Brexit and dog food

HarveyHeaven

No dog food can be taken across the border to the EU. Does anyone use kibble dog food which is available in France and Spain. We currently use Natures Menu True Instinct but I think we will not be allowed to take this with us when we go to Europe. What are other folk doing about this yet another major Brexit kick!!!

My understanding is that you can take up to 2kg of petfood provided it is needed for medical reasons for your pet. It must be food which does not require refrigeration. If your pet doesn't need it for medical purposes then you need to restock sometime after arriving. Not sure how this affects 26 hours on a ferry to Spain, guess the pet just goes hungry. Every one will have to decide if giving their pet an alternative food is too big a price to pay for travelling abroad and something they couldn't possibly contemplate and they will need to stay in the UK secure in the knowledge their pet is happy. I have a dog, I voted to remain, however, it doesn't feel like a 'major Brexit kick' to me, however, an inconvenience I would have preferred not to worry about when we have had it so easy.

Good solution - reduces dog's environmental impact, which is on average same as a SUV!!

Easily debunked.

Average 13kg dog co2 emissions over 13 year life = 8.2 tonnes

Average electric vehicle life cycle co2 emissions over 150,000 miles = 19 tonnes

Average petrol vehicle = 24.tonnes

SUV is 30% worse than average petrol

Sources

Link to Google

Link to Google

(Edited - Links shortened to fit page width - Keithl)

Simple solution, get your dog used to eating any dog food. In all my life and all the dogs, I don't think I ever bought the same dog food twice in a row. From the cheapest to most expensive, they've eaten everything. Just pick up whatever you find in the first available shop.

Hi Colin, thank you, I'm looking into this. I can get her usual food in Spain but not in Fraance so I may well introduce her to Vegan food about 2 weeks before we go then put her back on her usual once we get to Spain. It would be good if she could manage both vegan and traditional.

HarveyHeaven - 2021-01-14 10:07 AM

Spirou, thank you for your comments. That's not how we do things in our family, though, I will be introducing her to a vegan option two weeks before we go, whenever that will be?????

Sounds a sensible solution, 'Not how we do things in our family' obviously means that can't make any bookings until a few days before you want to go just in case your pet doesn't like the vegan food or you accept you will lose all your money if it doesn't, not sure you can insure against a pet going off its food(?). Spirou seems to have it sorted from day one, ours refuses to eat other food for a meal or two and then something really strange happens, it gets hungry and eats.

HarveyHeaven - 2021-01-14 10:05 AM

Hi Colin, thank you, I'm looking into this.

Our Lucerne used to go to Spillers, it always amused me that people where buying vegan dog food, but I was shooting the pests. If pulled up I suspect you might need to point out to customs that is is vegan, so double check the ingredients.

Hi Colin,

I will make sure I check the ingredients.

I have ordered some vegan dog treats for her and 2kg of vegan dog food. If she likes it I will eventually move her on to Vegan dog food so that we don't have this hassle every time we go to Europe. We are in the very happy position of having EU passports so are free to move in and around Europe as normal. We have a few kilos of Nature's Menu to get through first before we're ready to move over.

Archived