Pipe Chaffing and Oil Filler Continued.

Brambles

Hi.

Starting a new thread after discussion with Icelander to highlight a pipe he had chaffing on his engine.

The Red arrow highlights the Pipe in question and Icelander has said it was indeed tight and has repositioned it.

Now, also discussed was the brake vacuum servo pipe pointed out in Blue where it passes under the Brake reservoir and master cylinder.

Mine is positioned much lower than this and either modifications have taken place and pipe is clipped to reservoir, picture is misleading or possibly it needs repositioning. I am concerned with vibrationof teh engine the pipe is being stressed or could be chaffed and wear through after a long period of time.

The question is where is it really supposed to be? I had a recall late 2003 and the check was for the routing of this pipe. The fitter told me it was fine after a very quick look see, but did not ellaborate. Partly because I was so annoyed having driven 24 miles to be told it was OK and vehicle had been in day before for something else recall related, I did not ask more details.

Anyway, Is there a clip on later versions to hold pipe. Is Icelaner's chaffing, or is the pic an illusion?

1999040949_P3120032(400x300).jpg.ac293af2be9f6b523fab4076f45daa5a.jpg

Now that is a very good point.

The pic is a Fiat Ducato 2002on 2.0JTD model. built 2005/06 I believe.

Have to ask Icelander for exact details as it is his Motorhome.

Jon.

EDIT, I would completely rewrite the post with the pic, but it won't let me.

Sorry once again.

Fiat 2005 2.0 JTd

Will take another photo lower down but have to wait till The Doc. comes home to help me transfer the image because I know not how.

Had a quick look and the stiff plastic pipe is situated / held in a plastic bracket below the brake fluid tank. Should be alright

I should have taken a pic of the battery as well as I have just noticed the breather pipe is missing from that. Thanks to the other thread I thought I would check both batteries.

Thanks for your observance and time Brambles

Hi Icelander,

If it is clipped that is a later mod. and wil be fine. Is the clip part of the reservoir or a seperate clip.

Re vent pipe, I do not think Fiat fit vent pipes to the engine battery. It does not really need it because there is plenty ventilation around engine bay and there is a plastic battery tray insert to catch spills from the vent or water that may get splashed on top of battery and pick up any acid.

Jon.

Brambles

Just peered out the window as bonnet still up and yes clip is attched to bottom of plastic brake fluid tank.

I thought maybe I should fit a bit of pipe to the battery because maybe under emergency stop (uncontrolled dog running out into road) perhaps fluid could drip onto battery metal tray and start the dreaded process.

There is a nipple (am I going off topic) for the pipe

Thanks for your help.

Icelander,

Under eergency stopd etc acid will not splash out. The vents are designed so acid gets trapped and runs back into cells. Even if battery is paleaces on its side for a short while acid wil not run out (or shouldn't).

However, I prefer a pipe attached even though Fiat think it is obviousy not needed. reason being as battery ages and if gassing occurs you can get the occassional drip of acid. Only takes one drip getting imto a steel seam and rust will start. I have not fitted a pipe to mine yet and not something you should worry about really.

J.

P.S. I started this thread and I say you are welcome to go off topic.

Don't know if the Fiat is the same as the Peugeot Boxer when it comes to the battery situation but on ours there is a plastic tray beneath the battery and at the rear of the tray there is a hole that has a pipe attached that is routed below the tray and exits below the engine compartment beneath the crossmember and inner wing. (I only found out when I removed the battery and the plastic tray to re-paint the metal tray and inner wing after flooding from the plastic trim below windscreen before I fitted modification tube to stop water collecting, known mod!!)

Bas

Archived