Jump Leads

Way2Go

Good morning,

We went om a spending spree yesterday in anticipation on our new delivery on Thursday.  On our list was a set of jump leads as we thought it might be of benefit to us or other people on site.

We were surprised at the variety and prices.  Having picked up the cheapest (as we really don't anticipate having to use them) we then saw a range 'by engine size' with the price reflecting the increased engine size.

The only difference we could see was that the cable got thicker as the engine size increased.  That seems logical but do we really need to pay <> £23 for jump leads?  The bog standard car set only only cost £3.99.

Our vehicle will be a 2297cc diesel

Sounds like one for the teckies if any of them are still talking to us :-) 

Engine size is reflected it the starting current required. The cable size required is therefore larger if more current is required. I once measure the starting current of an old car, 1400CC engine, initial kick about 250 amps falling to just over 100 amps. It was a petrol engine and I disconnected the coil so the engine would not start. BUT Diesel engines have a compression ratio of nearly double that of a petrol engine so starting currents will be significanlty more for a diesel. Also jump leads designed for commercial vehicles would be expected to be more durable as well. So yes, its logical.

Quality commercial jump leads would use welding cable and clips on the end of the type found on welding equipment. However micky mouse jump leads are better than none but don,t be supprised if you see the plastic melt off the cables when you are jump starting an Antar !

Price? - As much as the retailer can get away with.

Does that put things in perspective?

Although I certainly am no expert on this particular problem of jump leads, I do remember an article I read once , that jump leads can damage the alternator of the donor vehicle. Perhaps this problem is now corrected on modern alternators, something to do with the diodes I think. Is this true anyone ? chas

mark lambert - 2007-03-25 9:23 AM . . . but you will then have a good set of leads that you can lend someone else when there vehicle wont start, if your that way inclined.

Yes, that was the intention Mark.  Either for us to be jumped (ohh er mrs) or to help a fellow camper in trouble.  We have provided such support on a few occasions when we were caravanning.  Just seems a nice thing to do really.

Guest starspirit

Length, as ever, is important too because it is not always easy to get recalcitrant 3 tonne vehicles with a flat battery to a convenient point.

I made my jump leads for big diesel engined fishing boat use about 30 years ago. I bought 20 feet each of red and black heavy duty battery cable and four heavy welding clamps from a commercial motor factor and bolted and soldered the leads to the clamps.

The weak point of any jump leads are the terminals, both battery to clamp and clamp to lead, so all good solid connections are important. Check for any heat during use as heat means resistance and thereby reduced current transmission.

They don't often see daylight these days but have been stalwart companions many times over the years and will never wear out or melt or fail to work but they can be a bit of a handful due to the weight and nature of the heavy duty cable.

Some good tips there.

I've gone a search on Google and eBay and are finding it difficult to compare like with like.

Some talk about amps, some talk about thickness in mm2, all of them seem to be called heavy duty.

I've come to the conclusion I'll propably need Light Commercial <>25mm cables in the reagion of <>300amps at least 3m long if not longer.

I've found in the past the best procedure is to connect the leads and rev the donor vehicle for some time before even trying to start vehicle, the longer the better as you will be charging the dead battery which will assist in the starting.

However always be very very carefull when disconnecting the leads as I have seen many a battery explode due to the gases generated igniting from a spark from disconnecting the lead.

regards Pat

Hi W2G,

I have a Car to Car battery charger/jump lead similar to this http://tinyurl.com/3c86lz also http://tinyurl.com/2jzmx7 . We also have a solar panel charging the leisure battery. We are able to top up the car battery from the leisure battery using this type of gadget.

The gadget only outputs around two amps to the 'depleted' battery, so it does take some time before you are able to start the target vehicle, although the gadget instructions, advises running the engine of the donor vehicle for 5 mins before attempting to start the target vehicle.

I have only used it to charge my vehicle battery, and usually leave it connected for 5 to10 daylight hours when we have used the vehicle battery for leisure purposes the night before.

Regards Terry

Way2Go - 2007-03-25 11:29 AM

Some good tips there.

I've gone a search on Google and eBay and are finding it difficult to compare like with like.

Some talk about amps, some talk about thickness in mm2, all of them seem to be called heavy duty.

I've come to the conclusion I'll propably need Light Commercial <>25mm cables in the reagion of <>300amps at least 3m long if not longer.

I agree, 25mmsq is a good balance between weight and usefullness. 3M is about the minimum length you can get away with, providing the vehicle with the flat battery is not with its nose in a corner. Welding cable uses a much higher temperature rated insulation that the cheaper PVC.My cables are 35 mm sq as I already had the cable. But a tad cumbersome.C.

Phew!!  After a lot of searching I've managed to get a set of jump leads/booster cables on eBay.  Taken a lot of time and a lot of learning so MANY thanks to all contributors to this thread.  Thank you.

Out of intereset I've bought:-

"Booster cables in carry case for petrol engines up to 5000cc, diesel engines up to 3500cc.  3.5m length, 25mm heavy duty copper cables with tough insulated colour coded clamps.”

Guest starspirit

So you just jumped in and charged ahead with that leading purchase and when you clamp your mitts on the current items I hope they pass the acid test and your little eyes will light up with pleasure and get you started on a long and happy connection together.

Or summat?

Hi Way2Go

Did you not think of buying a battery jump starter instead of jump leads

the advantages are you can use it as a temp. battery for any twelve volt systems most of them have a 900amp boost and you would also have a electric commpresser for your tyres and a small twelve volt light can be charged by mains or your cigar plug whilst driving don't take up much room and you can get them for about twenty five quid from Aldi or Lidl *-)

tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2007-03-25 7:13 PM Hi Way2Go Did you not think of buying a battery jump starter instead of jump leads . . . .

GO AWAY!!!

Only joking.  Thanks for the input and I think I'll check that way out.  I wasn't sure how well they performed and how much space they took up.

I think it's also a case of "Umm, need to start the camper, need jump leads".  But at least we won't have a "Wireless!!".

I'll check it out, thanks ;-)

Guest peter
chas - 2007-03-25 9:20 AM

Although I certainly am no expert on this particular problem of jump leads, I do remember an article I read once , that jump leads can damage the alternator of the donor vehicle. Perhaps this problem is now corrected on modern alternators, something to do with the diodes I think. Is this true anyone ? chas

Only if you connect them the wrong way round. Reverse polarity = new alternator.

Just to put my twopeneth worth in, for those who don't know, when connecting jump leads its best to connect each in turn, i.e. conect black lead to earth on one vehicle then to earth of other, then connect red to live on each in turn

Colin,

I always prefer to connect the red lead 1st. My thought is if I connect the black 1st (both ends) and drop the red clip it only has to touch any bit of metal and oops!

Doing red 1st, and then black means if I drop a clip on the black lead it will only generate a small spark.

Jon.

Archived