Timberland Destiny any good?

rooster63

Going to look at a 2013 Timberland Destiny next week. Don't seem to be many around but the spec looks good and compared with other rear lounge models eg Warwick, Rhythm of a similar age looks a good buy at £36995. Anybody got any advice, opinions etc and what to look out for? I have looked at (on line) the new Autotrail Expedition 66 which is the same price but would have to cost in adding a tow bar and electric step and making enquiries from local dealers they have no real idea when they will be getting them in. Don't really want to wait until June.

Thanks

Have you had a look at a Vantage Sol as this is a rear lounge van. I have a Neo which is similar but a big longer and the build quality and after sales service are both exceptional - to which I can testify after owning mine for six years. If you check their webpage they have used vans for sale. Might be slightly more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

It’s apparent from this review

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-auto-trail-expedition-66-campervan/1024901

that the basic specification of a 2021 Auto-Trail Expedition 66 model would need to be augmented (and I’m not sure that a ‘black-only’ colour is such a great selling point). But at least the base vehicle is the latest Ducato X290 specification (Euro-6D 140PS motor) and all the bits would be new (tyres, brakes, etc.)

£37K for a 7-years-old panel-van-conversion based on a Ducato X250 seems like a lot to me, whoever built the thing originally, but rear-lounge PVCs are thin on the ground and adverts show that asking-prices for secondhand Destiny models are high (2009 example here)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-details/202011035735397?advertising-location=at_motorhomes

I notice that there is Timberland Owners Club forum, though I don’t know what’s on it.

http://timberlandownersclub.co.uk/Forum/index.htm

I drove part time for a local dealer a few years ago, mainly to and from shows. I drove a few Timberland vans in that time but have never owned one.

My overall impression of the brand was of a fairly good standard of finish, not unlike Auto Sleepers of a few years earlier in build standards, with some really nice design touches and a plush feel in many cases - maybe a bit OTT for my taste - but very expensive for the size and what they offered - and they rattled - but I suspect that most rattles could be identified and quelled quite easily over time!

All new and empty vans rattle but on a 100 miles run some get to you more than others - so drive it on some poor roads - not hard to find in the UK - before you decide.!

As you say not many rear lounge vans around, a 2012 Rhythm is only a £1000 cheaper but the Destiny has things like automatic selecting fridge, air suspension, diesel heating, electric awning to name but a few extras compared to the Rhythm. I can only find a 2008 Warwick and that is £33000

we bought one new from Timberland in 2011. Conversion was very well built. Any problems (leaky roof vent and Truma cutting out) were fixed promptly. Plus I liked the fact that you were dealing with the builder directly. We sold it in 2013 and bought a Burstner (also from Timberland). Would I buy one again? - Yes. However at £37k I would be looking at a brand new Autotrail Expedition even if it meant waiting until June, weighing up a 7 year old van now or a new van in Jun.

Archived