HMRC customs officer staffing

Bulletguy

HMRC needed 3000 - 5000 new customs officers and government had pledged to recruit that number to cope with increased demand on customs procedures and border checks after Brexit.

But in the FOUR YEARS following the referendum just 16 new customs officers have been recruited to HMRC. *-)

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/brexit-governments-irresponsible-approach-as-only-16-extra-staff-added-to-hmrc-ranks/13/12/

John52 - 2020-12-20 7:47 PM

I'm afraid its far worse than that. Because on top of Brexit, BoJo's Pooper Scoopers (AKA HMRC) are charged with stemming the tide of furlough fraud, and pandemic loan fraud. Google 'A giant bonfire of taxpayers money' to bypass FT paywall

Customs clearance officers aren't responsible for that though John, it's not even their dept! The op linked to a report about government pledging to recruit between 3,000 and 5,000 extra customs officials to cope with increased demand on customs procedures and border checks after Brexit........yet recruited just 16.

Our borders are not prepared as government failed to recruit the necessary staff. Customs either allow all trucks to flow through seamlessly as per SM, or the country closes down. Simple as that.

Bulletguy - 2020-12-20 8:09 PM

I'm afraid its far worse than that. Because on top of Brexit, BoJo's Pooper Scoopers (AKA HMRC) are charged with stemming the tide of furlough fraud, and pandemic loan fraud. Google 'A giant bonfire of taxpayers money' to bypass FT paywall

Customs clearance officers aren't responsible for that though John, it's not even their dept! The op linked to a report about government pledging to recruit between 3,000 and 5,000 extra customs officials to cope with increased demand on customs procedures and border checks after Brexit........yet recruited just 16.

Our borders are not prepared as government failed to recruit the necessary staff. Customs either allow all trucks to flow through seamlessly as per SM, or the country closes down. Simple as that.

I think that was always the plan. I am pretty sure Chris Grayling or Raab C Brexit is on record for saying as much some time ago. So much for taking back control of our borders then.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-20 10:35 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-12-20 8:09 PM

I think that was always the plan. I am pretty sure Chris Grayling or Raab C Brexit is on record for saying as much some time ago. So much for taking back control of our borders then.

Then government should have followed procedure properly and given written confirmation of that to all UK ports and borders for their officers. Truth is Barry they haven't got "a plan" and never have had since June 2016. They've simply fudged and fumbled their way through the past four years relying on silly soundbites and jingoistic nonsense to keep the Brexit headbangers excited instead of sorting out the mess they've made. Worst decision ever after Brexit was handing position of PM to Johnson......and even some prominent Tories warned against that and they were right. Johnson can't be trusted to run a tap let alone a damn country.

Christmas tips are a bit of a sore subject for me.

I heard you shouldn't tip the bin men as its a different crew Christmas collection to the regular one the rest of the year.

I was away, and they didn't empty my bin as they said it was 'too heavy' >:-(

... after my neighbour, an 86 year old lady, had wheeled it 40 metres to the end of the drive for me >:-(

John52 - 2020-12-21 2:49 PM

Christmas tips are a bit of a sore subject for me.

I heard you shouldn't tip the bin men as its a different crew Christmas collection to the regular one the rest of the year.

I was away, and they didn't empty my bin as they said it was 'too heavy' >:-(

... after my neighbour, an 86 year old lady, had wheeled it 40 metres to the end of the drive for me >:-(

Wonder what was in ya bin ???

Archived