Fiat Ducato Wheel bolts

Tanskavan

Hi Tony-Sorry cant help you on this one, but because of your post title I would ask anyone out there what they think of the Ducato idea of the plastic wheel covers that actualy fit behind the wheel bolts. My idea of the shoulder of the wheel bolt tighting up to solid metal of the wheel seems not to apply . I personaly dont like the idea of wheel bolts tighting up to soft plastic, as any one thought along these lines ? I have not lost a wheel yet but may take these cosmetic wheel trims off. chas

Re torque for alloy wheels, try the Fiat manual.  I seem to remember something of the kind being in there.

Re the wheel trims, they don't get between the bolt shoulder and the wheel centre at all.  They clip behind the shoulder at the base of the bolt, where it thickens at the bevel, and are held in place by the thickening, but the bolt still tightens metal to metal onto the wheel.  If you remove a wheel, or even a nut, you'll see what I mean.

Tony,

What I can tell you is...

For steel wheels it is as follows..

15 inch wheels M14 bolts 160Nm 118 lbs.ft

16 inch wheels M16 bolts 180 Nm. 133 lbs.ft

As to being the same for alloy wheels I do not have listed on my data sheet but will be about the same.

Hope that helps.

J.

Edit - spelling!!

chas - 2007-03-26 10:31 AM

Hi Tony-Sorry cant help you on this one, but because of your post title I would ask anyone out there what they think of the Ducato idea of the plastic wheel covers that actualy fit behind the wheel bolts. My idea of the shoulder of the wheel bolt tighting up to solid metal of the wheel seems not to apply . I personaly dont like the idea of wheel bolts tighting up to soft plastic, as any one thought along these lines ? I have not lost a wheel yet but may take these cosmetic wheel trims off. chas

Hi Chas, the bolts to not really tighten up onto the plastic, they just sort of rest on it to locate the covers. It is better than having covers that clip on and can easily get knocked off or nicked. Rest assured it is metal to metal seating for the bolts.

J.

Tanskavan - 2007-03-26 7:30 PM well fancy that! you must have got an extra page in your manual.....mine goes from 1-236 ....not a mention of torque settings in there!

Now, now!  No need for the heavy hand of irony!  Our manual is temporarily unavailable at present, but have you also checked the van converters manual?  Ours is a Burstner, and I know I read that info somewhere in the van docs. 

Who fitted the wheels?  It was their job to ensure you had the instructions, so a phone call may get you an answer.  It will be higher than for steel wheels, though.

Archived