3D Printing Plastic Side Door Sill Cover

_Chris

I've tried to buy one of these without success, both new and secondhand, and having read the interesting thread on the printing of an Omnistor awning end cap wondered if anyone could advise on the feasibility of this?

I would need to create an accurate 3D image in order to get quotes and the material itself would need to be durable.

I've a feeling it could be quite difficult and I'm not too bothered if it proves to be impractical.

(?)

1007577606_Plasticsidedoorstep_small.jpg.8b26bc6bcb7112f9aef6655f104cf79f.jpg

I've not followed that thread, but the part you want looks to be bigger than what could be printed on a hobbyist m/c, a friend of mine does 3d printing for one of my customers, but he would not be able to make something that size, but it's entirely doable, the only thing would be cost.

I took a note of a company doing 3d printing some time back, I can't recall why, and I have no idea of the costs, https://www.shapeways.com/

Chris

The cost of 3D printing the complete plastic cover would be eye-wateringly expensive.

Can't you fit (say) aluminium or stainless-steeel sheeting across the full width of the damaged cover’s front edge? That should look tidy if you glued the metal in place, shouldn’t be too difficult to do and shouldn’t cost the Earth. The sill of my Rapido’s habitation-area entrance doorway is protected from ‘scuffing’ by thinnish chequer-plate having been bent over it and that looks fine.

The earlier forum thread relating to 3D-printing an awning end-cap was this one.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Omnistor-Awning-5000-left-hand-end-cap/56854/

Can’t you fill with maybe a piece of wood glued into place, shaped and painted and I use very tiderly fit a piece of a carpet sample held in place with super strong Velcro.

Stops loads of dirt entering the cab area and it looks ok.

I’ve done this on both steps and on the floor drivers and passengers side.

3 years down the line and my carpets look like new.

Hi Chris -

I have Zero knowledge of plastic printing.. However, having done this type of cover before, Derek's suggestion of aluminium cover sounds a better/permanent way forward -

I would start by cutting out a Cardboard Template of the plastic step cover replicating the same exact shape/depth/width starting full width from the lower OUTER edge (looks 30mm 'ish' deep), then folded 90 degrees, cutting out the cardboard to the same curved side shapes to fit atop the broken plastic cover and over the broken area up to the edge (not over) of the 1st moulded raised ridge in from 90 degree fold (guess 25mm 'ish' from fold?) THEN visiting a local 'Box Panel Van or Horse Box' Body Shop who keep a range of aluminium sheet & angle sizes ! By having a template with you it would be very easy for you to decide thickness/ finish, and for them to cut and fold a piece of aluminium (as on Derek's MH) from stock to shape (exact or rough, your choice) of your template. and to 'Nibble Out' the curved areas should you prefer not to do it yourself ?

Then (if it was MY problem), I would be fitting the new step cover (plastic area Roughed Up) over the damaged area with either Epoxy Resin or PU Glue this will produce a Practical and Very Professional Finish, with a guarantee of no further problem !!!

Hope this helps...

Dave Adams

I assume Autosleeper directly are unable to help.

Removal of the step tray, reinforcing the underside with a metal angle section & then building up with epoxy resin in layers, would IMO be the way forward, adding a little black paint to the final layer & sanding back to profile.

Making small "v"'s in the edges of the break will help the epoxy resin bond, rather than straight edges.

I notice that Screwfix currently has aluminium chequer plate angle (1000MM X 23.5MM X 23.5MM) as a clearance offer for £6.99

Alternatively, this ebay advert for 2.0mm-thick aluminium chequer plate folded angle would allow the length and profile-width of the material to be specified by the buyer. For example, a 500MM length of 30MM x 30MM plate would cost £6.71 (with free ecomomy delivery).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0mm-Aluminium-Chequer-Plate-Folded-Angle-Corner-Protector-/112166014466

Archived