John Shirley Freight Forwarders - Dover

Bulletguy

Interesting interview on LBC with John Shirley who owns an international freight forwarding company at Dover explaining how international hauliers are reluctant to send trucks here after Christmas due to expected delays with processing Customs documentation and companies are struggling to get drivers prepared to sit in a queue they are not going to be paid for. 99% of trucks delivering goods into and out of UK are foreign company owned. So the outlook is bleak.

Guest pelmetman

Given that the EU like us will be recovering from mass unemplyment caused by the Chinky Flu for the next couple of years :-| ..........

I doubt they'll be any problem finding drivers ;-) .........

Not so. If you listen to the youtube interview which of course you wont have there is a shortage of drivers in Europe. Drivers do not get paid to sit in Lorry parks in Kent for days on end so what are they going to do?

There is a solution of course. Just pay them to sit in the lorry parks in Kent for days on end. Money talks. Brexit will it seems knock the Covid spaffing into a cocked hat. Of course in order to tempt the lorry drivers to put up with the long delays and being parked up for days they will have to stop paying them per KM and pay them for doing nothing. That cost will have to be passed on to the British consumers. I wonder who has stockpiled the most. Brexiteers or Remainers. Actually I dont wonder that, its obvious.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-04 12:40 PM

Not so. If you listen to the youtube interview which of course you wont have there is a shortage of drivers in Europe. Drivers do not get paid to sit in Lorry parks in Kent for days on end so what are they going to do?

There is a solution of course. Just pay them to sit in the lorry parks in Kent for days on end. Money talks. Brexit will it seems knock the Covid spaffing into a cocked hat. Of course in order to tempt the lorry drivers to put up with the long delays and being parked up for days they will have to stop paying them per KM and pay them for doing nothing. That cost will have to be passed on to the British consumers. I wonder who has stockpiled the most. Brexiteers or Remainers. Actually I dont wonder that, its obvious.

Not just the salary of the drivers is the issue.

Far higher is the lack of revenues due to lorries stuck in parkings.

No driving time = no kilometers = no revenue.

mtravel - 2020-12-04 11:56 AM

Higher still is the cost of perishable food deteriorating, and highest of all is probably car production lines stopped waiting for parts.

Big lorry parks are not a solution because if we have 200 lorries an hour and France will only process 100 the lorry park will never be big enough.

France is a transit country, so most of the lorries coming through Calais are nothing to do with them. They are coming from countries outside France and going to England.

It costs France something to process them, and costs France nothing to delay them

Its very easy for France to be difficult because they have the upper hand and they know it.

They can paralyse our economy and it won't cost them a thing.

In fact it will probably benefit them by our factories moving there.

And if Brexiteers have been difficult with them who can blame them.

I am just staggered by the ignorance of Brexiteers who say these are foreign lorries so its their problem.

John52 - 2020-12-04 1:20 PM

... highest of all is probably car production lines stopped waiting for parts.

I am just staggered by the ignorance of Brexiteers who say these are foreign lorries so its their problem ....

Maybe they are right, it could be an EU problem.

German Rolls Royce and Bentley, Indian Range Rover and Jaguar, Italian Aston Martin and Morgan could have problems.

mtravel - 2020-12-04 12:39 PM

John52 - 2020-12-04 1:20 PM

... highest of all is probably car production lines stopped waiting for parts.

I am just staggered by the ignorance of Brexiteers who say these are foreign lorries so its their problem ....

Maybe they are right, it could be an EU problem.

German Rolls Royce and Bentley, Indian Range Rover and Jaguar, Italian Aston Martin and Morgan could have problems.

How would delaying their deliveries affect the French *-)

Even with a deal, if its the deal thats been suggested it wont make much difference without retaining Customs Union and Single Market. Im just wondering how Johnson plans to square this with Joe Public. Its the 11th hour and unless all these hauliers, customs officials and "experts" are making it up this chaos is about to become a reality. Price hikes and shortages are about to become a reality. Johnson cant stand not being popular. Blaming the EU wont work because it wasnt the EU that decided to Brexit. What is he going to do? Start subsidising supermarkets and paying off foreign hauliers? Actually i wouldnt put it past him.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-04 11:40 AM

Not so. If you listen to the youtube interview which of course you wont have there is a shortage of drivers in Europe. Drivers do not get paid to sit in Lorry parks in Kent for days on end.

There is a solution of course. Just pay them to sit in the lorry parks in Kent for days on end. That cost will have to be passed on to the British consumers.

As you know Pelmet is incapable of reading anything beyond a tweet or one line sentence, i've edited your post down to simply it for him.

There isn't actually a shortage of drivers, there are plenty.....but none prepared to sit parked up in a truck earning nothing. 62% of UK loads already booked for January have no driver at all where normally they would all have drivers assigned.

You're right about the solution the consequences of which is what Pelmet typically fails to grasp as he sees the absence of EU trucks (in UK) as a Brexit success where the reality is it's another major Brexit fail. Costs to hauliers will increase so the burden of that will simply be passed on to us the consumer. On Planet Pelmet he'll no doubt manage to excuse price increases as a Brexit success. *-)

John52 - 2020-12-04 12:20 PM

mtravel - 2020-12-04 11:56 AM

Higher still is the cost of perishable food deteriorating, and highest of all is probably car production lines stopped waiting for parts.

I am just staggered by the ignorance of Brexiteers who say these are foreign lorries so its their problem.

Perishable foods certainly is a problem as there's a limited amount of time they can be in refrigerated trucks before it becomes unsaleable. Major car production ie, Honda and Ford solved it by leaving UK for a sensible country where they can continue production. I'm surprised Nissan is still hanging by a thread as it's very late in the day.

The ignorance doesn't surprise me. They're bats enough to think less EU plated trucks in UK is a Brexit success. *-)

Bulletguy - 2020-12-04 2:34 PM

Not so. If you listen to the youtube interview which of course you wont have there is a shortage of drivers in Europe. Drivers do not get paid to sit in Lorry parks in Kent for days on end.

There is a solution of course. Just pay them to sit in the lorry parks in Kent for days on end. That cost will have to be passed on to the British consumers.

As you know Pelmet is incapable of reading anything beyond a tweet or one line sentence, i've edited your post down to simply it for him.

There isn't actually a shortage of drivers, there are plenty.....but none prepared to sit parked up in a truck earning nothing. 62% of UK loads already booked for January have no driver at all where normally they would all have drivers assigned.

You're right about the solution the consequences of which is what Pelmet typically fails to grasp as he sees the absence of EU trucks (in UK) as a Brexit success where the reality is it's another major Brexit fail. Costs to hauliers will increase so the burden of that will simply be passed on to us the consumer. On Planet Pelmet he'll no doubt manage to excuse price increases as a Brexit success. *-)

I think there is a shortage of drivers within the EU mainland. The guy in the interview mentioned it. That is part of the problem. If they feel they are getting jobs to the UK that are not paying properly as they are stuck for days on end they will just naff off and do work internally. However as said a solution will have to be found before that happens and there is only one solution. Stop paying them per KM and pay them to stay a few days in queues and on Farages Garages. They wont mind then but the British Consumer will. This will effect the price and availability of everything from medicines, to car parts to food.

Of course its another reason why automotive or any business that relies on just in time frictionless trade will likely move their business outside of the UK. Anything that cant will just have to hike the prices.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-04 4:12 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-12-04 2:34 PM

I think there is a shortage of drivers within the EU mainland. The guy in the interview mentioned it. That is part of the problem. If they feel they are getting jobs to the UK that are not paying properly as they are stuck for days on end they will just naff off and do work internally. However as said a solution will have to be found before that happens and there is only one solution. Stop paying them per KM and pay them to stay a few days in queues and on Farages Garages. They wont mind then but the British Consumer will. This will effect the price and availability of everything from medicines, to car parts to food.

Of course its another reason why automotive or any business that relies on just in time frictionless trade will likely move their business outside of the UK. Anything that cant will just have to hike the prices.

How I understood him from what he was saying is there would be a shortage of drivers prepared to do UK runs, they'd just find an employer who deals only within European countries, and there's plenty of those to choose from. UK wanted to become a third country but is now fast heading for a banana state basket case as it cuts itself off from civilisation. Price increases on everything are a certainty. Why they persist in this madness of the biggest case of mass self harm simply beggars belief. :-|

A couple of interesting 'stats' off John Shirley yesterday;

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-12-04 6:21 PM

pelmetman - 2020-12-04 5:58 PM

Looks like Loser Bloater season has arrived :D ...........

Do you have a point to raise on the thread subject.....or just immature inane remarks?

Just fishing :D .........

Do you have a point to raise on the thread subject.....or just immature inane remarks?

He has no answers, none of the Brexiteers have. With the massive increase in traffic since we last had customs checks in the early 90s its off the scale now in what would be required to deal with it all. Brexiteers will either remain silent on all of this or like a child who knows he has messed up will just act all silly and throw in a few insults.

Its so much of a monumental issue I cant see how a total border meltdown can be avoided without just continuing as we are. Nothing is ready.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-12-04 6:51 PM

He has no answers, none of the Brexiteers have. With the massive increase in traffic since we last had customs checks in the early 90s its off the scale now in what would be required to deal with it all. Brexiteers will either remain silent on all of this or like a child who knows he has messed up will just act all silly and throw in a few insults.

Its so much of a monumental issue I cant see how a total border meltdown can be avoided without just continuing as we are. Nothing is ready.

"Massive increase in traffic" ........Which way? ;-) .......

Coz if I recall correctly.......we have been selling less and less to the EU..... and they have been selling us more and more...... year on year for quite a while now >:-) .......

You'll have to develope a taste for British Piss water instead of Belgium Piss water (lol) (lol) (lol) ......

The mature adult ones tend to remain silent as I think the harsh reality of what they've done has begun to hit home, the rest continue making silly remarks as though it's all a big joke.

pelmetman - 2020-12-04 7:09 PM

"Massive increase in traffic" ........Which way? ;-) ........

If only you spent a little time listening to what John Shirley explains in the opening link and bothered to read other links i've posted, you'd have an understanding of the thread subject and wouldn't even be asking that question. Until you do that, debating it with you is pointless as you haven't a clue what you're talking about so just keep making daft comments.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-12-04 7:14 PM

The mature adult ones tend to remain silent as I think the harsh reality of what they've done has begun to hit home, the rest continue making silly remarks as though it's all a big joke.

I doubt you qualify as a mature adult Bullet Liar (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Or any of us that frequent CB :D .........

This report is from two years ago yet how prophetic it's turning out to be. But listen to what Steve Applebee has to say regards staffing requirements, training and look at the customs clearance required for ONE truck.....as from next year it will be EVERY truck;

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-12-05 8:54 PM

Turns out John Shirley has had enough of batty Brexit Britain and has his house on the market......but struggling to sell as even his estate agent went bust. :-|

Excellent news :D .........

Maybe you LOSERS should follow his example ;-) .........

You still have 25 days to pack your bags >:-) ..........

Archived