Gas regulator(s)

Libby2017

Derek Uzzell - 2021-01-17 2:55 PM

The end result was a regulator on the Le Cube bottle with a hose leading to the bulkhead-mounted regulator and (somewhat surprisingly) the system apprently worked OK.

Purely for academic debate and I stress not something I would do or endorse, but IMO using a dual stage 30mbar regulator downstream of a 27mbar regulator, ought to "work", or more rightly, cause no real issue*.

Clearly the bulkhead regulator's, first stage of regulation will be a wide open through route as it seeks only to react to a very much greater intermediate pressure, that here can't exist. The second stage will be seeking to act at 30mbar but is only going to see 27mbar so, again it will not try to regulate the output either.

* The possible issue might be inadequacy of the porting to shift enough gas flow, as its first stage sizing will only be to port still quite compressed gas.

Therefore, on reflection it "working", in so far as it not bothering to get involved, does not surprise me.

However. LPG is potentially dangerous stuff and a case where adoption of standard practices only should be promoted, the more so for its use in general "user" applications.

Alanb - 2021-01-17 1:44 PM...........................

Is what the OP has in his MH, simply a butane adapter similar to that detailed here. At first look the circular shape of the adaptor suggests "regulator". Hence some possible confusion.

Also as we are discussing the external thread of a 4.8kg butane bottle, could it not be that the leak is due to a faulty washer?

Alan

I think both are possible Alan, but as none of us can be certain what is actually there, and as Kevin was puzzled by what he found, I think his best option at present is to get the system professionally checked so that the next intervention is to put right whatever is wrong. Gas isn't that complicated, but getting it wrong can prove "exciting" if not actually hazardous.

Ocsid - 2021-01-17 4:05 PM

Purely for academic debate and I stress not something I would do or endorse, but IMO using a dual stage 30mbar regulator downstream of a 27mbar regulator, ought to "work", or more rightly, cause no real issue*...

In the 1st link I provided earlier, after the Le Cube bottle and two regulators ‘in series’ issue came to light, forum-member “coach200’ commented

"I had problems with this arrangement of 2 regulators in line as they are not designed to operate in this way. I have a Truma blown air heating system and the pressure was too low. If I remember rightly the hob rings jets were also smaller than they should be. The reason I ended up with 2 regulators was that I already had the Le Cube from a previous van. If you do have problems you can get round this by changing the regulator on the bottle for a valve that only opens and closes without regulating the pressure. You can get these off the internet. Or do away with the fixed one. If your gas system seems to be working ok with more than 1 item turned on you may be alright but be prepared for the worst.

This is what happened with the Laika owner I mentioned - a low demand gas appliance would run OK, but high demand appliances would not.

The other thing was that the motorcaravanner who had bought a Le Cube bottle in France was holidaying there in mid-June, so gas heating is unlikely to have been in use.

I think all is correct what Brian Said. Only one first stage regulator set at 30 mBAR. Including a relief to ATM and shutoff in case of failure to avoid the full bottle pressure in the motor home.However your BG station in your street underground or cabin has always TWO regulators, valve shut off trip and Relief valve to ATM. And inlet shut-Off valve manual. The two regulators are called Active And Monitor. If active fails and MUST be fail in open position the Monitor takes over in a somewhat higher outlet pressure. Regulators can be fail open or fail close.

Historically, French-registered leisure-vehicles had a type of ‘dual regulator’ system when propane gas was used.

This system involved a “pré-détendeur de sécurité” (arrowed in image attached below) where the pressure of the propane gas (up to 20bar) leaving the gas bottle was first regulated to 1.5bar, then down to 30mbar by a secondary regulating stage.

Nowadays French-made motothomes just have a single 30mbar bulkhead-mounted regulator, usually a Truma-branded one.

regulator.jpg.a0b4c4de05afefa9059121122f9ee65d.jpg

I would definately go for renewal of the whole set up.

As already stated, 2 regulators will be part of the problem & is obviously a Heath Robinson bodge job.

Unless the hoses are braided stainless steel, they have a limited life of 5 years anyway & the date when they should be replaced should be printed on the hoses.

Regulators & hoses are not expensive & can be done in a very short time by a Gas competent person. Safety first.

Without seeing the current iinstallation of Kevin’s 2006 Burstner motorhome, it’s not easy to know what will be the best way forwards, nor how simple/inexpensive remedial work will be.

This link provides guidance on the suggested lifespan of leisure-vehicle regulators and gas hoses.

https://www.outdoorbits.com/blog/2019/08/are-my-lpg-hose-and-regulator-in-date/

Archived