m/homecaravanclub

charleydog

747 - 2021-01-29 9:28 AM

You joined the wrong Club Charley. :D

We regularly stay in York for less than £10 a night. It is not central but is a perfect spot for us (and others). ;-)

That's helpful....Thanks!? ;-)

747 - 2021-01-29 9:28 AM

You joined the wrong Club Charley. :D

We regularly stay in York for less than £10 a night. It is not central but is a perfect spot for us (and others). ;-)

And with your bus pass, who cares if it isn't in the centre? Very soon unless you have a motorhome powered by angel pollen you won't be allowed anywhere near a city centre in a motorhome anyway.

Actually, being serious for a moment. As we are uncertain whether France will welcome us any longer, I am thinking horror of horrors, of 'having' to join one of the clubs. I will not be paying £30 a night so which of the clubs has the most CLs, or to put it another way £5 overnight camper parking charges? I will want access to a tap and a toilet disposal facility once a week, nothing else. No swings, roundabouts, shops, restaurants, EHU, flags or dancing women.

Well maybe the dancing women . . . . . .

Actually to be totally accurate first of all I will want to be ABLE to get in it and drive it somewhere and stay overnight.

charleydog - 2021-01-29 1:22 PM

It is not a night in York centre, it's a night on a patch of gravel where you share a toilet with hundreds of others ,get your own water and dispose of your own waste. that is not value. I assume 747 that is a cl?

PM sent Charley.

It is not a night in York centre, it's a night on a patch of gravel where you share a toilet with hundreds of others ,get your own water and dispose of your own waste. that is not value. I assume 747 that is a cl?

Surely that is the element of caravanning or motor homing if you do not like it why do it ? You could go to a Premier inn and sleep in the same bed as Lenny Henry or others did ?

vindiboy - 2021-01-30 5:09 PM

Surely that is the element of caravanning or motor homing if you do not like it why do it ? You could go to a Premier inn and sleep in the same bed as Lenny Henry or others did ?

Well said you ! My thoughts exactly .

And mine....

The "price per night" is never going to stand any comparison with a budget hotel versus the cost of buying and running a motorhome plus pitch fees. You could double the hotel cost and it would still be cheaper in reality.....

The OP might be in the wrong hobby. Now might be a good time to sell the van, secondhand prices seem very high at the moment....!

Just Checking uk Sites , For September if lockdown in Eu prevents us travelling.

Not suprised to see the hike in prices, Got one £35 pn midweek .£45 weekend. This was not club sitesThey know they have a staycation market .Will be shopping around.

UK campsite and CL prices have always been higher than Continental equivalents and it stems from the fact that there are more costly construction standards for camping pitches in UK as well as planning law restrictions and there is therefore a higher demand for fewer pitches. There are also hardly any "Aires" availability in UK, even pay--per-nght ones, so they are relatively expensive in UK too. Until our planning laws and tax system loosen up to allow lots more pitches to become available it doesn't seem likely that MH touring in UK will become remotely as free and easy as touring on the Continent.

We're getting older and wondering whether we'll continue wanting to tour abroad (coronoviruus restrictions, more complex pet travel procedures etc) so we're also wondering whether we might as well switch to touring in UK by car and staying in B&Bs and hotels.

The volunteer run rallies and holiday meets run under exemption certificates held by both clubs along with a few other interest groups, could well offer one of the cheapest overnight camping options with basic facilities.

Having said that, someone wanting just to use these volunteer's efforts and the associated facilities for nothing more than minimal cost camping, could find the normal convivial welcome begin to cool.

StuartO - 2021-01-31 11:31 AM

UK campsite and CL prices have always been higher than Continental equivalents and it stems from the fact that there are more costly construction standards for camping pitches in UK as well as planning law restrictions and there is therefore a higher demand for fewer pitches. There are also hardly any "Aires" availability in UK, even pay--per-nght ones, so they are relatively expensive in UK too. Until our planning laws and tax system loosen up to allow lots more pitches to become available it doesn't seem likely that MH touring in UK will become remotely as free and easy as touring on the Continent.

We're getting older and wondering whether we'll continue wanting to tour abroad (coronoviruus restrictions, more complex pet travel procedures etc) so we're also wondering whether we might as well switch to touring in UK by car and staying in B&Bs and hotels.

BnB and Hotels /SCREEEEEAAAM No just tootle round the UK in your van use DA rallies and Temporary holiday sights , Camping and Caravan club soooo easy to do no booking usually either, love it.

https://ibb.co/wJJ8T4D

I was only making note of the very large increase in site fees when this very wealthy business. closed the toilet/shower block at Grafton waters site, last year, over the cost of a new boiler!. and I have had various m/homes for twenty-two years, so a bit late for the wrong hobby:-S

Another thread where people are complaining about the lack of Aires in the UK.

Apart from the fact that only a few have water and waste facilities the Great Bristish Pub is a great substitue for and Aire.

Use google maps find a pub near where you want to be with a big car park and give them a ring.

Most of the ones we have tried will let you stay for the night particularly if you suggest you will be in for a drink or something to eat.

Come on guys big up Britain its a great place to live.

One just has to look past the haters for the good.

Totally agree.

You may/maynot be aware of the very vigourous Campaign for Real Aires (CAMpRA) https://campra.org.uk/

Have a look and sign up to support the campaign. There's a lot of good work going on.

They are also on Facebook: https://campra.org.uk/

It isn't a chat room it's a serious campaign with good documentation to work with councils/private land owners to provide proper overnight stops in the UK.

The Campaign has got the attention not only of local authorities but also government ministers.

There's very good political interest in providing overnight facilties for motorhomes on "staycation".

However, no interest from the two main clubs - no surprise there!

Lots of time on our hands to apply pressure to councils/tourism organisations etc.

Archived