats what I was saying, and thats a fact.

terry

We were lucky enough to spend February in Westarn Australia which included 2 weeks with a coachbuilt motorhome. The compressor fridge worked well but its was good for 1 night only on the 200 ampere hour battery(we were warned by the hire company) but the noise it made at night, especially as it was mounted beneath the stainless steel draining board was just too much. Interestingly although the fridge was made in Japan the air vents in the side of the van for it were Dometic.

Personal opinion but you are so limited by a compressor fridge. Many ozzy vans still use the Dometic 3 way fridges.

Thetford now also have an absorbtion type fridge out as well. Worth a look.

But if you always go from site to site always with hookup then a domestic compressor fridge plus an inverter while driving could suit you.

Don,t forget, you have to be really old like Don to want to downsize!

(sorry mate)

C.

Clive - 2007-03-24 9:39 PM

We were lucky enough to spend February in Westarn Australia which included 2 weeks with a coachbuilt motorhome. The compressor fridge worked well but its was good for 1 night only on the 200 ampere hour battery(we were warned by the hire company) but the noise it made at night, especially as it was mounted beneath the stainless steel draining board was just too much. Interestingly although the fridge was made in Japan the air vents in the side of the van for it were Dometic.

Personal opinion but you are so limited by a compressor fridge. Many ozzy vans still use the Dometic 3 way fridges.

Thetford now also have an absorbtion type fridge out as well. Worth a look.

But if you always go from site to site always with hookup then a domestic compressor fridge plus an inverter while driving could suit you.

Don,t forget, you have to be really old like Don to want to downsize!

(sorry mate)

C.

Clive,

You are a cheeky sod at times, you know very well I did not "WANT" to downsize it was forced upon me by the dreaded 70+ medical. Having said that we have certainly made the most of it and it has really opened up new horizons for us.

I will now sulk and I might even refuse to eat your craps 8-) 8-) 8-) the next time we get together.

Don

Guest starspirit

Thanks Brian. I've never met Don but, unlike us, he does sound really old and although I am proud to be a grumpy old man I really don't want to be seen as too old to drive a coachbuilt yet!

The Starspirit has a Thetford 3 way fridge and it works fine on gas and 12v and even has a light inside. Never tried it on mains as we don't bother with umbilical cords.

We don't like night time noise either which is a bit of a bummer with diesel heating with it's ticking pump and fan and combustion roar and all I now need is a noisy fridge as well to complete the orchestra!

If it ain't broke don't fix it is a good attitude and, tempting as a gas free van is, I think perhaps to stick with the 3 way absorption fridge and gas convector with blown air heating and stick with gas cooking is better on balance.

Then to fit an underfloor refillable gas tank and an extra leisure battery would be probably my preferred route for 'in van' energy sources.

Archived