Further proof that anyone with a low paid job can buy a house.......

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2020-11-21 11:06 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-8969953/Where-buy-house-40k-Britain.html

One of them is only 3 grand dearer than what I paid 36 years ago for my first house ;-) .......

But it is near Barry's so that prolly explains why it so cheap :D ..........

LOL! The one in "Durham" is nowhere near Durham, its Horden. Worra s**thole. Most of them are north east which is nearly 50 miles from here.

Its true though, even in Darlo which is upmarket compared to the ones on your list you can still get a terraced house that needs work for £40k or maybe less. Tart it up and rent it out for £400-500 a month. My pal has loads of them (builder). In terms of yield its a pretty good area to buy to let, probably one of the best in the country. You wont get much for less than quarter of a million in the west end though but compared to what you will get in the south for the same money its a much better place to live and work as the wages are not that much different.

So you are right when it comes to the north. Its loads easier to get on the property ladder and your quality of life here on say the average uk wage will be much better than in the south. Our first property in the early 90s was on a green on a nice estate and cost £34000. We both had good jobs, mortgage was a piece of piss and we lived like kings. My colleagues in the south however doing similar jobs lived like paupers.

Barryd999 - 2020-11-21 11:42 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-8969953/Where-buy-house-40k-Britain.html

One of them is only 3 grand dearer than what I paid 36 years ago for my first house ;-) .......

LOL! The one in "Durham" is nowhere near Durham, its Horden. Worra s**thole. Most of them are north east which is nearly 50 miles from here.

Typical Pelmet in trying to push a daft narrative, doesn't even research the location and thick enough to think he can also use it to have a pop at someone who actually lives in the county. Not everyone lives in their wifes inherited house.....most folk spend a lifetime paying rent or struggle to pay off a mortgage.....those lucky enough to get one. *-)

Looking on Google maps it appears to be slightly east of Peterlee and fairly close to the coast. This is all ex-mining area and looking at it on 'images' is clear to see it's an area of deprivation which has had it's heart ripped out. It's among what were formerly staunch Labour heartlands which turned blue and voted Tory.....purely because of Brexit. So Brexiteers have one heck of a lot of delivering to do and instead of sneering at these areas, their time would be better spent figuring out how to turn them around and make them desirable......assuming Johnson and his cronies want to keep those votes. I don't think they do though because they've got their Brexit now and Johnson got the position he wanted. Does Johnson or any of his cabinet know where Horden is? Very much doubt it. They aren't interested.

This is an interesting article about Horden; https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/26/blighted-coalfields-village-life-pit-village-people-starving-horden-co-durham Walter Mitty Pelmet won't read it of course as he never reads anything that interferes with his cloud cuckoo fantasy world.

Can anyone with a low paid job buy a house? Brian posted some figures regarding that a couple of weeks ago. The derelict properties need some serious money throwing at them to make them livable, and given the prices 'ready to move into' are selling at, explains why property investors haven't bothered buying them.

The next point to consider is work. Is employment plentiful and within reasonable distance? You're going to need a car as my guess is the public transport infrastructure is poor to non-existent there. If young parents the other factor is schools and nurseries.

Much fuss was made about £1 pound houses Liverpool council sold recently. A tv documentary series was made off the back of it. It all seemed very appealing but was not all it appeared to be. Prospective buyers had to meet a criteria.....they had to be local, prove they had a minimum of £10k savings, material costs were estimated at £35k a house and they had to be able to fund that, and once the house had been renovated they had to live in it for five years before they could sell and move. Nobody could choose their house, the council decided that.

Bulletguy - 2020-11-21 1:37 PM

Typical Pelmet in trying to push a daft narrative, doesn't even research the location and thick enough to think he can also use it to have a pop at someone who actually lives in the county. Not everyone lives in their wifes inherited house.....most folk spend a lifetime paying rent or struggle to pay off a mortgage.....those lucky enough to get one. *-)

Looking on Google maps it appears to be slightly east of Peterlee and fairly close to the coast. This is all ex-mining area and looking at it on 'images' is clear to see it's an area of deprivation which has had it's heart ripped out. It's among what were formerly staunch Labour heartlands which turned blue and voted Tory.....purely because of Brexit. So Brexiteers have one heck of a lot of delivering to do and instead of sneering at these areas, their time would be better spent figuring out how to turn them around and make them desirable......assuming Johnson and his cronies want to keep those votes. I don't think they do though because they've got their Brexit now and Johnson got the position he wanted. Does Johnson or any of his cabinet know where Horden is? Very much doubt it. They aren't interested.

This is an interesting article about Horden; https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/26/blighted-coalfields-village-life-pit-village-people-starving-horden-co-durham Walter Mitty Pelmet won't read it of course as he never reads anything that interferes with his cloud cuckoo fantasy world.

Can anyone with a low paid job buy a house? Brian posted some figures regarding that a couple of weeks ago. The derelict properties need some serious money throwing at them to make them livable, and given the prices 'ready to move into' are selling at, explains why property investors haven't bothered buying them.

The next point to consider is work. Is employment plentiful and within reasonable distance? You're going to need a car as my guess is the public transport infrastructure is poor to non-existent there. If young parents the other factor is schools and nurseries.

Much fuss was made about £1 pound houses Liverpool council sold recently. A tv documentary series was made off the back of it. It all seemed very appealing but was not all it appeared to be. Prospective buyers had to meet a criteria.....they had to be local, prove they had a minimum of £10k savings, material costs were estimated at £35k a house and they had to be able to fund that, and once the house had been renovated they had to live in it for five years before they could sell and move. Nobody could choose their house, the council decided that.

I do have some sympathy for some of these run down places oop Norf voting for Brexit which is why I got so angry about it. Life was pretty s**t and here is posh boy Cameron promising more of the same if they voted to remain. Along comes jolly old Johnson and bloke down the pub (pretending to be one of them) Farage and promises them Unicorns and cake. What are they going to do? Sadly the reality is many of these places will just become even worse in a post Brexit world, especially in the North East. This is why I dislike Johnson so vehemently. A pack of lies purely to simply further his career, the consequences of which we are truly yet to feel but its coming, in spades.

During the depression in the early 80s I remember an entire street being up for sale in one of these old pit villages for £2k. I was about 16 at the time and actually tried to scrabble the money together to buy them in some hair brained scheme to make a few quid. I think they all got demolished in the end. I remember what it was like up there though then. Grim. I fear those days will seem like a walk in the park compared to whats coming.

Guest pelmetman

Its true though,

:D .........

Barryd999 - 2020-11-21 4:01 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-11-21 1:37 PM

I do have some sympathy for some of these run down places oop Norf voting for Brexit which is why I got so angry about it. Life was pretty s**t and here is posh boy Cameron promising more of the same if they voted to remain. Along comes jolly old Johnson and bloke down the pub (pretending to be one of them) Farage and promises them Unicorns and cake. What are they going to do? Sadly the reality is many of these places will just become even worse in a post Brexit world, especially in the North East. This is why I dislike Johnson so vehemently. A pack of lies purely to simply further his career, the consequences of which we are truly yet to feel but its coming, in spades.

During the depression in the early 80s I remember an entire street being up for sale in one of these old pit villages for £2k. I was about 16 at the time and actually tried to scrabble the money together to buy them in some hair brained scheme to make a few quid. I think they all got demolished in the end. I remember what it was like up there though then. Grim. I fear those days will seem like a walk in the park compared to whats coming.

Sun and Express 'readers' never were the brightest bulbs in the box so promises of unicorns and sunlit uplands appealed and they were easily fobbed off. Apart from one Asda superstore there doesn't appear to be much else in the way of employment. Maybe a few charity shops and poundstretcher stores so the chances of earning enough to pay a mortgage is virtually zero. Rentals no doubt account for a higher percentage. Quite how they live or on what exactly is another matter, those trying to live honestly will just about exist. The area looks ripe pickings for drug dealers.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-11-21 4:40 PM

When i buy a house i want something i can actually walk around in ,not a shed.

I get the feeling your not a natural fulltimer ;-) .........

We have been just as happy in our 30 year old camper as we have been in our houses B-) .......

I guess for some folk being happy is a work in progress ;-) ........

Don't leave it too late.........Or you might end up like Bullet or Joke52 8-) ......

pelmetman - 2020-11-21 5:28 PM

We have been just as happy in our 30 year old camper as we have been in our houses B-) .......

Don't leave it too late.........Or you might end up like Bullet or Joke52 8-) ......

Enjoying it somewhat at the moment , day 45. Probably another 60 to go.

Drying everything is difficult.

Would be better if in a warmer climate with less rain.

A house is long term.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-11-21 5:39 PM

pelmetman - 2020-11-21 5:28 PM

Enjoying it somewhat at the moment , day 45. Probably another 60 to go.

Drying everything is difficult.

Would be better if in a warmer climate with less rain.

A house is long term.

Well you have picked the wrong time to try it ;-) .......

Archived